Hotel Galaxia
  • Bar/Lounge
$297
AndesCamp Hostel(Huaraz)(Great Value!)
Akilpo Hostal(Huaraz)(Great Value!)
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'm so glad to have found this place, and I can't give anything but a glowing review to this superb 3* hotel.
It's a big hotel (three or four-storeys high) with a roof terrace which offers amazing views of the snow-capped mountains in the distance.
The hotel is run by a charismatic lady and her young, energetic daughter. This guarantees a personal attention and service throughout your stay.
The lady doesn't speak English, which was a perfect opportunity for me to practice my Spanish. This would, sometimes, lead to comic situations, when I would misspel words, and both the owner and I would start laughing (she's got a great sense of humour!).
Needless to say, these situations wouldn't arise with the owner's daughter, who speaks good English, yet she's so pleasant and accommodating, that sometimes I'd be left speechless at how kind a person she is (she even waited for me, at 7:00am, to let me in into the hotel!).
I smirked when I read other people's reviews on Tripadvisor, who went to other, more expensive hotels in Huaraz, and then complained about poor service, or lack of hot water, or dishonest staff. Expensive hotel rates in Huaraz (even those claiming to have 4 stars!) do not, necessarily, translate into an impeccable service and top-grade accommodation. So, why pay 80 or even 100-120 soles to others, when you can get a decent accommodation with personal service, hot water, cable TV in your room (with BBC and CNN channels in English), and a working (!!!) Wi-Fi for 35 soles per night (if you are on your own), or 50 soles (if you're a couple).
The attention to guests at this hotel is so good that when, during the initial period, I failed to poke my nose out of the hotel room for quite a while (headaches due to altitude sickness), the owners, with genuine sympathy, enquired about my well-being, and then, for two days in a row, were bringing "coca mate" to my hotel room....gratis. It's small details like that that make the world of a difference between the commercial hotels, driven by profit, and a family-owned hotel like "Galaxia".
In terms of its location, its located next to some inconspicuous square, a few blocks away from the Plaza de Armas.
If you are in Huaraz - give this place a go (and if you get hungry, go and visit the best grill restaurant in Huaraz - "Ajo Picante" - conveniently located a few steps away on the right-handside, when you exit the hotel).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors, if you want some bright room with sunshine.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
13  Thank Lukas999
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights and it was a good base for our visit to Huaraz. Very central location, and despite arriving at 7am after our overnight bus, we were shown straight to a room where we could catch up on some sleep.

The old lady who owns the place speaks no English and was a bit hit and miss in her moods, but her daughter was really helpful and arranged several tours for us.

The rooms can get a bit noisy and would really benefit from a lick of paint, but there is hot water 24 hours a day and wifi throughout. Overall it served us very well.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Lateralus83
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The innkeeper and her daughter were both friendly and helpful. We especially appreciate the fact that Hotel Galaxia is pet-friendly. They also arranged for our laundry to be done, at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline E
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This spot was a good find. We walked in with no reservation, but were given a great room with a reasonable rate. Excellent internet, hot water. Nice sunny patio on the roof. Staff/owners were very nice and helpful. Close to the bus stops and central plaza, lots of shops and restaurants all around.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aguafijo
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Very good location- walking distance to Cruz del sur bus station. Large rooms with plenty of storage space. Powerful hot showers. Best Internet we had in peru.
Owners are very kind. Younger woman speaks good English. The hotel is a little old but kept very clean.
Booked through booking.com.
Only negative is no breakfast included.

• Stayed: February 2012