“Delightful Escape”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delightful Escape”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was here for two nights and so thankful for it, since one night would be like a tease. The second night gave me time to do a morning bird walk with the staff, get a massage and explore the grounds a bit more.

The place is an absolute oasis in the crowded and not so quaint Aguas Caliente. Staff was exceptionally service oriented and friendly and the included dinner and breakfast was first rate. My only regret is that I did not make a fire in the fireplace in the room for extra cozy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Korean first
LONDON
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I arrived hot and dusty from a day up in the mountains so it was a real delight to find myself in the tranquil gardens of the Inkaterra Hotel. Their bell-boy had met my train in the morning and taken my bags directly to the hotel to enable me to spend even more time in Machu Picchu. The bag was waiting for me in the hotel in the evening. The following day they kept my bag until my train departure and they met me at the station to give it back to me. I think a few hotels in the area do this, a very good idea and very handy nevertheless (arranged thru my travel agent Imagine Latin America and the local agent Viajes Pacifios). The hotel is about 5 mins from the railway station and at the far end of town. The town has a funny sort of charm - somewhat run down but really quite photogenic with the rivers and railway line running through it. Very handy for Machu Picchu and I am glad I didn't opt to stay in the Orient Express hotel at the top of the mountain (had lunch there and was not impressed at all).

Reception was very warm and friendly. They gave me a full overview of the hotel before taking me to my room - #16. This room is fairly close to reception but felt very private with its own little garden. I loved the open fireplace and the 2 storey windows. The room even had an ipod doc (not sure if this was mentioned on the website). The only thing I didn't like was the enormous robe and the enormous slippers! I am petite and was tripping about all over the place. The floors are quite rough stone so in the end I put some socks on.
The bathroom was really nice though not super duper high spec it did have a lovely walk-in shower. There was no conditioner or body lotion so had to call housekeeping for those. They arrived very promptly. I did get 3 bottles of anti-bug gel stuff though so I took the hint and slathered myself in that! I didn't get bitten at any rate!
I didn't use the pools as I hadn't got my bikini with me. As you get the train to town you are very limited in weight you can pack. Not that my bikini weighs a lot but other items seemed more important at the time. Was a bit disappointed when I saw the beautiful warm pools and jacuzzi. I did hear a chap asking at the spa for some disposable trunks, so I wasn't the only one caught out!
The complementary pisco sour was delightful. I loved the bar area - almost felt like a ski lodge. Afternoon tea was a nice surprise too (actually I had the afternoon tea before the pisco sour, so was quite restrained I thought!)
Restaurant - dinner was included in my rate. I have to say I had a lovely dinner from a very appealing menu. Though they seemed over-keen to serve me at first (2 waiters came over to pronounce themselves as covering my table when I arrived) the service was fairly unobtrusive after that. I wouldn't normally eat 3 courses but the waiter recommended the chocolate fudge sundae and as chocolate in Peru was rather delish I decided to give it a go. It was a highlight of my holiday!! The fudge sauce was flowing volcano-like down the outside of the glass... at least a centimetre thick and the quality was top notch. Really really good. Spectacular in fact!
Breakfast featured a good selection. I didn't go for the meats/hot items but not sure how hot they would be as they were displayed on plates in the central buffet area. Coffee was nice and self-service so no trying to attract a waiters attention.

Gift shop - I wouldn't normally bother but I did want to buy a couple of postcards. They had 1 postcard of machu picchu (not a very nice one) and a few pictures of orchids. Everything else was very expensive alpaca etc so seemed a very high-end gift shop to me and I didn't buy anything. The town itself has a big souvenir market but here the quality is the other end of the scale.

Check-out - they asked if I wanted to add a sum for their conservation projects. I didn't and then felt really awkward about it. I didn't visit any of their nature trails as I only had a few hours at the property. I wish I had had more time. They also give an envelope for tips for staff - I get the impression that most guests here are on a dinner inclusive package so they probably never see tips otherwise. They were all so friendly that they definitely deserve recognition.

All in all a really good place to overnight. Don't forget your swimwear!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hanko, Finland
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Few hotels I can remember afterwards, Inkaterra is one that I do. The rooms are cozy and clean, the environment is like a paradise, the hotel has feeders for tanagers and spectacular hummingbirds. It has a nice little pool and its own peace. The food at the restaurant is delicious and the staff is friendly. They came knocking to ask if I needed any more towels and gave chocolate. The hotel is just fitted for a person that is a nature-lover.
All in all it was great to stay at Inkaterra!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 7, 2012

There are not many excellent choices of deluxe hotels to pick from in Aguas Caliente, unless you have no qualms to deplete your bank account at the Sanctuary Lodge outside the entrance of MP, which we felt was way over our budget. We were recommended the next best alternative, the Inkaterra Pueblo, by our travel agent, SA Luxury Expeditions (which by the way comes very highly recommended). While the Pueblo we felt was the “best” of what was available in Aguas Caliente (we did look at the Sumaq Hotel when we were there too and were not too impressed by it or the pictures – yes, fastidious creatures we indeed are), it was nothing we would be screaming home about.

The setting was similar to many of our (more reasonably priced) experiences in tropical rainforests which we have been to in Southeast Asia and while calming and peaceful, especially after a trip up to MP (as many reviewers have mentioned before), and the delightful sight and flutter of hummingbirds in the compounds, the stay here we felt was somewhat overpriced. Given the “captive” tourist market Aguas Caliente can exploit from and the position it is located in, as well as the general lack of competition, we assumed such prices would have to be expected, but the overall “product” and experience was, if you will, “so-so” – nothing horrible per se, but also nothing particularly special – a far cry from our experience in their sister hotel, La Casona, in Cuzco (see separate review).

The standard rooms we had here reminded us of the basic accommodation we used to get when we went for our school gatherings and family barbeques – “cosy” or “rustic” at the very best – but the appointments were somewhat “too basic” for the prices they charged. Do take note that this is a tropical rainforest, so expect the room to be somewhat damp and cold at night, though nothing we could not manage. The hotel offers rooms with fireplaces, which would have been a nice addition, but these cost more so if you have some extra cash to dispense, the superior rooms would be better than our standard rooms we think. We would also have wished for stronger lighting in the room and better heating in the evening (warm water bottles in the bed were a nice touch though). Food in the restaurant was however very good and staff generally pleasant to deal with. What the hotel excels in is of course its very good location and close proximity to the bus station for early trips to MP, which we did the following day, and the hotel does offer the convenience of transferring our luggage to the train station after our hike to Wayna Picchu.

But don’t forget that the main compelling reason for travelling all the way here is going to MP, so all these – shall we say “inconveniences” – would be forgotten once you make your trip up there! Enjoy the sight!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nalk
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

When booking our trip to Peru with Ally at Imagine Latin America, we were so thankful that she recommended this gem of a hotel for us to stay in. for a night Located in Aguas Calientes, the town nearest to Machu Picchu, this hotel is a perfect overnight stop after completing the 3 night, 4 day Inca Trail and to give yourself some breathing space before jumping straight on a train back to Cusco. From walking and camping in all weathers to pure luxury! This hotel is incredible... the rooms are luxurious with an extremely comfortable bed and they provide you with everything you could need from a simple bottle to water, to a soft brilliantly white bath robe. The little welcome gift on the bed when you arrive is a perfect little touch (and a very useful present too!). The service is impeccable and the food is amazing. The surroundings are in touch with the environment and the natural hot tubs are well worth a visit as they are in a tranquil location nestled in amongst the trees overlooking the mountains.. perfect for relaxation after the hustle and bustle of Machu Picchu and the local town. This hotel has it all and is surely a brilliant find for Imagine Latin America... a perfect addition to their recommeded hotels, and we are glad that we had the opportunity to experience it.

Room Tip: All rooms are in individual lodges located in the woods... a good choice would be one nestled deep i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AngelaRoxanne
Vancouver
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Located a few miles from Machu Picchu Agua Calientes is a rat's nest of a town solely devoted to tourism. It has sort of a frontier charm to it in a way. In the middle of this mess is the Inkaterra and I think it was our best choice in Peru. Its new and its busy and probably a little pricey but it was thoroughly enjoyable. The bar was great fun and the restaurant was very good. A Good place to enjoy your Machu Picchu experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VancouverDave
Bacchus Marsh, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Occasionally we stay at five star hotel and inkaterra is worth every cent and dollar. The hotel has magnificent large rainforest garden that envelopes the comfortable villas with orchids and birds.

We enjoyed the walks, the warm spring spa and the food. Not cheap but good value. Professional and friendly staff who made it clear that we could use the facilities and showers after we checked out.

Absolutely enjoyed staying in the villas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 24 in Aguas Calientes
Taypikala Hotel Machupicchu
Taypikala Hotel Machupicchu
#6 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel? Share your experiences!