“Good location, friendly staff, a bit overpriced”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
Hostal El Santuario
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Denmark
“Good location, friendly staff, a bit overpriced”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed for two nights in a nice room with balcony overlooking the valley and the river. Go for the rooms with riverview. The other rooms faced the backside of the building and looked very dark.
Very helpfull and friendly staff, nice terrace with complementary tea. The breakfast was a little less than ok.

• Stayed February 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Hotel was fine- it was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Nothing outstanding but good for 1 night. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Great location near the river away from city noises; clean but service was poor.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We had a river view room on the second floor. The view of the Urubamba river is terrific. The room was basic and clean. The shower had tons of hot water. The room was fairly small but just fine. The staff seems a little dazed but we didn't have any problems. The place wasn't too busy. There is a single computer in the lobby available to guests. The food was fresh, nothing special. There are tons of places in town with great food so no problem there. When we were a bit cold in the room, the staff did give us an additional heater. Good value, and a great view!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank westwilshire
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The view from the hotel is incredible. Facing the Urubamba River and the beginning of the road to Machu Picchu. Comfortable and clean. Attentive staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The staff was not very communicative and the rooms were not that nice. Mind you, it calls it self a hostel, and I was expecting a "hotel", so in a sense it's my bad. I had to check out at 12:00 but didn't need to catch a train until 5. As I was sick that day, I asked them if I could stay in my room until the train and they said I would have to pay an extra $17. Which was fine, but during that whole period, the cleaning staff used my room as a home base for cleaning the other rooms on the floor and never left, so I couldn't use it. Therefore I stayed sick in the lobby. When I explained that the cleaning staff was in my room and I would like my $17 back, they made a big production about it, getting other staff and managers to agree to it. There was an unpleasant odor, but to be fair, the whole town doesn't smell too pleasant. At the bar, I had the only pisco sour in three weeks that didn't taste good. Even I, a humble foreigner, learned quickly how to make a great pisco sour. In sum, as a "hostel", maybe it meets the needs of those expecting a hostel. I wasn't expecting that.

Room Tip: Try for a room with the view of the front street so you can see the rivers and mountains
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Aguas Calientes hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We booked this place after reading numerous reviews of lodging in the $100 USD price range. It lived up to all expectations and was a nice, clean, and great location hotel. The front desk staff has basic knowledge of the area, but not out of their way to provide the best customer service. Surprisingly, the staff member that was the best was the bell boy. He was very friendly, recommended restaurants, and even carried our bags to/ from the train station. I was very impressed they had our bags waiting upon our return train trip back to Cusco after our Machu Picchu hike.

BTW...Ask for a river view room. We had a great sleep hearing the rushing river outside the room. But starting at 5.30 or 6.00 AM you will hear all the buses roaring by carrying people up to Machu Picchu.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple