“Birthday dream”

Hotel La Cabana Machu Picchu
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My mother has always wanted to visit machu picchu but knew she couldn't do it alone. We took her this past week and the friendly staff at La Cabana couldn't have been better. They provided a birthday cake for my mum and treated us like family. We highly recommend the hotel if visiting the site.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Clean, expensive---but everything is in this town. Breakfast is OK---not very fancy. Good location. Lots of restaurants. They were nice enough to carry our baggage to and from the train station---it's uphill all the way.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Positives: Friendly staff, clean hotel much needed after a long trek with plenty of hot water, and comfortable bed. They offer free service to pick up and drop off your luggage at train station as hotel is a bit uphill. They also stored our luggage day of MP hike. Hotel is otherwise well located, 5 min walk to the bus that takes you to MP and 10min walk to train station. Breakfast was a very decent spread, and available at 5 am b/f heading to MP.

Negatives: Slightly higher priced than similar type hotels in the area, dated/small 'superior' rooms and tight bathroom (unless upgrade to suite available for more room) with no external light in ours. Noise carried a bit from the outside common areas in to our room. Wifi was basically non working in our room, but worked fine in lobby.

Room Tip: check for a room upgrade from superior room to a junior suite or suite if available
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TToy123
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I had reserved a room at a hostel I found to be dirty and unsafe, so I was searching the city at the last minute for room. I found La Cabana for $110 US. The woman at the desk spoke English and after telling her what happened at the Hostel, she showed me the available room before I booked it. When I returned with my stuff from the hostel, she gave me the choice of another room as well. It was on a higher floor, but quieter. I chose to stay with the second floor room to avoid the stairs. My room had windows that opened to the hallway. Once I closed them, it was quieter. The only problem was the people across the hall didn't close the window in their shower, so it was loud when they showered the next morning. It's strange how some sounds carry more than others. The breakfast buffet was typical Peruvian food with some scrambled eggs and sausage/hotdogs thrown in for the tourists. I enjoyed breakfast and left for Machu Picchu. They held my bag while I was gone and let me rest in the lobby when I returned as long as I wanted. No rush to push me out. The people were great, I felt safe, and the room was clean.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, pick a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank InLoveWithItaly2010
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Cabana through a Machu Picchu tour. Everything in Aguas Caliente is close by, so the location was great. My room had a great view of the mountains. The service was friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was very good and had tons of selection. The room was clean and warm. It was a bit noisy at night, but it seems that Peru is loud in general at night. Overall great!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Taylor W
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in May. The hotel was ok, expensive but most are in Aguas Calientes. Very disappointed with the breakfast we were downstairs at 5.30am and most of the food was already gone. The people at

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We chose this hotel as we wanted a clean room and hot water. We got exactly what what we wanted. Ofcourse, this hotel is a bit on the expensive side for backpacking, but everything in Aguas Calientes is.

We stayed in the Junior Suite as it was all that was available and it was very spacious. Plenty of hot water, clean linen, and clean everything else! The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent minus the ample fruit flies, so we picked around what we thought they didn't get at.

The location of the hotel is a bit out of the way of the main square, but everything in Aguas Calientes is within walking distance. It is, however, an uphill walk most of the way to the hotel from the main town square.

If your looking for space to air out your trekking gear, hot water, and clean linen then this is the place if you get it at a good price.

Room Tip: The very top room was our Junior Suite. Unfortunately it did smell a bit like sewage. Maybe choose a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends