“wonderful oasis”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Barcelona, Spain
“wonderful oasis”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Piled off the Perurail link from Cusco feeling tired before we did the Macchu Pichu climb but were greeted at the train by courteous and polite staff from the hotel who took our bags - we then strolled to the hotel and were booked in efficently to lovely spacious rooms and a wonderful bathroom. Returning from our 4 hour tour we were treated to a lovely tea in the foyer followed by excellent drinks at the bar. Laterin the evening a truly 5 * meal - it could have come from a top restaurant in the UK. The delicious flavours were a mix of Peruvian and classical and the presentation was simply superb. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
E-commerceSumaq, Gerente at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your preference in Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel!
We are very grateful for your nice words and comments towards our property and services.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City
Reviewed July 14, 2013

After six days touring Peru, we were finally to Machu Picchu. Sumaq transported out bags to the Hotel as we were escorted to the mountain, with no effort or concern. After hours of travel and hiking; we arrived at our hotel. What a treat. We had a spacious and very clean room with wonderful bed linens. The bathroom was also large with lovely smelling products. I think the best part of the experience was the view of the river and delicious dinner. I recommend staying at Sumaq, it was conveniently located on the Machu Picchu bus route and a two minute walk to town. Overall, great experience. It was easy to check email, find a quiet place (with a view to read a book or relax) and recharge one's batteries for another great six days of travel.

Room Tip: The Hiram Bingham train runs directly behind the hotel. It was not a noise issue in the evening but...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
E-commerceSumaq, Gerente at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel for one night. First, let me start by saying if you're concerned about the rates, it's worth it! Since visiting Machu Picchu is a once in a lifetime opportunity for many, I think it's well worth spending extra to be able to experience it the right way.

When I first arrived at the train station in Aguas Calientes around noon (as suggested by the hotel when I first made the reservation), a representative from SUMAQ was there to greet me and offered me the option of going directly to Machu Picchu or going to the hotel first. I wanted to get situated so I went to the hotel first (which was only a few minutes away by foot). Another assistant from the hotel carried my bag as we walked. Once I got to the hotel, a fruit drink and some chips were waiting for me as another representative discussed the room and my tour plans.

I did a special Wayna Picchu Program which I'm not sure is still available at SUMAQ, but even if it's not, I'm sure they will provide something like it. On the first day, I was given to/from bus tickets along with entry tickets to Machu Picchu including a guide. Although it's not necessary to have a guide, it was sure helpful to learn the history of the ruins and to be shown around without getting overwhelmed. The time in which I went was also favorable since most tourists in the large groups normally arrive between 10 and 12. I was there between 2-4. Machu Picchu closes at 5. I recommend setting up your visit between 2-4 or go real early to beat the crowds (at least before 9). The guide was very friendly, answered the questions I had about the ruins and accomodated me with the pictures I wanted to take. Once the bus took me back to the hotel, I had dinner. I wasn't aware but the first meal was included in my total bill. The dinner was spectacular and one of the best meals I had in a long time (especially the bread and dessert). The room itself was spacious, clean and the balcony provided a wonderful view of the river/rocks outside. Beautiful location and surroundings! I stayed in a junior deluxe suite.

The next day I woke up at 5 AM to eat a great breakfast (which pretty much had anything you wanted) and headed back to the park to hike/climb Wayna Picchu. Now, since only 400 are allowed to enter that portion of the park per day, you need to make sure you get tickets ahead of time before they are sold out. I was able to get mine through the hotel via the program they were offering at the time. Be sure to ask them while you are setting up your reservation if hiking the WP interests you. Also, there was no guide for that part.

Once the hike was over and I spent a little more time discovering Machu Picchu, I took the bus back to the hotel (which is the only hotel the bus picked up and dropped off at) and was able to rest in the lobby until my train was scheduled to take me back to Cusco. The hotel attendants were pleasant and I never felt like I was being pushed out of the place just because my stay was over.

Note: This is so small and probably something that only applies to me. However, I was going to have lunch at the hotel but they don't have any Coke or Pepsi products. There are times when you just need to have a soft drink but all they had was Inca Cola (which looks like Mello Yello). Thus, I ventured out to a restaurant near the tracks inside the town of Aguas Calientes (which I probably should have done anyway to explore) and found a place that had my Coke Zero!

Anyway, you won't regret your stay at SUMAQ. The price is justified since this will be an extremely special experience and you don't want to short change yourself by staying at just any hotel. I appreciated the staff during my stay and the services they provided (such as receiving my bag at the train station so I didn't need to carry it there myself). The hotel was reliable and my item was there when they said it would be (which from my observation wasn't the case for those that stayed at other hotels).

Room Tip: I stayed in a Junior Deluxe Suite and was very happy with it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Clovertie
Thank you for choosing Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel

Really glad to realize that you had a wonderful experience while in our hotel, the only five star of Machu Picchu Town. Thank you for your comments about our oackage Wayna Picchu Program. We are very happy you enjoyed, as you recommend us we are going to update the program very shortly

Thank you again for all your appreciation to us. I look forward to hosting you at Sumaq again in time.

Annandale, NJ
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel was amazing. First of all, the location in Aguas Calientes is fantastic - a very short walk to the bus stop stop that takes you up to Machu Picchu. The hotel itself is absolutely stunning - from the lobby to the actual rooms. Our room was very spacious, clean, and beautiful decorated. I loved the beautiful bathroom in our room too - very spacious. The views off our balcony were quite nice. The food here is first rate - I had a delicious dinner and an equally delicious breakfast. I highl recommend this wonderful hotel!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
E-commerceSumaq, Gerente at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel while in Machu Picchu

Really glad to realize that you had a wonderful experience while in our hotel, the only five star of Machu Picchu Town. Thank you for your comments on our food. We are very happy you enjoyed it.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel as part of a tour of Peru. The accomodations were excellent. Nice room and bathroom. Great restaurant with very good food. There is a very welcoming atmosphere at reception, and throughout the hotel exhibited by the staff. Close access to Machu Picchu. A beautiful mountain river is just a few yards across the street from the front of this hotel. Easy walking to shopping and restaurants. I definitely would choose the hotel again for a visit to Aguas Calientes!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was the one big splurge in my trip to Peru, and it was totally worth it for the following reasons:
1. Breakfast was fantastic. There were tons of options and it was completely ready bright and early before we headed up to Machu Picchu
2. The bus stops by the hotel to pick you up on the way to Machu PIcchu. If you want to go early, you would normally have to wake up before the crack of dawn and wait in line. If you stay at Sumaq, the bus picks you up. This was a big deal for us; it saved us like 2 hours of sleep
3. Our stay came with a free gourmet dinner, which was also amazing. Only negative - I wish non-alcoholic drinks were included in the "included dinner". My bottle of water was pretty overpriced (as to be expected in a restaurant like that) and who eats dinner without drinking anything? A minor disappointment
4. The view of the Urubamba river from our room was fantastic.
5. The hotel was extremely well organized. They were there to pick us up from the train station, they called the breakfast room ten minute before our bus reservation to check in with us. They met back up with us at the train station with our luggage in plenty of time for our train back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
E-commerceSumaq, Gerente at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We loved everything about the hotel. The staff meeting us at the train, to walk us to the hotel, and tell us about the town! The huge room with a fantastic view of the mountain, and river! The half board deal, included a sensational dinner, all was better than we hoped, and worth the cost! Being so close to the bus to Machu Picchu, and sharing the experience with the staff all added to the pleasure in being here! Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Get a view if possible!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
E-commerceSumaq, Gerente at SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your preference in Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel. Thank you for considering SUMAQ with your 5 points.
Thank you for your comments on our services. As you mentioned, we assistance to our guest from the train station to the hotel and viceversa. Then when they arrive at Sumaq, we give them a welcome drink with and a delicious snack.
We are really glad for your experience with us. We do appreciate your words on your room, we are very sure that you enjoyed your peaceful view to the Vilcanota River.
We are trained into exceeding each of our guests´ expectations.
Indeep, really hope that you had a great time with us and do look forward ot hosting you in the next future.
Sincerely
Casa Andina Standard Machu Picchu
Taypikala Hotel Machupicchu
Taypikala Hotel Machupicchu
#7 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel? Share your experiences!