“Not bad for one night”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
Imperio Machupicchu Hotel
Ranked #42 of 80 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had no problems in one night at this hotel, unlike some other reviewers. I found a very clean room an pleasant bed. Indeed the location is indeed noisy, breakfast is poor and the hotel does not offer anything special. However, once my goal was just having a room to sleep a night in my expedition to Machu Picchu (and I guess that is the goal for most people who overnight at Aguas Calientes) the Hotel did fulfill its purpose. Only if I found a dirty room the Hotel would bother my visit to Machu Picchu, and that did not happen.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 25, 2013

By far one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in, and I am not a snob about hotels. The first room I had the door lock did not work and I was locked out of my room. The second room I had was on an upper floor so not as noisy but the bathroom smelled like urine, there was no hot water at all, the bed sheets had hair and stains on them. The bathroom next to the "dining" area also had a strong urine smell that wafted into the eating area. Really horrible, The breakfast buffet was terrible. Couldn't wait to get out of here. Unfortunately it was part of a tour so I didn't have a choice of where to stay but believe me, I would never recommend this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TCPA2013
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This place was booked by our tour operator during a 2 day hike/visit to MP. First problem is that the walls are the thinnest I've ever seen. Many people mentioned this in the reviews, but it is REALLY bad. For some reason, the window to outside has a big sliding door, but there is no balcony, so it serves no purpose, but for whatever reason it doesn't create a seal, so it's as though the window is just cracked 100% of the time so you're open to the street noise (which was significant, even 3 floors up). You could also hear seemingly everything going on in the other rooms and the lobby.

Second problem, and what really put me over the edge, was the free breakfast. This is available starting at 5am. Since most tourists are heading out to MP on an early bus at 5:30, this was appreciated. We were running a little behind, so we didn't get down there until 5:07, but it had been completely ravaged. Every table was dirty, so they had to clean us a spot and bring new plates, napkins, etc. Worse, there was basically no food, and what was left was terrible. I got eggs and a roll/jam. The roll was dry and crusty, and I couldn't finish it even swimming in jam, and the eggs were undercooked and cold. Not sure how this was possible 7 minutes after breakfast started. It's not like this is an odd phenomenon - I'm sure every day people are eating right at 5:00 and are gone by 5:15, so there is no excuse for not having enough food and seating available.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank astaplet82
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is located a 5 minute walk to the train station, and the room was decent and we had towel flowers and elephants on our beds when we arrived. The downsides are that there wasn't really any furniture other than the beds. So there was nowhere to hang anything up, or put anything up on a surface anywhere. It was also one of the least sound-proof places I've experienced. We could hear everything, as if our windows and doors were open. Other than that, it was clean and had free wi-fi, so it wasn't bad! We didn't spend much time there other than to sleep anyway, and was reasonably priced, so over all it was decent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank traveljunkie1983
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is adequate for a 1 night stay. The main purpose is going to see Machu Picchu, not stay in Aguas Calientes. There's no elevator or in room safe, but the room was clean with comfortable beds and did have a TV. After reading the other reviews, we were wary, but were pleasantly surprised. True, there's absolutely no soundproofing so you can hear every sound from the other rooms: earplugs are recommended. The hotel is maybe a 10 minute walk to the bus and train stations; near a crafts market (actually the best of all we went to); and some restaurants. Breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here one night while exploring Machu Picchu. It was not in the safest part of town and definitely bring ear plugs! The walls are very thin! You can hear everything inside and outside of the hotel. I'm glad we only stayed for the one night, I don't think I could have slept there a second night.

The rooms were clean and the shower was nice. The beds were a little small and the balcony door didn't lock in of the rooms (we had 3 rooms between friends).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kimmie017
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is near the train station away from the main restaurants and market. We probably wouldn't have been able to find it if our guide did not take us there. The street that is was on was a little sketchy.For the amount of $ paid for this place - totally not worth it. However all the hotels in AC are all overpriced - the best way to stick it to the tourist.

The hotel has no elevators and after a long day of hiking in Machu Picchu, you do not want to see more stairs! It has no insulation for noise what so ever and lacks the feel of privacy. The room doors are not solid and you can hear slamming from the top floor to the bottom. It just feels like you are renting a bedroom in a house rather than your own hotel room. The room has a tiny tv, a bookshelf and comfy linens.

The bathroom ventilates into a corridor which faces other hotel rooms bathroom windows. There is no hair dryer in the hotel room. Shampoo and soap were not in containers but in packets. If you can bring your toiletries do it!

The only good thing about this hotel is that they were nice enough to hold our stuff for us while we were in MP.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends