Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
Tierra Viva Machu Picchu(Aguas Calientes)
$169
  • Free Internet
$118
$105
$185
$162
  • Breakfast included
Waman Hotel Machupicchu(Aguas Calientes)
$105
$135
$174
  • Restaurant
SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel(Aguas Calientes)
$526
$300
  • Breakfast included
El MaPi by Inkaterra(Aguas Calientes)
$220
  • Restaurant
Casa del Sol Machupicchu(Aguas Calientes)
$223
$203
  • Breakfast included
Ecopackers Machupicchu(Aguas Calientes)(Great Value!)
$50
$28
Hostelworld.com
2,731 results
All reviewsbird watchingcloud foresttea plantationnature walkhumming birdsorchid tourspectacled bearhot water bottlesoutdoor showereco centerorchid walkorchid gardenopen firequinoa pancakeshotel groundsextensive groundsmachu picchu
Reviewed September 30, 2005

I recently came back from a trip to Machu Picchu and decided to stay at the Pueblo Hotel, since the Sanctuary Lodge was booked - I´m sure glad I did. The service at this rustic, yet luxurious hotel is top notch. From the moment one steps off the Peru Rail train from Cusco, where a porter takes your luggage directly to the hotel to the wonderful gourmet dinner and hearty breakfast (both included in the price), the Pueblo Hotel does not miss a step. Also, the advantage of the Publo Hotel is that it is in the town, whereas the Sanctuary Lodge is isolated at the entrence to Machu Picchu, with nothing else around.

The first train from Cusco arrives in Aguas Calientes (Machu Piccu village) around 10AM. Since check in is at 1PM, it was great that the porter that met the Peru Rail train took my luggage directly to the hotel (the hotel provides this service without having to call in advance).

After a long, but culturally enriching 4 hours at Machu Picchu, I returned to the village and found my way back to the railroad station and crafts market. The hotel is located next to the train station and is reached by walking along a uneven rocky dirt path. The walk from the crafts market to the hotel takes less than 5 minutes and looks a bit like a slum. However ugly, it never felt dangerous. This was the only negative part about my stay and the rest of my experience more than made up for it. At the end of the walk, there is a wooden pedestrain bridge that leads to the lush green nature reserve in which the hotel is located. The sound of water from the rivers is everywhere.

The hotel is a collection of bungalows and rustic buildings, scattered throughtout the verdant grounds. They are connected by a series of stone pathways, dotted with fountains and seating areas. The check-in was quick and efficient and before I knew it, a porter was next to me with the luggage that had been collected earlier at the station. Along the way, he pointed out the location of the Spa, pool, Eco center (this is where the various tours of the grounds begin), etc. I was taken to my spotless and spacious bungalow, which had high ceilings with exposed tree trunk beams. The seperate seating area with large windows faced out onto what looked like a jungle - beautiful, green and serene! There were windows everywhere - even a skylight in the bathroom.

The main lodge area has the lobby (check-in is in a different building), main dining room, bar, library (with a fireplace) and sitting area with comfortable couches. There is also a cafe across the railroad tracks. At night, candles accent the grounds and various public areas.

I would definately stay here again and recommend it to others. The service, the grounds, the bungalows were all wondeful.

15  Thank Alegria1
Reviewed September 23, 2005

We spent our first night in Machu Picchu at the wonderful Sanctuary Hotel, which is an Orient Express hotel. We stayed at all three O&E hotels in Peru and were delighted with the service, food and facilities. These wonderful hotels probably set a higher bar for the Pueblo Hotel, which we found lacking in several areas.

First, they are renovating the street system, so the walk to the Pueblo Hotel is not very nice - but it is next door to the train station in Aguas Calientes. It is the only large hotel in the town below Machu Picchu, they cater to groups and provide little to no personal attention. The management for the hotel is in Lima and I did my booking through them.

Due to a change in my schedule I had the choice of paying almost twice as much for the room ($425) or forfeiting my full nights stay ($259) - since they had only suites available. I went ahead with the increase since the Sanctuary had no availability.

Upon arrival we were put into a rather dark nasty room. My husband complained since they had said we would be on the second floor and after much negotiation got a key to an 'upgraded' room. Then 30 minutes later the main desk calls and says 'oh you're suppose to be in a suite' - hello? We had been speaking with them about this since arrival an hour before.

We checked out the suite which was just a little larger than the room we were now in and said why not split the difference and charge us less - we'll stay where we have unpacked. 'Oh you have to see the manager'. So we saw the manager, and explained that for some reason we had not been given a choice for a less expensive room previously and having moved into a less expensive room would prefer to stay there. 'Well what do you want me to do about it?' was the reply. We suggested a $50 refund on the $429 - and he said 'speak to your travel agent' - I explained that his hotel was my travel agent. 'Well I don't have any money - e-mail Lima and tell them, I can't give you any money', after much further debate 'I'll give you a free sauna or a bottle of wine'. WOW!

Had I been staying at Motel 6 for $69.99 - I would expect this conversation - at $429 in Peru it was just insulting.

Then the staff. As you can imagine, attitude comes from the top. The staff looked ready to be yelled at and was inefficient at best. Part of this comes from handling groups I'm sure but still after the O&E hotels, it was just poor service. The food was Ok. The room was clean, nice shampoos, nice grounds, and free internet - a plus.

Stay at the Sanctuary if you can - great location and more fun. If not there, I did stop into Gringo Bills and it was quite nice, sweet staff, clean rooms and nice location off main square - right next to where you have to get your tickets for Machu Picchu. TIckets no longer available at the top!
Sanctuary will get them for you if you forgot.

• Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank hhl
Reviewed September 13, 2005

My friend and I (ages 41 & 54) stayed here last year and simply loved it.

The rooms were very nice and very warm (good heat, fireplace and hot water). The employees were friendly and professional. Food was very good as well. We had 1/2 board (breakfast and dinner). I would recommend it for everyone except those who are not surefooted as there are uneven paths which are slippery when wet.

It is located a very short distance (walking) from town and right by the train station. It was wonderful to buy some local (Chilean) wine and drink it out on our patio while it rained.

I did not use the spa but my friend did and loved the massage but not the sauna huts (his complaint was they were too small).

By the way, service was great and consistent. I hope it never loses its wonderful ambience. We both adventured out at night with no problems (either alone or together), enjoying the local Pisco Sours and other local food.

Email with any questions.

• Stayed: December 2004
4  Thank contactjody
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 3, 2005

On our recent trip to peru we booked one night here being concerned that the hotel may be too rustic. We were wrong. This is one of the finest hotels we stayed. the rooms were spacious and well appointed, the grounds lovely and the staff and guides knowledgeable and friendly. We should have stayed two nights and skipped a day in cusco. We went with children age 11 and 9 and they loved it as well

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We stayed here in November and are still talking about this spot ....and that's pretty incredible in itself since we've travelled to about 50 different countries so far.
We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted at the train by Hotel porters who carried our bags to our room . The rooms are tucked into the surrounding jungle giving each a sense of peaceful solitude.

The staff are very pleasant and helpful . They arranged an excellent guide to take us the next morning to the ruins.

We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and the food and a is fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2004