“Not my favourite”

Ranked #29 of 39 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
Qormi, Malta
“Not my favourite”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The pros are that you have tv in the room and the shower is not cold and they do offer breakfast early enough to get the 6am bus to Machu Picchu. So, for that, I wouldn't rate them as terrible. But, I had torn my daypack and I asked the gentleman running the hostel who was sewing and he said he would fix it "no problem" but the days after that he avoided me and then when I asked him again he said he's not capable. Then they also advertised that we can use the kitchen for free but they kept checking up on us all the time and when I was making some tea, the woman even came in and asked me "what are you doing in here" in spanish. I was taken aback when she said that it's her kitchen so I needed to get out! I think there are better hostels but it's bearable for one night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank esmeralda_attard

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I am a 33 year old male that has been to all 7 continents and numerous countries with a lot of hostal experience. With that said, I don't need to much.

Here's the negative to get it out of the way: rather noisy at night and early morning because most of these place don't have insulation or proper sound proofing. I stayed in 201. Walls were a little dirty, some mold, the bathroom door handle fell off (don't close the door all the way), the water wasn't super hot but decent. If you don't get up by 5am, the noise will from other backpackers and construction.

Now here's the positive: Freddy who was running the place when I stayed was great. His English isnt the best but I understood him. He always gave me fresh towels, even when I went to the hot springs. Gave me soap and the wifi was very good when I was there, which usually isnt the case in other countries.

The lunch and dinner which he made for an extra fee was very good. Breakfast is included and is just bread, butter, jelly, coffee, and tea. But that's the norm in a lot of place in the world. He was very knowledgeable about the area, bus and train times, and how to get things. I usually go days without showering, so a warm shower and a decent bed is fine for me. Other may bash that feature. I gave this place a medium rating on everything except the service. It was excellent and he was kind.

For less than $25 USD a night I couldn't complain. By the way I wrote this whole review on my iPhone 5 in the room on wifi. =]

• Stayed February 2012
Sf Bay Area
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I spent one night here prior to a day trip at Machu Picchu. Overall, it was rather disappointing, in a town full of mediocre tourist traps. Finding the place is a bit confusing, as they run a restaurant which is easy to spot, but there's no signage indicating that the hostal is behind/upstairs the restaurant.

The room that I was shown faced the street, where I was subjected to noise for much of the night. The rooms which did not face the street had no real windows (the windows faced the inside hallway). Due to the location, the entire town is rather humid & damp, and this place had some severe mold problems. Most surfaces in the bathroom were coated in black mold, suggesting that it had been cleaned much (if at all) in a long time.

So basically you're forced to choose between a less damp, yet moldy & noisy room with some ventilation, or a poorly ventilated room that is less noisy.

The staff (all of which seemed to be barely above teenagers), speaks rather limited English. Not a huge deal, but don't expect to be able to communicate much with them beyond the basics.

The wifi was basically broken while I was there, although the staff insisted that both my phone & tablet were at fault (even though both worked just fine at the restaurant down the street, plus everywhere else I've travelled). The wifi seemed to want to connect, but never get assigned an IP address. I wasted a good 30 minutes trying to explain the problem to the staff, before giving up, and using the wifi offered by a restaurant just up the street.

The free breakfast is literally just some stale bread, butter, jam & tea (and only served 6AM-8AM).

Well in advance of my arrival, I emailed the place to inquire what forms of payment they accepted, and they wrote back (in Spanish) that they took US dollars, Soles, VISA & Mastercard. However, upon checking out, they tried to heavily pressure me to pay in cash, and went so far as to pretend that their credit card machine was broken. I called their bluff with one of my own, and pretended that I didn't have enough cash to cover the bill, and only had a credit card. At that point, their credit card machine magically started working, and they processed the payment.

Considering how I paid about US$25 for the single night, I guess overall it wasn't a bad deal, but don't go in with any high expectations, as this place is very basic, and they have little incentive to make any improvements, when most folks are only in town for a night or 2, never to return again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank netllama

Travelers are raving about these Aguas Calientes hotels

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Excellent location. The staff is always ready to help you. Good value for your money. We have no complains. I would not hesitate to go back or recomend it to my family and friends. The roms are in the back, so you do not hear all the night noise.

• Stayed August 2012
Lima, Peru
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I am sure this place is fine, but we would not know. The guy who runs the place overbooked by at least two room because another couple came in with the same problem while we were trying to figure out where we were staying when we had already paid fpr a room at his hotel which had no rooms. He even had us on his computer reservation. Got really confusing because he took us across the street to another hotel (that is a whole other story) but wanted us to pay for the commission on his room. TOTALLY SMARMY!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank g_g294316
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We arrived at the hostel at 11.30am after the tiring trek up the hill. At first on arrival we were greeted by no one as the hostel seemed empty then after we shouted a few 'Hola's' we were greeted by sheer confusion. The room was not ready (even though check in opened at 10am) and we were told to go and see Machu Picchu first. We asked if we could leave one bag with clothes in we were told no. Later in the evening more confusion, after 10 mins of standing around with two flustered people talking to each other in Spanish we were shown to a room but told that we would receive the key later as they couldn't find it. The room was a further disappointment. The bathroom was full of someone else's hair (the sink, shower & floor) and the loo was missing a seat. We had to go and ask for towels and there wasn't any soap. There were two good points to the room the beds were comfortable and there was hot water in the eve (not in the morning). The restaurant was the worst that we had eaten in, one of the dishes had a large piece of plastic in it. Not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great for the price. Good bathroom, clean, big shower with hot water, only problem was a bit of spitting water at the top. No heat in the room, unfortuantely. No TV in our room. Helpful staff, not much English. Up a steep hill, but most places in town are. Will make you a sandwhich to take up Macchu Piccu for 10 soles. Lock door at night after close restaurant, so need to arrange for them to let you out if you want to leave early. Will meet you at the train station if you arrange ahead of time, or ask anyone at the station where it is. Carried our bags down to the station for us for free--we gave a tip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends