“Basic Hotel, Not many options in Aguas Calientes”
Review of Hostal Presidente

Hostal Presidente
Ranked #14 of 79 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hotel is spartan, basic. No heater. Hot water was more like warm. Aguas Calientes at the foot of Machu Picchu does not have many options as far as hotels. As for the fact there was no heater, we just asked for more blankets. I am from California so I am not used to the cold nights there. If you are from Germany then probably you are not worried about the cold. The breakfast was pretty good. Typical Peruvian breakfast. Good strong coffee, bread, fruits, ham and cheese. One thing that was not too good for me was the wifi internet connection. Basically only in the Lobby and Eating area did we have WIFI internet access. Our room was next to the river and the view from our balcony/room was to die for. The noise from the river was pretty loud but I had no trouble sleeping. Maybe due to all the hiking, I was tired and I slept really well despite the lack of heat and river noise. In summary, it was nice to stay near Machu Picchu so you could enjoy the the site. It is the trade off that you have to make to get more time on the mountain.

Room Tip: Get a room next to the river. The view is really impressive, but there will be noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mario A

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed one night here. Staff were nice. The room could use a new carpet and the shower water was only warmish. Bathroom was old but clean. They could invest in some new sheets – they were clean but pretty thin! We wanted something basic as it was for one night only and this fit the bill. The rail track is in front of the hotel and the river is at the back. We had requested a room away from the rail tracks based on Trip Advisor tips so noise level was fine. We had a top floor room in the middle of the building. The river was wild and raging and pretty loud when we were there so we were glad to be in the middle. They let us have a late check out as I was a bit sick which was great. Breakfast was basic. Great location for the bus up to MP and not far to the rail station. Restaurants very close by.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on Sat.2013.Oct.26 and now I'm finally getting around to writing a review. It's been a busy year.

This hotel is literally a 5 minute walk from the train station if you know your directions and because the town is so small, after one trip you'll have it memorized.

We had room #210 which offered a great view of the mountains and river.

We had a pretty large foyer (for a hotel) in our room with sofa, there was a desk and chair, big dresser and double sized memory foam bed.

There is internet but only in the lobby and if your internet connecting device is not working, they have a desktop computer available for use which is pretty handy if your device doesn't have a big screen.

What surprised my wife and I was the female staff member at the desk refused to help us find a restaurant. I'm not sure if it was a language issue, but it appeared that she understood us. I asked her, "Can you help us find this restaurant on this map?" (I had the address written down on a piece of paper) and she simply replied, "No." and resumed doing whatever it was she was doing.

Breakfast is from 04:45 - 08:00 hours, it was pretty basic and satisfactory in a way.

The tv in the room had DirectTV and numerous English channel movies.

I'd use this hotel again, but I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Room Tip: #210 has a great view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank easyHwolf
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed 1 night, so we could go to Machu Pichu in the morning. We got a room with a balcony overlooking the river and the mountains. Splendid view. Breakfast very basic but OK. Room and bathroom were clean although somewhat old.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the river side, since there must be an awful lot of noice on the street...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lars A
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We only stayed a night travelling to Machu-Pichu. Good location, close to all stations and restaurants. Good breakfast and nice people. They kept our luggage during trip to Machu-Pichu for nothing. The room was clean and nice view over Urubamba river. Close to the climbing station to the ruins.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I don't really know what to expect for the hotels in Agua Caliente. The town seems to be filled with little hotels like and I doubt they will be much better than this one. The room is kinda old and the bathroom is not that clean. We had to change a room because the toilet could not stop running. Then we were given another room with a toilet that runs so slow that you have to press it for a minute or two before it finishes its work. I had to laugh about it. There is only wifi in the lobby, not in the rooms.

Staff were all very kind and trying to be helpful. Breakfast was nice and plentify.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. That's the best thing it has going for it. My room was small... there was a cutout in the bathroom door so that it could open past the sink. There was plenty of hot water when I showered. The room window had been left open and the carpet was wet. The room smelled kind of funny. I'm not sure if it was from wet carpet or from the restaurant below the room. They started breakfast very early in case you wanted to be on one of the first buses to Machu Picchu. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends