“Over a 3-week stay in Peru this was the only hotel that did not impress me.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
Hostal El Santuario
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The staff was not very communicative and the rooms were not that nice. Mind you, it calls it self a hostel, and I was expecting a "hotel", so in a sense it's my bad. I had to check out at 12:00 but didn't need to catch a train until 5. As I was sick that day, I asked them if I could stay in my room until the train and they said I would have to pay an extra $17. Which was fine, but during that whole period, the cleaning staff used my room as a home base for cleaning the other rooms on the floor and never left, so I couldn't use it. Therefore I stayed sick in the lobby. When I explained that the cleaning staff was in my room and I would like my $17 back, they made a big production about it, getting other staff and managers to agree to it. There was an unpleasant odor, but to be fair, the whole town doesn't smell too pleasant. At the bar, I had the only pisco sour in three weeks that didn't taste good. Even I, a humble foreigner, learned quickly how to make a great pisco sour. In sum, as a "hostel", maybe it meets the needs of those expecting a hostel. I wasn't expecting that.

Room Tip: Try for a room with the view of the front street so you can see the rivers and mountains
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed November 26, 2011

We booked this place after reading numerous reviews of lodging in the $100 USD price range. It lived up to all expectations and was a nice, clean, and great location hotel. The front desk staff has basic knowledge of the area, but not out of their way to provide the best customer service. Surprisingly, the staff member that was the best was the bell boy. He was very friendly, recommended restaurants, and even carried our bags to/ from the train station. I was very impressed they had our bags waiting upon our return train trip back to Cusco after our Machu Picchu hike.

BTW...Ask for a river view room. We had a great sleep hearing the rushing river outside the room. But starting at 5.30 or 6.00 AM you will hear all the buses roaring by carrying people up to Machu Picchu.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SD2379
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had hot water on the third floor (our group occupied three rooms). Rooms were clean and comfortable for our night stay before our visit to Machu Picchu. They kept our bags for us after we checked out so we didn't have to carry them into MP. There was no storage - dresser or closet but that wasn't a problem since we were only there one night. Standard continental breakfast - juice, pan, fruit salad with yogurt and granola, eggs, tea, coffee. Desk staff were very nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KarenKAFVL
Reviewed October 6, 2011

First of all, the hotel is close to the bus stop to Machu Picchu, so more sleep in the morning and it has views of the Urubamba river, which is quite nice.

In room 208, there is no hot shower, so beware of that. (not sure of the other rooms)
There is no heater available, just more blankets if you needed it, no closets and no safe.

There is a decent selection of breakfast and there is a computer that guests can use for free.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We spent a night at the hotel after completing the Inka Trail and it did what it needed to. The rooms are a bit out dated, but clean enough and there was plenty of hot water for long showers to get rid of 4days worth of dirt and grime.

There is a PC in the lobby to use and the hotel kept our bags while we had a second day at MP. There wasn't much left at breakfast by the time we got there though since we were starting later than most people (we got the bus to MP at 8.30).

The town is small so everything you need is a short walk from the hotel, inc restaurants, the bus to MP and the train station. There is a nice 24 hour coffee shop in the main square which serves a decent selection of food, and was a nice change from all of the pizza/pasta/everything else joints that were on the main drag.

The hotel is overpriced for what it is, but then so is everything in AC.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed here overnight before our trip to Machu Picchu. This hotel is much like Aguas Calientes itself: a bit dirty, sort of run down and disappointing, but it's not the reason you're there so it doesn't really matter that much. We got in at night from Ollantaytambo and a porter from the hotel met us at the train station which was nice. However, he grabbed our bags and practically ran down the hill without us. Which would have been fine, as it's pretty hard to get lost in AC and the hotel is literally just down the hill from the train station, but part of the road is unlit and the entire road is pockmarked in debris and giant potholes, so we would have at least appreciated a flashlight or something since the last thing you want to do is sprain your ankle 8 hours before you're supposed to see Machu Picchu. The hotel staff was fine enough, nothing special or bad, although they did have a breakfast of meat and fruit for us at 5am when we were leaving to go to the bus station so we could see the sunrise (which is totally worth it- but we were surprised it actually rises so late, around 7 because it's so high. The buses start to leave at I think 530 or so, and there's already quite a line by then because of the people who want one of the 400 daily tickets they give out to climb the mountain behind Machu Picchu. We didn't so we had plenty of time to find a good position for the sunrise. It also really helps to get your MP tickets in advance). And, they kept our bags for us until we returned from MP at the end of the day. One nice thing is that the hotel is right along the river which is actually quite pretty (although it also means there are rats running around in front of the hotel. We didn't see any evidence of them inside though). One weird thing about our room in particular was that we thought it was a corner room since there was what appeared to be a large corner window covered in a curtain and a small balcony. However, once I opened the side of the corner window curtain that should have been the side of the hotel, it revealed it was actually a window into someone else's room! Right over their bed. Awkward. Overall it was definitely the least nice place we stayed in all of Peru (and Ecuador and Colombia) since the beds were rather uncomfortable and everything just seemed old, but we were only there for about 8 hours so it was good enough. Beware of where you eat though- go where it looks like lots of other tourists are. I would normally not give this advice, but some of the restaurants in AC are truly gross and one made us really sick.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Megan17240
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed here overnight after spending a day at Machu Picchu. The town of Aguas Calientes itself is a big letdown because of hiked up prices for hotels and restaurants and the preponderance of tourist- targeted commerce. The city could have been planned around the beautiful raging river and looming mountain forest but it has a long way to go since it serves its single purpose as a stopover for visitors of Machu Picchu.
The hostal is unpretentious, decent , provides a hot shower and internet access. Breakfast includes coffee and rolls and jams and some deli meat and juices.
The rooms are small, bathrooms even smaller. It you stay in a bedroom fronting the street, you get a view of the beautiful river and mountain. The hostal is located down the street from the main thoroughfare where buses pick up passengers for Machu Picchu and where the train has its last stop.
There are better hotels in the area but be prepared to pay triple or quadruple prices. For a simple night in town, this will suffice.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the river
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple