2,097 results
All reviews ceviche the bus the river cooking class machu picchu welcome drink beautiful hotel star hotel pisco sours the hotel staff course dinner breakfast and dinner included dinner i highly recommend this hotel beautiful room sacred valley junior suite
Reviewed October 17, 2018

Compared to other hotels of a similar price in Cuzco and Sacred Valley, Sumaq seems over-priced. This is probably due to the location premium (best spot in Aguas Calientes for catching the bus early up to Machu Picchu) and there are few or no other 5 star hotels in Aguas Calientes. The front desk staff was very good at helping us arrange all the last minute details for our perfect visit to Machu Picchu.
They claim they had a staff person at the train station to receive us, but we never saw him/her so finding our way walking there with big suitcases was tricky. For the way out, they were very helpful in meeting us with our suitcases to the door of the train station.
Rooms were nice and comfortable, but again, not as much as other hotels for the same price in Sacred Valley.
Food was OK, not great, and might have made us sick.

Room tip: Our room had a great view of the river and the mountain
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank RYunis
AsesorViajes, Director de Relaciones Públicas at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2018

Dear RYunis,
We thank you for choosing Sumaq as your hotel during your trip to Machu Picchu. We are sorry that your Sumaq experience has not met your expectations. We take your comments very seriously because only then can we continue to improve and create a cultural experience for everyone.
We will carefully ensure that none of our guests have the same concern again.
We hope that you come back very soon and experience the improvements that we have implemented. Best regards.

Reviewed October 15, 2018

This is a very nice hotel. Every detail is taken care of. Beautiful rooms. And the food is great! Location is great...very close to the buses that take you up to machu picchu. I really enjoyed my stay.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Judi H
AsesorViajes, Director de Relaciones Públicas at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

Dear Judi H,
Greetings from the Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel family. We appreciate your preference during your trip to Machu Picchu. We work hard to meet your expectations, and we are happy to know that our staff, culinary experience and services in general have been to your liking.
Your opinion encourages us to continue working as we take part in the wonderful experience that our guests have in Machu Picchu.

Reviewed October 13, 2018

We took the Vistadome train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. We had a reservation at the Sumac Hotel and we were supposed to be picked up at the train station and taken to the hotel. Well, we sort of were. A man holding up a sign with our name WALKED us from the train depot to the hotel (not helping us with our luggage). But when we arrived at the hotel, it was a lovely experience. Kudos to Jessica. She checked us in and helped us get comfortable, answering many questions about the surroundings and what to expect the next day when we had plans to go to Machu Picchu. Our room was large, air conditioned and had a river view. Dinner was great, breakfast was abundant. After a long, tiring day climbing Huana Picchu, the hotel felt like our own oasis.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear zarknyc,
Greetings from the Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel family.
We appreciate your preference during your trip to Machu Picchu.
Your comment motivates us to continue working passionately. Our mission is to be part of the wonderful experience that all our guests experience in the sanctuary. We hope that you will return very soon. Best regards.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

We loved our one night at the beautiful Sumaq hotel. Nestled into the side of the mountain and kissed by the charming Urubamba river flowing by, the Sumaq was the perfect answer to the kind of long travel days that bring visitors to Aguas Calientes. We played planes, trains and automobiles for nearly 12 hours to arrive on the step of the Sumaq and immediately feel welcomed with good food, drink and pleasant staff.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank D8156PVjessicap

Dear Jessica P,

Reviewed October 9, 2018

This is an excellent hotel. I am glad I stayed there. The half-board arrangement (breakfast and dinner) was perfect for the type of activities I carried out in the area --it was great to have high quality food without having to do the research or advanced booking. The chef and dining staff are amazing, and very, very courteous. The food was superb and obviously high quality. Having complimented the chef's creation the night before, I was offered a complimentary small appetizer with an edible flower that has my name --a very sweet gesture from the chef and his team. The young staff serving you dinner are absolutely lovely and I enjoyed chatting with them.

I also had the time to enjoy one of their "cooking classes" which was relaxed and really did not last long (40 minutes or so). The fact that I was the only student did not deter the chef and the bartender from offering me a welcoming, fun, and lovely experience!

The room was immaculately clean, spacious, with gorgeous views of the river and mountains. The pros of my view was that I was also able to see the queue to the early morning buses to Machu Picchu/Wayna Picchu, so as soon as the lines started forming at around 4am, I just went down and grabbed my spot in the line.

The down side is: if you want to sleep in, you cannot because of the noise of the busses going back and forth which start at 5:30am (I read other reviews before booking that the other side of the hotel had the train noise!).

A few things however that can make this place better (and I hope someone at management is reading):
1) The first room given to me was on the second floor and the bathroom stank of the smell of cigarette smoke. While unpleasant tourists who do this are a problem to the hotel management, I truly wish that when I called this was handled a bit better. First they sent someone with air freshener, as if this will solve the problem. Only upon my insistence did they give me another room.

2) I paid extra for a room with a view, but after the episode above, I was moved to another room on the fifth floor overlooking the same view: not only was the view nicer, but more important, it was quieter as it was further away from the noise of the buses. What I do not get: if you have two rooms, one with superior quality, and the guest had already paid for that superior quality, why on earth would you place her in the low quality room?!!!

3) I checked in late on arrival, stayed for two nights, and was leaving at 2:15pm on my last day. The hotel was very quiet, and almost empty (judging by the dinning room the night before and the empty reception area). I was very, very tired from strenuous hiking and felt that I was on the verge of getting sick, so I asked if I can check out a bit later (having had to wake up at 5:30am due to the noise from the buses) so that I may take a small nap before my train departs, and I was allowed only 1 hour extra in the room --until noon. While they are entitled to not giving me the room any longer, it would have been courteous, given that the hotel was almost empty, to let me stay that extra couple of hours. I am comparing to the completely different attitude in my hotel in Cusco who simply gave me the room since no one needed it. It left a very positive impression. I guess many people in the industry forget that hospitality is an art.

Room tip: Avoid rooms in the lower floors: because of the noise and the mosquitos.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Luna-14_T
AsesorViajes, Director de Relaciones Públicas at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2018

Dear Luna-14_T,