“Basic accomodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
Hostal Machu Picchu
Reviewed May 28, 2008

This hostal was part of a tour of Machu Picchu provided by a tour operator. The room was very basic - with a double bed, 2 bedside tables, I coffee table, 1 chair and 4 hooks on the wall, plus ensuite toilet & shower. No heating or toiletries (only soap). Buffet breakfast was provided in the hotel next door; fruit, bread, cereal, yoghurt, eggs, hot drinks. Earlier checkout (9.00am) than we had previously enjoyed.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hostal Machu Picchu

Reviewed June 1, 2007

I suppose we were lucky to get a room in the overbooked Aguas Calientes, but this is one of the worst rooms I've rented in my life, and yes I realize 35$ is a "deal" in Aguas Calientes.

The hotel had a dingy, dark lobby and an unfriendly staff, who definitely didn't speak English. They seemed to laugh at us when we asked for a double bed room, and again when we asked for directions later. I do speak Spanish and that was the only way to communicate. They did not inform of us of any of their services, not even telling us about the breakfast. I do not think they have any cleaning staff either.

The room we got on the second floor was marginally less smelly than the odorific room that our friends received on the first floor. However, we did have a giant crack in our ceiling, with duct tape keeping it together, and our windows did not have glass/screens in them in the bathroom, so mosquitos were free to wander in. For some reason, all the windows were open (we found out why later). We closed them and went out for lunch.

The bathroom had black mold all over the ceiling, in the tile grout, anywhere it could grow. It smelled pretty bad. The bathroom's trashcan did not have a lid, so over time, it grew to smell bad as well. Overnight, we closed the bathroom door so that no mosquitos would bite us at night. When we opened it the next day to brush our teeth (no way in hell would we be showering in there), the mold smell had grown so bad we were retching and had to run out. When we tried to explain the problem to the staff, they didn't seem to take it very seriously.

There were phones in the rooms, but they didn't work. Just one more thing that wasn't in operating condition and didn't give me a lot of confidence about the hotel.

Now I know why they wanted us to pay for the hotel in advance in Cusco - no one would willingly pay for their night here if they got to see the rooms in advance.

The only bright spot is the lovely courtyard with the garden, including a beautiful parrot, and the setting next to the river.

When we got back to Cusco, I couldn't wait to scrub myself clean of that place.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ShannonSomervilleMA
Reviewed June 1, 2007

I don't know where to begin - should I start with the black mold that was all over the bathroom - that as the night progressed started to smell worst and worse? Or the horrid room? Or the hotel staff that made me feel unsafe as a woman (or at least uncomfortable - unless the man we were traveling with was around). How about the complete lack of cleanliness throughout the hotel? There doesn't seem to be much better in this town - and that's the truly sad thing.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank aranthe
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Ended up staying here after Hostal Pachaqutec claimed to have "never received" our phone call. Hostal Machu Picchu wasn't a bad place by comparison with others in MPP but equally was not somewhere I'd choose to go to unless I was desperate! Bed was big enough (though we slept in our clothes cos we were a bit nervous about cleanliness), bathroom was ok, breakfast was nice in the little hotel next door. Slept alright and since we got up at 4.30am to see sunrise, it wasn't a bad option.

• Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank Chezza27
Reviewed May 10, 2006

I was frustrated with this hostel because of the smell. The staff were very nice, we left our bags with them no problem, there was no where to eat or get water but for the price we weren't surprised. those things were readily available in this small town.

The sheets are washed with a cold water hose in the open courtyard. They smelled so badly of body odour that the whole room stank. We have travelled the world and aren't picky, but we had to strip the bed, put it all in the bathroom, close the door, and sleep on our souvenir tablecloths.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank stagename
Reviewed January 3, 2006

This place is an average backpacker sleeping place. We left our stuff with them twice and had no problems, clean place, good showers and helpful staff. Breakfast was above average.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank ddbxl
Reviewed December 27, 2005

The hostal had a lot of things going for it, but a few things knocked down the rating alot. We had two rooms, one completely redone (and if this had been the only room we would have given a price adjusted 4 star), the other the floors (including the bathroom) had not been redone.

First the positives. The court yard is nice, and nicer than its upscale cousin "next" door, el presidente. Two, the redone room had no problems and was very clean. Three, the limited staff were out of their way friendly: the breakfast buffet was at the next door hotel but they had no bananas. As my mother was not feeling well we asked if they had any. Both the kitchen of the presidente and the reception from the machu picchu brought us bananas. Four, they sold bottle water below the town's "market price."

The negatives. Our room had some problems. First, the floor was not very clean. Second, near the sink water (presumably drain water) was seeping up. This was not a drain, but a valve in the floor that should have been sealed, suggesting the owners knew of the problem. My foot and sock went into the puddle. We mentioned this to the desk and got the shrug of the shoulders. Related to this was third: a sewage type smell from the bathroom. As the door was closed we didnt locate it at first. Fourth, the next morning, I had bites on my feet. As I was wearing socks and shoes everywhere else, it would seem to suggest that it was the room. Finally, the rooms are small but at this price, you shouldnt be surprised.

We strongly recommend dining at Feliz Indio. Otherwise, avoid the town.

• Stayed: December 2005