“Sublime views and great company. I love this place.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Way Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huaraz
The Way Inn
Ranked #19 of 55 Huaraz B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“Sublime views and great company. I love this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Let me tell you about The Way Inn. The owner built it himself, from scratch, over almost a decade, with the aim of creating a modern yet rustic lodge at the edge of the world and a jumping-off point for adventures in the high mountains and beyond. The Way Inn is perched on the edge of a high plateau overlooking the city of Huaraz, and it also sits at the feet of some very tall mountains indeed. The view from the lodge is like a dream I didn't want to wake up from. I sat by the fire for hours staring out over the Andes like a child seeing it all for the first time. It's enormous, it goes on and on, it's basically the entire reason why people travel to a a place like this, because the view itself is better than anything on television.

You can walk out the door of the lodge and ascend right into the rooftop of the world. The day hike to Laguna Churup was a tour of some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen in South America. When I returned, short of breath and exhausted from the walk, I went directly into the sauna, and then jumped into the icy stream flowing just outside the door--exhilarating!

There are several options for lodging at the Way Inn-- a bunkhouse built right into the hillside with some clever engineering around an enormous boulder, providing great insulation from the elements on chilly nights. I believe there's tent camping as well for those on tight budgets. I opted for a private room with a huge bed (down comforter!) with a woodstove at the foot of it. Every detail of these accommodations are expertly observed-- beautiful bathroom for example, and after you've traveled enough in Latin America you really appreciate those kinds of things--and the craftsmanship of the lodge in general is very impressive.

Because of its remote location, there are no other options for meals apart from the kitchen. They do produce some superb cuisine there, though. While its not cheap, it's really not expensive either. I found it all to be fairly priced. You didn't come all this way up from Huaraz to this boutique lodge just to eat granola and crackers, did you? Relax, enjoy the view, take a hike, feel the enormity of the Andes dwarfing your petty day-to-day concerns and putting things back into a larger perspective. They Way Inn is something wholly unique in all the Andes, in my opinion. The owner's a great guy, and he attracts a very diverse and interesting crowd--there is no lack of good company at the lodge, from what I experienced. I can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Dante_Recondo
TheWayInn, Manager at The Way Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

I made a reservation at the Way Inn over a month before the Easter holiday. This is a time in Peru when it is very important to make reservations in advance as places fill up quickly. The initial reservation process was simple over email and I received confirmation for my family's holiday to Huaraz.

Imagine my surprise to then receive an email two weeks before our trip cancelling my reservation. When I responded saying that this must be in error and asking what could be done I was informed that nothing could be done and that they were very sorry. That's it. They did not try to find me accomodation elsewhere or assist my family in finding an alternative plan for our vacation. I tried to find another hotel for our stay but the hotels that had been available a month ago no longer had any availability. As a result, our families vacation was ruined because of the Way Inn.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. They are not responsible or dependable. My families vacation was ruined because of them and they seemed to care very little about this. Stay away unless you want the same surprise to happen to you!

Room Tip: Don't make a reservation there! You'll be much happier.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Elias B
TheWayInn, Manager at The Way Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
We are very sorry for the cancellation but there was an issue beyond our control that required us to cancel all reservations. Turning guests away, especially during the important Semana Santa travel holiday was a very painful decision. We would really like the opportunity to make it up to you and your family and invite you to please come stay with us. We would really like to show you how important our guests' happiness means to us.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing and we look forward to your visit.
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

The place is amazing and not that expensive. Meals are a little bit expensive though. Still it absolutely worths it if you plan to stay for a few days. There are plenty of places around to trek, climb, camp or whatever you want to do. People who works there is very nice, friendly and helpful, the views are great. I absolutely adored this hostel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
TheWayInn, Manager at The Way Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

Our meal prices are higher mostly because we only source the highest quality ingredients. Many times these ingredients are not available locally and must be shipped from Lima (sometimes even further). In the meantime, we are working towards building a sustainable system of agriculture on our land so that we can grow wonderful fresh foods in our own gardens.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you as a guest again soon.
Huaraz, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

To start out, I believe the thing that sets this place apart from other B&B's in the area are the accomodations. There really isn't anything like it's comfort level and number of offerings in the area I've seen.

I went in the low season, mid-November, and had quite a memorable stay. I arrived to rain and chilly temps in the afternoon, looking to just stay a night. I had heard it was a quite nice lodge with good access to hikes. Due to the rain, I was skeptical about hiking. As the sun started to go down in the evening, something amazing happened: The clouds and rain started to move out. This allowed for some absolutely gorgeous pictures during sundown around the lodge and of the Cordillera Blanca. I decided that if the weather stayed relatively clear the next morning, I would attempt a close hike.

