“Expensive and definitely don't do their tours”

Hotel El Huacachinero
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Huacachina
London
“Expensive and definitely don't do their tours”
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

I was very disappointed with my stay here. On an early arrival at the hotel they informed me that it was a 3pm check in. I was allowed to leave my bags there but when I returned just before 3pm I noticed that several other people had in fact checked in,in rooms I knew were empty as I saw other people come and check them out earlier in the day. Still they were very jobsworthy and it was more like 3.30pm which I think is really cheeky as it wasn't a cheap place to stay. Secondly I was informed of their tours. Don't book with them the first one didn't materialise and I booked with the banana hostal for the dune buggying at half the price for the same trip. If you're wanting to do the wine tour then get a cab to the wineries you don't need a trip. The hotel's trip didn't happen and they were very rude,so I did it alone. In a few words stay elsewhere and definitely don't book your trips there!!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank nomadicnomad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Irvine, California
Reviewed July 22, 2012

No, this isn't a 4-star hotel, but for Huacachina it earns a four star review. There's really not much to do in Huacachina besides riding the dunes then relaxing poolside. And this is what the hotel offers, nothing more, nothing less.

It's a cozy hotel with spartan rooms. We're talking bare bones, just a bed and a lamp. There's no TV, no closet, no decorations, nothing fancy, just what you need. The room is lit by those bright fluorescent energy saving bulbs that really hurt the eyes. It gets the job done, but the complaint I have is that the walls are really thin so we were awoken by a loud party at the Casa de Arena hotel, two buildings down the street.

The pool looked nice, and it was in a beautiful setting in the center of the property with the towering sand dunes in the backdrop, but we didn't have a chance to go in.

The hotel also features a nice, slightly more upscale restaurant. The food and drinks were good but it didn't represent the higher cost. With such few food options in Huacachina, it makes sense that they're going to cost more than they should.

The only other small complaint I have is that when I booked through Pacarama, I didn't know the hotel offered dune buggy rides. When I told the front staff upon check-in that I had booked a ride with Casa de Arena, they seemed pretty annoyed and got short with me.

Other than that, it was a nice stay at a simple hotel. Huacachina is a pretty cool place to visit for one day -- the dune buggy ride and sand-sledding were one of the funnest activities we did on our trip -- and this hotel is definitely one of the better hotels to stay at if you're looking for something calmer (Casa de Arena is the party hotel).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NoWayJoseCuervo
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Really enjoyed the stay in this hotel. We stayed there two nights visiting Huacachina. It's a small walk to the real 'center': oasis, restos, shops, which is fine!

The room is spacious enough and has wifi. The service is great and the restaurant is pricy for the location, but we really enjoyed it.

The breakfast is basic, if you want scrambled eggs you need to pay extra.

Plus, you gave a great view over the sandmountains! We would really recommend the sand buggy and sandboarding when the sun goes down.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
boston
Reviewed June 18, 2012

On our recent trip to Peru, we spent two nights at El Huacachinero hotel just outside of Ica, which was only a short walk to the lagoon (oasis), shops, restaurant and views of the amazing desert. The hotel offers cozy rooms, pool, restaurant, bar and fun, fun, fun sand dune buggie rides and sand boarding. We went at sunset and it was gorgeous - the highest dunes ever! We enjoyed our time here and recommend it highly. The décor fits right into the desert environment. The food was yum, varied and always served by the nicest waiters/waitresses. Rooms were comfortable & clean, check in and out was prompt and the front desk was always friendly. If you ever get to the oasis, check it out, we loved it here!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor offer great views of the pool and sand dune. Quiet the end of May. Perfe...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nala22
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed one night there in Apr 2012.
Our room was just opposite to the front desk. When we got in the room, our first impression was "that's all?" The room size was OK. Two beds, a fan, a rack, a chair, a mosquito, no TV. The bathroom was spacious and clean enough. There's a curtain to hide us from the corridor but we needed to use our own clip to shut the curtain crack.
The room was basic. Outside looked good.
It's easy to get to the dune from the back of the hotel. There's a pool too. Breakfast room looked nice. Wifi connection was OK there.
We booked the dune and sand boarding tour there. Only two of us on the buggy which we think was good. But the tour time was shorter than promised.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FionaChan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel and could not find fault with anything. The hotel appears to have been recently renovated and it is easily the cleanest and most modern looking hotel in town. Rooms are very tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable. WiFi was unreliable in the room but the pool area was a great place to relax and either catch up on the internet or put your nose in a good book. The restaurant was also very modern and relaxing. We enjoyed having breakfast here and my only regret is that we didn't take the opportunity to have dinner here too. On both nights we were lured by the atmosphere and cheaper meals at restaurants down by the lagoon, but on both these occasions the meals were inferior to every other meal we had while in Peru. We booked a dune buggy tour and Ballestas Island tour with the hotel which were both excellent. I also booked a dune buggy tour with one of the tour agencies. The tour agency tour provided a cheaper, more fast packed action and much longer and faster dunes to sandboard, but they all seem to want to travel in a pack of 5 or more buggies. The Hotel tour provided a more laid back tour, stopping to appreciate views of Ica, the sunset and an isolated oasis.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank survdale
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My fiance and I, and 2 friends traveled to this hotel in August 2011. We took a bus down to Ica, and then a sketchy cab from the the bus stop to the hotel. We arrived at this hotel late in the evening 11pm or so, and the door was locked. However after knocking, we were quickly let in. It was a nice feeling to know the hotel is secure, as the whole area is a little seedy.
I did a lot of research on options in the area before booking this hotel, and it seems like there are very few decent options. We booked this hotel in advance via emails, and never had any problem. We payed around $50nt which was fine. The rooms themselves are sparse, but ours was clean and the bed was fairly comfortable. This is essentially all we needed as we only spent 2 nights here, and no time in our room. The breakfast as others have reported isn`t great at all. There are a few restaurants around - I can`t remember the one we kept going to, but essential it was a hostal with a restaurant, but it was always very busy and deservingly so. Relaxed place with good food at a cheap price. Cheap drinks also.
We also booked our tours elsewhere as the hotel`s tours are a little overpriced. We payed $12 to do the dune buggying with sandboarding. The best 12 dollars ever spent. What a laugh. The same tour would be a good $100 in Canada.
Overall, this hotel was okay. I would stay here again as the area has limited options, and it was clean and safe. I found the staff to be friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huacachina
Hotel Restaurant Curasi
#4 of 28 in Ica
Hospadeje Rocha
Hospadeje Rocha
#5 of 5 in Huacachina

Been to Hotel El Huacachinero? Share your experiences!