“Comfortable and Friendly”
Review of AndesCamp Hostel

AndesCamp Hostel
Ranked #2 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Huaraz
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Andes Camp Lodge is a great hostel to stay at in Huaraz. Once I arrived I felt welcomed and the staff were very kind and hospitable. It is a clean place that has wifi, delicious breakfast, a kitchen, tv with lots of movies to chose from, a nice bar, hot water, and a good price. As I read other reviews some people mentioned very particular aspects that did not satisfy them but I think if you are a down to earth traveler that wants a nice place to stay for a good price, Andes Camp Lodge is the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank t_erica5

Reviewed July 5, 2013

The previous reviewer wrote "home sweet home".....I see it as the exact opposite. I came with really high expectations, however they tried to make their best to make me feel 'unwanted'.
Before listing all of my bad experiences with the place, I gotta say that the staff is nice and helpful. But that's all.
First, the amenities are pretty bad - two showers for the whole hostel, not that clean either, room's garbage bin has been overflowing for three days, the blankets aren't comfortable, the kitchen is lacking a lot of utensils and half the light bulbs in the hostel are just missing and that place is dark.
Now to the second part...making me feel unwanted: the computer cannot be used after 10:00pm. Also, when cooking dinner, there weren't enough chairs upstairs and I asked the guy at the reception to take some from the bar (which was completely empty!), however, he didn't let me. There's really no reason for that. The hostel was 90% empty.
Also - THERE'S NO BREAKFAST ON SUNDAY! (The only hostel in Huaraz that does that!!)
Now to the things that really got on my nerves - the reason I went to Huaraz is to go hiking, like 99% percent of the tourists there....Why the [--] do I have to pay 7 sols in order to take a shower if I'm not staying in the hostel after returning from the hike (I continued on to the bus terminal)....Not to mention that this is one of the most expansive hostels in Huaraz, and my friends that were staying at half-priced hostels had a much better experience!
Just do yourself a favor and get a cheaper and better place to stay in. I wish I did. It's nice to return to a warm and welcoming place after a tough hike and not to a bat's cave.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Oran K
andescamp, Manager at AndesCamp Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

We were very surprised and dissapointed to see this negative review here, as this client expressed none of these feelings to us while he was with us at Andescamp. We wish we could have known so we could try to improve his experience.
We feel very sorry that you felt we tried (our) best to make you feel unwanted, even though you thought the staff was nice and helpful. We are definitely sorry but a little confused as to how both of those things could be true at the same time.
Here we would like to answer some of your questions and concerns. The first thing you mentioned about feeling unwelcome was the computer. We suppose you didn't notice that we live in the area with the computer, and since we open the door for arriving tourists at 5 to 6am every morning, we like to get some shut eye after 10pm:) We apologize that we didn't make that clear for you. We would also like to remind you that there is WiFi throughout the entire building 24 hours per day.
Also, we try to make our kitchen policy very clear: We don't keep utensils or dishes in the kitchen because they always get broken or stolen. So, if someone would like to use the kitchen, we have everything readily available on request, to be brought back to us when you are finished.
Unfortunately the bar chairs are not included in this, as they are expensive and carrying them up 4 flights of narrow stairs to the guest kitchen is sure to do some kind of damage to the chairs or the walls. We never thought a client would think he had the right to move the property like that, but we're sorry for your disappointment.
To answer your question about the showers, you kind of answered it yourself...
Why the (...) do I have to pay 7 sols in order to take a shower if ***I'm not staying in the hostel*** after returning from the hike. (emphasis added)
You're not staying in the hostel and you want to take a shower and use our gas (which is VERY expensive here in Peru) for free. Honestly, do you think this is a charity? You really think we are somehow obligated to do you a favor and pay for your long hot shower when you are not staying in the hostel anymore? You will not find a hostel in this country who will do that for you...if you do you might want to make sure its not a homeless shelter:)
Again, we sincerely apologize that you did not feel welcome and felt you were returning to a bat's cave. We will do our best to improve the atmosphere of the place and the cleanliness of the rooms, thank you for informing us of the lack of service from our cleaning staff.
We hope that in the future before you write such a negative review you will think about the whole perpective and not expect a business to do you so many personal favors.
We also hope that you are enjoying the rest of your trip through South America:)

Saludos,
Andescamp Staff

Reviewed June 7, 2013

A very nice hostel. Not expensive. The staff are really great. They will help you with anything you need. The hostel always clean. free wifi and Internet. a really good breakfast!
Good beds. Laundry service and a bar!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Andescamp Lodge is clean and comfortable, for a good price. Frank is an extremely friendly, hospitable guy who is willing and glad to share his advice and experiences about Huaraz to new and seasoned travelers. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: all rooms are good!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hannahpup
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I staed at andescamp lodj for about 4 days. the location was grear, the price was ralky good, you have braekfast and a kitchen for your personal use.
frank, the owner is the most friendly man i ever met, he helped us with everthing we needed, from going out to one of to trecks till calling a taxi to the bus station. he speaks perfect english (and alittle hebrow).
to summerize-i rally rocommend this hostel, have anice stay...

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Ortal G
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Hi everyone
I arrived to AndesCamp after a long overnight bus from Lima to Huaraz, following friends' recommendations.
Frank welcomed me with a big smile, tea and great pancakes.
Frank, is a great guy. He helps people with questions, information and recommends special places. The atmosphere is warm and friendly, you'll feel like home.
I really enjoyed the hostel. Great shower, walking distance from the city center. As well, all you need you can get in a hostel. Great hospitality
There's also a good travel agency in the hostel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank carmen w
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Andescamp was one of the best hostels I stayed in during my time in South America. I was genuinely impressed by the friendliness of the owner and staff, the hot showers with great water pressure (best I had during my entire trip of six months), the orthopedic mattresses and the fancy homemade breakfast. I did the Laguna 69 trek and the Pastoruri Glacier trip through the Andescamp agency and that went perfectly as well, I highly recommend those trips especially if you don't have a lot of time.
I had read some bad reviews about Andescamp here so I was a little skeptical, but I had a completely positive experience in every area. The review saying the sheets never get washed, etc. appears to be a lie because I saw them being changed often during my week long stay, and everyone I talked to had payed the same price that I did. Also the people saying its a ten minute walk from the center must walk pretty slow, because it was only five minutes for me and I would never have paid a taxi for such a short distance.
It's a great place and I will definitely stay there again if I go back to Huaraz!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo