“WORST HOTEL EVER!!!!!”

Taypikala Hotel Machupicchu
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Do NOT stay at this hotel. If you have a reservation, then cancel it! Let me first state that I am a fairly easy traveler, so I am happy with cleanliness and hospitality. The ONLY thing this hotel had was (1) hot water and (2) it was clean. Everything else was horrible.
I booked this hotel due to proximity and the fact that it received decent (but mixed) reviews on Trip Advisor. Since I was travelling with my father, I specifically requested a room with either twin beds or double beds. The hotel confirmed to me (in writing) that the only double beds offered were in their Suite. OK - I booked it. Upon arriving (clearly within the check in time) we were told it would be "10 minutes" before the room was ready. In actuality, it took and hour and a half!! Then our suite turned out to be only 1 double bed! After much back and forth, while showing the manager my correspondence (confirming 2 beds), he then offers us a standard room. Turns out, there were tons of standard rooms (which is all I needed in the first place) all of which were empty. Upon moving to the standard room, the manager informed me that I would still have the pay the rate of a suite (which is 3 times the cost)!! I asked why the standard rooms were not offered when I booked the hotel, and he informed me that they don't offer standard rooms on line - just suites. Alrighty - that's a bait and switch. Furthermore, all the desk staff acted as though they didn't speak or understand english...but when I called one morning to let them know that the toilet was overflowing...they suddenly understood everything crystal clear! I was sooo annoyed! The power went out on our last day, so that complicated the payment of the room. The manager (Oscar) which I know refer to as "El Dictator" asked me to pay cash. I explained that the hotel had already charged me, and it was reflecting on my credit card bill. Nevertheless, since the power was out....he followed me down the hill to the train station and hooked up his credit card machine in an internet cafe to charge me AGAIN! Can you imagine?? What hotel (or any person with basic service skills does that???). Now I have to call up my credit card company and explain why I was charged twice!
I would have paid more to stay in a better place. In fact, I would have camped outside and been better off! This place really does rip you off (as a previous traveller noted). They go out of their way to be rude, and misleading!!! I have travelled to 40+ countries, and this is WORST HOTEL!!!!! Don't take the chance. Macchu Picchu is such a special place, and there are plenty of other hotels. This place is a nightmare!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
17  Thank NewYorkSouthernBelle

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed recently at the Taypikala in AC and we were wondering what we were going to get considering the reputation hotels have in AC. The hotel was not cheap (around US$150/night). The shower curtain and the silicone around the bath was quite mouldy but the rest of the room was not bad. The worse was really the service. They offered a wake up call (we did not ask for it) as we mentioned we were going up to MP on the first bus. Next morning they didn't even bother to call. As we weren't sure they would do it we fortunately had our own alarm clock. After breakfast we went down to reception to pay and I showed them a copy of the booking through Pacarama. As we had payed a deposit already, the balance was $122.37. The receptionist placed the sheet under the desk, out of my sight and said out was $123. I know ot is just a pittance, but it was just his attitude. As we offered to pay with $125, he had to give us $2 change if it was indeed $123. He said he didn't have dollars to give us so he would give us change in soles and his exchange rate was $1=2 soles. I asked him why they had a notice over the counter in front of me saying their exchange rate was $1=2.60 soles and he was trying to do a much poorer rate to us. Basically we was trying to cheat us very blatantly. He had no answer to this and suddenly the change in dollars he didn't have materialised. Again, it is not much money but it is not acceptable that a receptionist is trying to cheat you on anything. Money cost us all hard work so why should he treat us like just people to take advantage of?

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank koyasan
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Lovely room overlooking a small square. Met at railway station by staff member who guided us to the hotel with our luggage. Modern room and bathroom, although I did have to ask for a hairdryer. This was provided by the front desk with no problems. We were able to leave our luggage while we went to Machu Pichu. Good breakfast with offer of omlete made to order.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank ScotlivingintheUS
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This hotel is clean and orderly. There is pretty much everything youll need. Our only complaint that though the papaya juice was free they charged us about 16 soles for 2 bottles of water that we needed to take up to machu picchu. Just beware that everything in Aguas Calientes is over priced compared to Cusco. Tip: by water bottles from the stores near the bus lines to Machu Picchu (its cheaper) and also, if you want to be in the first buses up (wayna Pichu) make sure to get to the line before 4am.

Room Tip: very clean. no frills. very close to the hot springs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I completely trusted the reviews below and booked this hotel for our honeymoon, the ONE night we would spend in Aguas Calientes. Granted, the hotel is nice but it is REALLY far away from the train station so if you are not really used to the altitude, you better have one of those oxygen pumps to get there, specially with the guy that went to pick us up at the train station running in front of us. We got there and they told us our suite was on the 3rd floor, of course no elevators but that is normal in Aguas Calientes. We got to the suite and it was still being cleaned. We were invited to sit on the stairs until it was done by one very disrespectfull staff member. I understand this can happen (although they DID have our arrival time) but at least, they could have asked us to wait in the lobby.The room was nice but the bathroom had one of the tiles, literally, taped to the wall. When we got into our room and tried to call the front desk, the phone didn't work so we had to go downstairs and they promised they would change it. We left for Machu Picchu and when we came back our bathroom was flooded as the toilet was leaking. We let the front desk know and even though they said they would fix it, when we came back it was leaking again! The whole bathroom was wet. On the bright side, I have to say they did offer and took breakfast to the room to try and compensate for all the problems, but really, it's not a cheap hotel so they should do better than that! Oh, and blackout curtains should be a must in a hotel like this and specially, in their suites!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2011

First thing I must point out is that I stayed here literally a week or two after it opened, by the sounds of the newer reviews it seems they've ironed the kinks out.

The rooms are great, clean, large and air conditioned. I did, however, have a hole in the wall of my shower that through the wall and you could see the pipes. Again, this has probably been rectified.

Breakfast wasn't that great...they basically serve you eggs, how you want them, and some bread.

Staff was very friendly but one of them didn't know much...she couldn't figure out how to transfer a call to my room and kept hanging up on my friend! Frustrating when you're calling across the globe. In the end I had to go down to reception and talk to him on the phone there! She also didn't speak any English. The other guy that I saw working was much more knowledgeable.

Location is great, above the town and beside the river. Most of the hotels in Aguas Calientes are a bit shoddy so this one stands out for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Angela F
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Wonderful hotel and staff...providing peace and sanctuary after a long day hiking through Machu Picchu! The hotel is relatively new and provides rooms beyond it's rating. Great stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends