“Lovely hike our last day in Aquas Calientes”
Review of Putucusi Mountain

Putucusi Mountain
Book In Advance
More Info
$625.00*
and up
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu: 4-Day Tour
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We wanted to get a feel for the rain Forrest and see some birds and we were not disappointed! Definitely worth taking an hour or two, especially in the mornings, we saw a flock of parrots fly overhead which was a treat. We did not go to the top as we were recovering from climbing Machu Picchu and waynapicchu two days in a row!

2  Thank TVL4Ever3

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I had no idea what I was getting into when I started. Although I was as fit as a fiddle, climbing the infamous ladders was scary but very exciting. I had been training for months preparing for a base camp Everest trek and this trip to Machu Picchu the week before was a dry run testing the effect of altitude.
It drizzled the whole way up to the top but when I reached the summit the view was super clear and Machu Picchu was adorned with the most amazingly clear rainbow. I feel that scene will be etched in my brain forever.
The danger is very real but if you can overcome the fear, do it, you will be rewarded.

4  Thank Jack A
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I an terribly unfit by any standard and tired easily in the Aguas Calientes thin mountain air but boy did I enjoy this hike.

About a third of the trail is up near vertical wooden ladders with nothing but a metal guide rope for you to hold on to. If you have a problem with vertigo it would definitely be outside your comfort zone. What's more, the ladders and rocky trail get slippery when it has rained so make sure you have solid shoes.

When you make it to the top though, you are rewarded with an amazing view of Machu Picchu and a chest - thumping sense of accomplishment.

Not a trail for everyone but if you want to push yourself for a couple of hours, do it.

2  Thank SheldyC
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I hiked Putucusi in December 2012. There was a sign just past the train tracks that said the trail was closed to visitors, but the gate beyond was not locked so I continued on. I found the (apparently) infamous ladders more exhilarating than scary, and that is coming from someone who has a slight fear of heights. Yes, they are very tall and you would be lucky to survive a fall, but the ladders are well-constructed and stable, and you have a rope to hang onto in addition to the ladder, so you always have multiple points of contact. Just remember, it's easier to go up than it is to come back down them. The trail emerges from the forest after the ladders, and there are fantastic views of the surrounding valleys as you watch Aguas Calientes get smaller and smaller the higher you go. I saw some nice flowers on the way up, and a small tarantula who had been stung by a black wasp. Finally, seeing Machu Picchu at the top from a perspective that few people experience is quite a reward, but if you are adventurous, the hike/climb is just as fun as standing on top of the mountain.

4  Thank JesseofOB
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It's definitely a dangerous climb, but if you are careful, you can minimize the danger. The trail requires no entrance fee which is nice. The top of the mountain is higher than Machu Picchu, so on a clear day it's a very cool view and because the trail is fairly dangerous, not a ton of tourists frequent it. Like others have sad, the ladders are pretty freaky and if you fell off of one of the taller ones, you would most likely be killed or very seriously injured. That said it's one of the more memorable short hikes I did. We got to the top in about an hour and a half, but probably could have done it slightly quicker if it hadn't started raining.

2  Thank Bulg0gi