“Outstanding Cooking Class and Great Food!”
Review of The Tree House

The Tree House
Cuisines: Peruvian, Contemporary, International, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our team in The Tree House Restaurant works with passion to create what some of our guests tell us is their best dinning experience in South America.
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was in Aguas Calientes for four nights while visiting Machu Picchu. The food at The Tree House was delicious, and the cooking class was phenomenal. The class included a private lesson on how to make a Pisco Sour, how to make a superb Trout Ceviche (without a doubt the most delicious Ceviche I've ever tasted), and how to make a dish of Quinotto with Chicken and Parmesan Cheese. The class was fantastic and the food I made at it was as delicious as any I've had before. I highly recommend taking The Tree House cooking class and eating at the restaurant - it's worth the somewhat difficult climb up the hill.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,404)

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our hotel had recommended this restaurant & also found it highly rated in Moon guide. There is construction on the street so the sidewalk was torn up. There were wooden planks to walk on which were slick at times. However, once you get to the restaurant it is a slice of heaven. The wait staff was very attentive & gave us a complementary appetizer in addition to what we ordered. My husband had the ribs with elderberry sauce, my daughter the chicken & I had the trout. We also ordered some ceviche (to surprise my daughter) which was absolutely delicious. All of our meals were perfectly prepared with detail to presentation as well as taste. We had their passionfruit pie for dessert which was light & fresh tasting.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This restaurant has outstanding food, top notch service, a great bar and fair prices. It's not easy to find and you must walk up a lot of stairs that are currently under construction. Don't let that deter you, it's absolutely worth the effort. Our group had many different dishes but I think the Kuchi Ribs, Quinotto, and Thai Chicken were among our favorites. The complimentary quiche appetizer was excellent. Who knew a little tourist town like Aguas Calientes had such a treasure!

3  Thank JanetB93
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed in Aguas Calientes for two nights...the usual tourist trip to Machu Picchu. Actually, after eating and hanging out at the Tree House restaurant, we should have stayed at the Tree House Hotel...but that's a different review.

The food at the Tree House was absolutely wonderful. There were 4 in our party, each of us ordering different entrees from the menu, and they were all cooked to perfection. The trout ceviche was wonderful as well. I ordered the quinoa and chicken dish...melts in your mouth.

The service was excellent, and the waiter not only knew all the dishes inside and out (and was an excellent chef himself), he had an in-depth knowledge of Pisco, Peru's native distilled grape liquor.

Since the food was so good, and since we had some time to kill in the morning before our train departed, we decided to take the cooking class at the restaurant the next morning. Highly recommended! All 4 of us took the class. It started with a Pisco Sour class, as well as an in-depth Pisco tasting. Great way to start the day! Then we divided into 2 groups of 2, and took turns cooking 2 dishes and eating the dishes (plan on being STUFFED after the class). We started with trout ceviche, and finished with the chicken quinoa dish. And even though I had eaten both dishes the night before, I was in no way disappointed with the dish selection. It was actually pretty cool to see how they made (and learn how to make) what I loved so very much the night before.

All in all, I think this is the best restaurant in town. We ate at a couple of the other top-rated TripAdvisor restaurants, but I can't recommend this one enough.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The steak was superb. They have happy hour I think from 430 to 530 and after 9. Very nice atmosphere as well. Pleasant staff. You have to climb a bunch of steps to get there but it's worth it. It's not really expensive but you'll pay more than average.