The lodge was quite comfortable, with a high-output wood stove in the sitting area, along with a loft and kitchen area to relax. Dinner was an extra charge, but very tastey and worth it. I played some board games and had a nice talk with some travelers while winding down. I opted for a stay in the Cave House, a dorm-like accomodation with 15 beds. During the low season, there were only 4 of us there and it was extremely comfortable and quiet.

I awoke to my choice of breakfast and quickly scanned through their guide of area hikes. I chose the Laguna Churup hike due to it's proximity and views. You can read my review of that hike by searching for "Lake Churup" in Huaraz activities. I was able to buy a sack lunch and take it with me. It was a huge meal for the high-altitude climb, and I couldn't finish all of it!

Taxis can take you from town up, or you can opt for a combi most of the way up and walk the rest. It is about a 30 min taxi ride, so it would be quite the walk. The lodge can arrange taxis down, and it is suggested to share with other travelers to lower the cost.

All in all, I wish I had another day to spend at this place. I can't wait to go back for another relaxing weekend in the near future!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Joe N
TheWayInn, Manager at The Way Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you again soon!
LIma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

The place and surroundings are beautifull. You can tell the owner invested a great deal of thought and planning to this lodge. I stayed there for three nights, friday through Monday morning, during a national holliday, and I regret some things about the lodge: 1. DIRTY, the bathrooms were horrible, it looked like stadium bathrooms, every morning past 9 AM you could not go into the bathrooms, they had all the way from vomit to other things on floors and trash baskets were overflowing 2. Lack of personnel - there are no cleaning personell, the morning cooks close the restaurant at 10am and go do the hotel cleaning ! so you must have breakfast early. 3. The place closes down completely at 9.30. lights out, and you are practically kicked out of the main house, so if your plan is to have an enjoyable evening, forget about it, lights out, sleep at 9.30pm, so its like summer camp!! even worst I think 4. There is a guy there called Anthony, he hates kids, so dont bring them here, he is serious and gives you bad looks for anything you might do, so if your plan is to hike all day, this place is perfect, if your plan is to relax at the hotel, forget about it, you feel unwelcome and are unwelcome 90 percent of the time, oh and at time of checkout, NO invoice, NO tickets, just was charged and was not given any kinds of receipts, not even a hand tally to see what we had consumed !! ask for one ? chances were we could get shot like in the wild west !! so if your plan is to go there make sure the adminsitration has changed, or else go somewhere else to enjoy your vacation. A pitty, as the place is nice, the surroundings are great, but the owner apparently is completely blind, or simply does not care about his business!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank LImaJaime
Imperial, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

The current manager ruined our extended stay at this establishment.

These are the things that went right:
1) The morning/afternoon girls in the kitchen/hospitality positions were very friendly.
2) The evening chef, also very friendly and served absolutely delicious meals.
3) Ryan was very friendly and had a lot of excellent and useful information for mountain climbing in the area. Despite his maintenance position, he had the best "people-person" attitude.

This is what went wrong:
1) Daily yoga classes - non-existent
2) Meditation classes - non-existent
3) Rock climbing wall - under construction
4) Sauna - under construction
5) ANTONY: This man went out of his way to make us feel unwelcome.
5a) Antony stated more than once, that campers and dormitory guests do not spend enough money to warrant the same services as people paying for a room. Despite advertising these services to us lower rung guests.
5b) Antony made a variety of vile comments about American citizens. As American travelers, we're used to hearing negative comments about our home but his behavior, especially as a manager, crossed the line on more than one occasion.
5c) Antony blatantly talked about both myself and my husband to other guests and employees, his comments were negative and derogatory, such as referring to us as "uneducated, high school drop outs."
5d) Any time we needed to ask for help from Antony, he would scoff (on two occasions he yelled at me) for even thinking to ask for his help.
5e) Antony limited our internet usage to the point where most days I was unable to use it at all for no apparent reason, as either he or no one else was on the connection.
5f) We have been traveling for 7 months and this was by far the worst experience, we have never been made to feel so unwelcome and uncomfortable.

If Antony wasn't the face of the Way Inn as he was during our stay, we would have been happy to say we had an incredible stay even despite some of their lacking services. The location is perfect, the surroundings are absolutely gorgeous, the food was spectacular! Unfortunately, Antony completely ruined our time here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
24 Thank BriannaNicolle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I loved this place. The location is spectacular, with easy access to many day hikes. The accommodation itself is lovely and very clean. My major problem was the food; while tasty dinner was 30 s/ and definately not enough to satisfy the smallest of appetites. The remote location and lack of kitchen means this is the only food option. It was a disappointing addition to a beautiful and relaxing four days.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huaraz
Cuesta Serena Boutique Hotel
#10 of 57 in Huaraz
Copacabana Lodge
Copacabana Lodge
#1 of 4 in Carhuaz

Been to The Way Inn? Share your experiences!