“Clean and comfortable”

Ranked #11 of 39 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We found this Hostal to meet all our needs while backpacking on our way to Machu Pichuu. We had to find our own way to the hostal but this is pretty easy esp with the directions from past tripadvisors. Turn right straight after you exit the train station down a little alley way, then take the next right.. Walk along and the hostel is up the 5th street on the left. The service as stated is definately not at a high level, but enough for you to get buy. The bed was comfortable and towel and soap were provided. The bathroom clean and the water hot. We couldnt get much of a signal with the wifi in our room, but then we havn't expected a high level of internet access the whole time we have been in South America, it was adequate. The room was a little noisey (so hubby and I popped a sleeping pill wanting to be well rested for our 4:00am start and entire Machu Pichuu day) but the first room we were shown had two singles and we thought we would be getting a double, so checked with the lady, she showed us another room with a double but did tell us the internet was worse (we wanted the double so switched which seemed not trouble and not any more $$)
Overall I think this is a good place to stay reasonable for the high prices I think you will pay in Aguas. Others mentioned the dampness, I think thats just the semi-tropical nature of the place.....

Room Tip: Interior room we were first shown seemed darker, but might be quieter. We just wanted to double bed...
1 Thank Bethan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Desenzano Del Garda, Italy
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hostal Sol de Oro is close to the train station and everything else since Aguas calientes is a very small place. A lady from the hostal met me when I arrived and we walked to the property. She did not say a welcome word. The hostal offers spacious rooms with comfy beds but my bathroom got flooded every time I used the toilet. I would not say they rushed to fix it. The staff is not rude but they talk to customers only if necessary. The property is clean and they serve breakfast in the early morning (around 0430) so you can catch one of the earliest buses to MP. There is no computer available for guests. They kept my luggage for free when I went to MP. The room rates on their website are higher than Hostelbookers rates. If I consider pros and cons I think I paid a little bit too much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Raphisdogs
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The stay was great, for 40 USD a night plus breakfast, it was a steal! We were very well located and they held our baggage for the day free of charge. Close to the train station, close to the hand craft market, close to everything. I took the desk clerk a chocolate as a parting gift since I had called ahead of time to ensure our queen size bed with a quiet room. Great staff and great room, we had cable and the TV was a huge flat screen, the bathroom was spotless and all we did really was sleep but it was woth every penny. Will recomend and will return!

Room Tip: high floor, less noise
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel served our needs for our visit to Machu Picchu. Positives: very clean, good breakfast served beginning at 4:30am. Just let them know that you have an early visit to Machu Picchu. Negatives: inside it's a bit dark and service is minimal but delivered as needed. The ladies who run it will take care of your requests and serve the breakfasts but they will not overwhelm you with attention. Also, WiFi service was very good in the room. We thought we would be getting a double bed but turned out to be two singles. Price is OK for Machu Picchu. Short walk, 4 or 5 blocks to the right when you leave the train station.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel where someone will be available to give you a high level of service, this is not the place for you. The (I believe it's a family who owns and operates) are around just enough to take care of all the basics. We were told by email that we would be met at the train station but they didn't show up. This was disconcerting, but it's an easy walk to the hotel and they were present all the other times we needed them -- starting breakfast promptly at 4:30 am, which was the perfect time since you should arrive about 5 am to get on one of the first buses to Machu Picchu.

The breakfast is the standard in Peru, tea, orange juice, bread with (maybe) margarine and jam, (maybe) eggs. Wifi worked well in some parts but not so great in others -- I think it's a great thing to have any in this remote location. I was truly impressed by our large room complete with a large window and small table and chairs, and good hot water available every time we used the shower. That shower was really a treat, and decent towels were included.

The big problem we had here was noise from outside, which was not the hotel's fault and is probably common to most places in Aguas Calientes, but I want to warn other travelers! On Saturday and Sunday, it started around 5 pm and went until 2 or 3 am -- so almost all the time you'd wish to be sleeping. On Monday it started around 9 am, not sure when it might have ended or if it's a problem on other days of the week. It seems like they have a parade/party, with microphone/speakered singing, a band playing, near-constant whistling, and other forms of noise. Believe me, after the first few hours it will be the bane of your existence -- we could hear it through earplugs that normally bring blissful silence. So, bring earplugs for sure and maybe ask for an interior room where it might not be so loud.

Overall, you must come with the understanding that prices are high and standards are low for all sorts of services here, and in that context I think it's a good value for a clean, comfortable place to stay. I would return and recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashley L
USA
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Tough town to find a place to stay.. I felt like it was spend a fortune or tolerate places that got some pretty bad reviews. This hostel is not pretty, but very clean, great shower, good breakfast and very inexpensive. Great value. Since the goal here is to simply get to Machu Picchu at a reasonable time. This hostel serves the purpose. People are friendly and accommodating. Unexpectedly the staff was at the train station and walked us the 5 minutes to the hostel. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

...i agree with the other reviews - this place deserves a high rating. We stayed for 3 nights - although we thought we would get a double bed configuration - we got 2 singles instead - the beds were super comfortable and warm, the bathroom had a fabulous shower with instant hot water, the overall room was very clean.

We did have breakfast on one of the mornings (they will ask you each day what time you want breakfast, which 4.30 to 8.30am) and to be honest, it was pretty ordinary. Hollow bread rolls, butter, jam, overly sweet juice, fried eggs, which could have been cooked a lot longer and no seasoning.. go elsewhere if you can..

Overall, great value for money and located very close to the train station...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple