“Find a better company!”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Find a better company!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Prior to our visit in Huaraz we looked into companies to go to the Santa Cruz trek with. Having read their reviews we decided to go look for a different agency. Unfortunately, we ended up booking this trek thru our hostel, which, as it turned out, meant going with Galaxia...
First thing first, the Santa Cruz trek is amazing! The scenery is unbelievable and breathtaking! It is not that difficult, and actually can easily be done with a private guide or alone (which will be also much cheaper!)
Now, the tents we got weren't made for this kind of climate. They weren't warm and got wet fast. Although dinner and breakfast were ok, for lunch we got only a small bag of snacks and one sandwich, which wasn't enough for the whole day. The guide in not really a guide, he just knows the way - so don't expect any info while you're there or any kind of breaks. We were promised to be two gropes of 8 people maximum and ended up being one group of 17! We didn't have enough space in the dining tent (which was leaking also...) and because we walk relatively slow didn't meet the guide and the rest of the group until we reached the campsite.
Due to the reviews we made it clear from the first second that we're not going to do this trek in three days, although half of our group did, so for the two last days we were just 7, which made everything nicer.
Moreover, in two different occasions, my boyfriend and I forgot a warm hat and sunglasses outside, and found it worn by the staff... Rude!
This is one of the cheapest companies, but still, we know of at list one other agency (Andescamp) that charges the same but gives a lot more!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“2nd time using galaxia”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Did five days of activities with galaxia on our one week trip to peru. Ice climbed, mountain biked, two day failed attempt at pisco, and sport climbing.

Galaxia has their own transportation which can shave hours off of using the public transport. When sport climbing we used the collectivos, my climbing partner and I ended up just paying for a taxi back because the collectivos were all full.

We tried pisco in two days, with only three days of acclimitizatio. Id recommend a couple more days of structured acclimitization as we ended up havong to turn back due to symptoms. Galaxia should be more assertive with structuring acclimitization for their clients. Nonetheless the climb was a great experience, and Roger is a great guide

1 Thank Mike_07_1983
Sheffield, United Kingdom
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Great guides, mixed experience”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

When I visited last summer, I had a mixed experience overall with Galaxia but I had trouble finding reliable agencies in Huaraz and heard a lot of bad stories about the majority of them.

In the end, I did 3 trips with them, 2 of which were amazing. The first, Vallunaraju, was probably the most challenging thing I have ever done! The altitude (5686m) hit me hard and I struggled to even get to base camp on the first day. In the end I made it to the top, but only due to my amazing guide and his incredible patience! It was absolutely incredible and I couldn't fault it at all.

I also had a day rock climbing one-on-one with a guide and it was great fun and I really enjoyed it!

Having said this, the Laguna 69 experience wasn't so great. The agency bus dropped us off (apparently over an hour later than they were supposed to!) and we walked slowly but surely (with no more than 45 mins break in total for lunch & snacks) as the 2 people I were with struggled with the altitude. Upon arriving back at the pick-up point, we were greeted with an angry taxi driver claiming we had made him wait for hours!

Firstly, it was lucky I spoke Spanish to be able to make any sense of the situation and secondly, it seemed the bus had not bothered to wait and told a local taxi driver to wait for us. As a girl travelling alone, getting into a car with an unknown man in the middle of nowhere with no evidence of what the agency had said filled me with complete fear but I had no other option but to hope he was telling the truth.

It soon became dark and the taxi driver told us to get out and swap to another taxi (someone who just stopped and started chatting to him en route) without any explanation at all. I was honestly terrified and furious when I managed to get back to the agency and explain the danger they had put me in. Apparently it was a new driver who wasn't familiar with the system and assumed it would be ok.

Overall, I loved Vallunaraju and the guides that joined us were incredible, as well as for the rock climbing, but the fact that the agency left us at Laguna 69 assuming we'd be happy to get into a taxi in the middle of nowhere with a very angry driver without any confirmation or explanation from them first leaves me with very mixed feelings as a whole.

My suggestion would be to make sure you have a local sim card and the office phone number if you go on any of their trips and hope you can get phone signal just in case your transport has left without you! Bring extra money too for an improvised taxi home!

Visited December 2012
Berlin, Germany
“Well organized family trip”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I am happy with them. My family was there in summer and we get very good service and attention. We did one day treks with our sons 7 and 10 years old and I climbed mountain Pisco with my wife. Very good guide, well organized everything especially with young children. Guide had patience with us because we were not so fast, we get a good transportation, good food and everything the way we wanted. I can recommend the company because my family had a very good experience with them.

Visited August 2013
Hod-hasharon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“You don't always get what you paid for”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I took a four day three night tour of the Santa Cruz trek with Galaxia Expeditions. We were seven participants, a guide/cook and donkey-driver. Leo, our guide and cook was clearly overburdened, and as a consequence, though breakfast and dinner were satisfactory, lunches were bated and consisted of a small dry sandwich, crackers and a piece of fruit. Our guide was supposed to be an English speaker, but elected to speak Spanish. After asking twenty or thirty times to hear the English version of whatever was being said, I resigned myself to hope that I would be informed if anything important was conveyed. Finally, two of our group had signed up for a three day tour, which effectively meant that we all had to do the three day tour (walking the planed third and fourth days in one go on the third day, which is difficult), and the fourth day consisted solely of soaking in hot water springs.

Visited November 2013