“Perfect base for Machu Picchu”

El Mistico Machupicchu
Reviewed December 14, 2013

For the price I paid ($19) I had someone waiting for me when I got off the train to accompany me to the hostel. I would assume it would be a tad hard to find on your own, it's located at the top of the hill by the Hot Springs. The place is beautifully decorated with all original art that is for sale. I ended up buying a piece for a souvenir, they gave me a great price and I'm thrilled with it. The staff were super friendly but spoke very little English. They asked when I'd like breakfast, and they ahd it ready for me at 4am along with coca tea (which I miss). My room was a tad small but i was there just to sleep, it did have an awesome balcony opening up to the river that runs through Aguas Calientes. El Mistico exceeded all my expectations and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Shawn S

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night after completing the Inca Trek. It is a very good value - only $19 USD for the night, especially since hotels in Aguas Calientes are quite pricey.

The hostal is right beside the hot springs. It was a bit difficult for me to find after getting off the bus and is at the edge of the main tourist part of town.

The employees I dealt with didn't speak much English; but I managed okay. One was particularly helpful when I needed directions to a restaurant.

I had a room overlooking the river, and yes, the balcony doors don't have a lock, but I improvised and used my belt to keep the door closed. The room was satisfactory for my needs with a hot shower and the bed was comfortable. I did just finish the Inca Trek though and my standards may have been lower at this point during my trip.

The breakfast consisted of the usual bread and tea fare.

I would recommend this to travellers who are on a strict budget and don't require many amenities.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room overlooking the river; the noise could be quite loud but it didn't prevent me...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cauliflower18
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here in August with my boyfriend and my brother for 1 night.

When we arrived by PeruRail, we were greeted at the train station by an attendant of the hotel who brought us by foot to the hostel which was not very far away. In our room we had 4 beds even though only 3 were necessary but it was the same price. The beds were very comfy and the bathroom was great as well.

Wifi worked pretty decently but got less reception the closer you were to the balcony.

The breakfast was very good of eggs, bread and juice and they served it very early so we could walk down to the main part of town to catch the bus up to Machu Picchu.

The owner of the hostel has his own boutique on the ground level with many handmade jewelery and pieces of art. He was EXTREMELY nice, probably the nicest person we met in all of Peru, and I am not exaggerating! He taught us words in his language and even gave us small wooden pins as a gesture, maybe he does that for everyone but he was sincere and welcoming to us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the river!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We hadn't read much in the way of good reviews of Aguas Calientes, and I wasn't really sure of what to expect from El Mistico, but for a night's rest before visiting Machu Picchu the next morning I was very pleased with it.

Aguas Calientes is built in a steep valley, with the railway and bus station at the bottom and the hot springs right at the top. El Mistico is located right next to the hot springs, which means it is a quite a long, steep walk from the station. I traveled with my wife and 81-year old mother, and we were met at the station by a girl from reception who guided us up the valley to the hostal. The high altitude makes any exertion quite exhaustion, and as mum said, she wouldn't want to do that walk too often!

However our rooms had balconies overlooking the stream, and the sound of running water made for a soothing sleep experience. Rooms were clean and comfortable, hot water was hot, breakfast was typical Peruvian and quite acceptable. We didn't have any problem with insects, perhaps the hill was too steep for them as there were plenty of midges down the bottom near the station!

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two night. The room are very basic and not clean. There are a lot of death mosquito's on the wall that are smashed by the people who stayed here before. The shower and the beds were not clean. The router for the wifi was broken, so there was no internet. The shower only has hot water for 3 minutes after that its cold. The staff doesn't speak english.
There were some good things: the beds are good and the breakfast is served as early as you want.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I spent a night in El Mistico, before going to Machu Picchu. When I arrived at the train station, one of the girls from the reception was waiting for me and a group that was also staying at El Mistico. She took us to buy our tickets for the bus ride to MP and then to the hostel. I was surprised as I got a room facing the river, which was a great spirit preparation for the next day. Both room and bathroom were good considering the price. Also, the breakfast was ready very early, perfect timing for taking the first bus to MP.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank marjoriechn
Reviewed October 5, 2013

A nice young lady waited for us at the train station. Both her and the other lady at the reception have been nice & friendly. We could hear the river (really well) from our room as the balcony door didn't lock properly (we found that exotic, but others may find it annoying). But the most exotic thing about the hostel is the interior deccoration - with tons of paintings on mystical themes, not something out of the ordinary for Aguas Calientes, nevertheless quite astonishing for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple