“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Mistico Machupicchu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
El Mistico Machupicchu
Cap d'Ail, France
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We had a very pleasent stay at the mystical hostel in Agua Caliente. The room are very cosy and clean and the hotel situated in a very quiet and charming part of the town, close to the entrance of the aqua thermal. I definitely recommand this place as the best place we found after visiting many hotel in Aguas Calientes.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alice M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Quilmes, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

We had read about El Místico on Trip Advisor before our trip to Perú. As it was low season I called the day before and was lucky enough to book a room with a little balcony overlooking the river Aguas Calientes. We were three, but were given a suite with two rooms and a bathroom in between. The walls of the rooms are covered in wooden paneling which makes for a warm atmosphere, the same as that of the rest of the hotel. The beds were super comfortable and the sound of the river rushing by below made for a relaxing night´s sleep.The reception-breakfast room is painted in orange with lovely paintings hanging all around. Breakfast was good with scrambled eggs, marmalade and bread, and they also have a table with assorted teas that you can make for yourself anytime. Wifi was okay in the room, but you can also use the hotel computer for 3 soles an hour. We were met at the train station by one of the girls in charge and she accompanied us up the steep road that led to the hotel. It is a long way uphill but well worth the walk. Just 200 hundred meters from the thermal baths. Remember there are no taxis or means of transport in Aguas Calientes. We paid 144 soles for the three of us with breakfast included, so I consider it good value for a very comfortable quiet stay. Recommended.

Room Tip: Choose rooms onlooking the river for a nice night´s sleep.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AnaAngelica
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We were a group of 7 people so we booked 3 rooms via the Internet...sight unseen. Since the room rate was cheap (with breakfast included), we were prepared to rough it out. But we were pleasantly surprised that the place was quite nice - clean rooms, clean bathrooms, and clean-smelling white towels. They even let all of us choose our rooms so my roommates and I stayed in a room with 4 beds that had a balcony overlooking a river.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed with my brother 1 night last September for a visit to the town (Aguascalientes) and Machu Picchu. We were satisfied with the service, location and the physical plant of the hotel. One big advantage is that it is quiet because it is away from bars or restaurants that stay open late at night (potentially causing a lot of noise). The drawbacks may be that you have a moderate uphill walk of 15 minutes along Pachacutec Ave and about a 15 minutes walk from the train station. The location, however, has the pluses of being very close to the baths and at the quiet far end of Pachacutec Ave. The area is safe. There are other hotels closer to the center of the town, but be alerted of reported noise complaints and overpricing. Our room was small, well kept and in the back, facing the river letting you hear a nice soothing sound of the water rolling on the river. I personally like it ! The rate of 90 nuevos soles for 2 people 1 night was reasonable and included a good breakfast. We were met by 1 lady from the hotel at the train station when we arrived, and she helped us to carry the luggage. There is a jewelry shop by the entrance of the hotel, run by the owner of the hotel that is worth looking because it has nice pieces. The whole building and atmosphere of the hotel is sort of new age, esoteric, mystic. There is certainly character there and is nice. If you have your own computer the wi-fi use is free, otherwise you can use the computer the hotel has for the guests but you have to pay. The staff was very helpful and friendly, but I think they do not speak English at all. We did not have communications problems because we spoke Spannish as our mother language. The owner of the hotel is a very nice sweet person. SO I recommend this hotel because it has the basic amenities you need for a visit to Machu Pichu and Aguascalientes.

Room Tip: Give a try to the rooms that face the river and let you hear the soothing sound of the water rolling...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jgarciaheras
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

For the price I paid ($19) I had someone waiting for me when I got off the train to accompany me to the hostel. I would assume it would be a tad hard to find on your own, it's located at the top of the hill by the Hot Springs. The place is beautifully decorated with all original art that is for sale. I ended up buying a piece for a souvenir, they gave me a great price and I'm thrilled with it. The staff were super friendly but spoke very little English. They asked when I'd like breakfast, and they ahd it ready for me at 4am along with coca tea (which I miss). My room was a tad small but i was there just to sleep, it did have an awesome balcony opening up to the river that runs through Aguas Calientes. El Mistico exceeded all my expectations and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Shawn S
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night after completing the Inca Trek. It is a very good value - only $19 USD for the night, especially since hotels in Aguas Calientes are quite pricey.

The hostal is right beside the hot springs. It was a bit difficult for me to find after getting off the bus and is at the edge of the main tourist part of town.

The employees I dealt with didn't speak much English; but I managed okay. One was particularly helpful when I needed directions to a restaurant.

I had a room overlooking the river, and yes, the balcony doors don't have a lock, but I improvised and used my belt to keep the door closed. The room was satisfactory for my needs with a hot shower and the bed was comfortable. I did just finish the Inca Trek though and my standards may have been lower at this point during my trip.

The breakfast consisted of the usual bread and tea fare.

I would recommend this to travellers who are on a strict budget and don't require many amenities.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room overlooking the river; the noise could be quite loud but it didn't prevent me...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cauliflower18
Clermont-Ferrand, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here in August with my boyfriend and my brother for 1 night.

When we arrived by PeruRail, we were greeted at the train station by an attendant of the hotel who brought us by foot to the hostel which was not very far away. In our room we had 4 beds even though only 3 were necessary but it was the same price. The beds were very comfy and the bathroom was great as well.

Wifi worked pretty decently but got less reception the closer you were to the balcony.

The breakfast was very good of eggs, bread and juice and they served it very early so we could walk down to the main part of town to catch the bus up to Machu Picchu.

The owner of the hostel has his own boutique on the ground level with many handmade jewelery and pieces of art. He was EXTREMELY nice, probably the nicest person we met in all of Peru, and I am not exaggerating! He taught us words in his language and even gave us small wooden pins as a gesture, maybe he does that for everyone but he was sincere and welcoming to us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the river!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends