“Awesome hotel”

and 1 more site!
Rupa Wasi Lodge
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I was really excited to stay here for our one night in Aguas Caliente. When we walked into the open air lobby it felt like we were in a tree house. The staff was amazing and the breakfast at 4am was the best we had in Peru. I was a little disappointed with the room-#2. It is very basic and they suggested keeping the windows closed because the view was of the stairs leading up past the hotel. We almost asked about paying for the upgraded rooms, but since we were there just a short time it didn't seem necessary. Great location if you are comfortable walking up a ton out stairs, which wasn't an issue for us. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed June 7, 2014

We spent one night at Rupa Wasi -- spending our first day hiking around MP and our second day hiking H.P. This is an experience that we won't forget, sore legs, amazing rain storms, incredible views and absolute beauty.

The Lodge sits up a long set of stairs from one of the main squares in town. So you need to be prepared to carry your bags up a serious flight of stairs just to get to the property (but hey, you're in the Andes so you can't complain!). Once you get to the main area of the lodge, the room we selected was up another set of stairs -- perched at the top of the property. The tree house has two stories, the bottom has a twin bed, bathroom and the upstairs has a double bed, surrounded by panoramic windows. The bed was very comfortable and the view was incredible. We woke to a tremendous rainstorm moving through the mountains in the morning, and the view from the windows was incredible.

We ate dinner at the restaurant, too tired to go back down into town, and the food was good -- although a little over priced, as everything in Aguas Calientes tends to be. We also had a good breakfast the next morning before heading out to the train. The staff were very nice and met us at the train on arrival and then held our luggage for us on our last day before we departed town.

The only challenge with the room was that it got VERY hot during the day, even with the curtains closed, it literally turned into an oven -- we found that opening the windows let in a lot of bugs, so we chose not to spend any time in the room during the day, instead heading into town to sit in the square. Not a big deal at all!

We liked the fact that the lodge wasn't down in the main tourist area - A.C. is a VERY touristy town, as it's everyone's departure point for MP. We knew what to expect and so tried to find a place off the beaten path -- and this was it. We're happy we chose Rupa Wasi!

Room Tip: The tree house room with the loft bed is a must for the view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank E-ETravel
Reviewed June 1, 2014

It is a very unique hotel, as they only have a few rooms and it feels like you were in the middle of the rainforest.
Very small and quiet, friendly staff.
The restaurant has a nice menu and is very inviting. We had a very early breakfast as we were going up to Machu Picchu, and the staff even though it was very early, was very friendly and attentive.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to get wifi, try getting room number one, if not you are better off at the lobby to catc...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cae87
Reviewed June 1, 2014

If you’re looking for a 5 star luxury hotel, this is not for you. If you are looking for an experience of a life time, please book Rupa Wasi. I can't say enough about the staff. They are friendly, caring and knowledgeable( Spanish and English speaking). The rooms were clean and comfortable. You will stay at Rupa Wasi for the experience. An Eco Lodge that sits at the top of town. You feel like you are staying in a luxury tree house. You will experience a peaceful night’s sleep while listening to the river that runs through town. Speaking about the Tree House.... the restaurant is the best in town. The food and staff are incredible and you won't be disappointed. Please take a cooking class if you have time and give Johnny (head chef) my best. Make sure you request a box lunch prior to departing for your days adventure. The sandwiches are delicous.
Make sure you check with the Rupa Wasi staff prior to booking your tour of Macchu Picchu. They will hook you up with excellent tour guides and make sure you have the best for any additional services you require. We can't wait until our next visit. We already miss our friends a Rapa Wasi.

Room Tip: Ask for room 3, which is upstairs
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmcorallino
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Wish we were able to stay more than one night! Could not have been happier with the service here, from booking to check out. The bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable. We booked a suite room with a nice view of Aguas Calientes. The hotel's restaurant, The Treehouse, provided us with a great breakfast on the morning of our trip to Machu Picchu and we were able to enjoy lunch there later in the day as well (try to stop in if you can). Book your stay at Rupa Wasi, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We just returned from our trip in Peru and we stayed at Rupa Wasi based on other TA reviews. As noted in the reviews, I think your best bet when staying here is one of the upper level rooms. We requested the double suite (room 3) 3 months ahead of time and had no problem securing our room with the deposit requested. The view from the balcony is just fabulous. It overlooks the river and we were able to watch the sunset from our room after a long and weary week of trekking. The bathroom was clean and the showers hot. We were also able to book an in-room hot stone massage for only $35. The lady was extremely good and very professional. My husband read on the porch while I enjoyed a very welcomed and relaxing massage. The front desk was very helpful. I definitely recommend the box lunches they sell for Machu Picchu. You will not find any other boxed lunches like that and there is no food sold on site. They are a little expensive for :Peruvian standards, but in the end we were very thankful we had bought them. The restaraunt is absolutely delicious, one of our favorite meals in Peru.

Several customers have complained extensively about the number of stairs you have to climb to arrive here. I question how these same people plan on visiting Machu Picchu, since the number of stairs required to arrive here pales in comparison to the number of stairs one needs to climb to adequately enjoy Machu Picchu! The hotel is located a little farther away from the train station, but the walk is 7 minutes max. I would not let this deter you from staying here! We were very thankful for our time and experience at Rupa Wasi.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I had such a hard time booking with this place I ended up not staying here. I don't know if it was a language issue or what, but after filling out the reservation request form on their website I got an email asking for the exact same information I had just submitted, then got a confirmation email for a package other than what I had requested. I asked for additional information about a tour listed on their website three times before being sent an email where they just copy-pasted the exact text from the web. After the fourth time I asked I finally got more details about the tour. Then I was sent a new (third) incorrect invoice and they asked me to send my credit card information over email to confirm the bookings! Um...NO! I refused to do this and was told I could call and give my credit card information over the phone. By this point close to 20 emails had gone back and forth over the course of two weeks. I have never had such a hard time booking anything!

When I arrived in Cusco I tried to call five different times at different times of day and on different days. I was given cell phone numbers that didn't work. No one at the main phone number could help me.

So I went online and booked a different hotel in 5 minutes. If the people in charge of reservations are this disorganized I can only image what the experience of staying here would be like.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo