“I'd just as soon pass”
Review of Hostal Muyurina

Hostal Muyurina
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I spent and unscheduled night in this hostal on April 2, 1013. I'd just as soon have taken a pass. I say unscheduled because we had intended to walk the Inca Trail but could only do the first day of it. Instead, after a night back in Cusco, we were booked into this place for $60/night USD.

The first thing they did was walk us up to the 5th floor to what was presumably the best room in the place. When I told them I'd like to see another room, they took us down to the 2nd floor for a much smaller room but, as it turned out, the same price. I found it noisy because of some guy who kept hammering until well after dark, maybe the same guy mentioned by an earlier reviewer - it seems to be perpetually under construction. The food for breakfast was minimally acceptable and hardly filling. The internet was a joke and the signal never did stay strong enough to allow us to stay logged on.

The most irritating matter, though, was the front desk clerk, who hardly looked at us (maybe the owner's son?) and informed me that the "agency" that booked the room would pay the bill. So, we left, only to be run down hours later by a woman who I presume was the owner saying that the clerk was wrong and we still owned the $60. So, after some muttering, I pulled out three US $20s and got rid of her.

All in all, I was pretty unhappy with our stay - a very average but noisy room, uninterested staff, lousy wifi, and below average food. The good part was that it was just up the street from the Indio Feliz, an excellent restaurant that served ethnic Peruano food, well worth the price.

Room Tip: Just stay away.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 31, 2012

After the service from the hosts in Cusco, this was our last stop, and what a contrast.
The host were not around most of the time, renovations were happening, the first room we were given we could not stay as it smelled like a sewage pipe had been broken. We got moved to another room above which was moderately better smelling wise.
Now to the hosts: I think they thought this place was their own house and guests were a major INCONVENIENCE. Breakfast 4 rotten bananas, and no effort showing breakfast was available. The foyer was used as the host kid kinder playground which started round 6.45am with him calling out to Grandma (abuela), whom I think was meant to be the hotel cook except she didn't realise that and used the kitchen as the family's kitchen.

One thing about this place ALL PAYING GUESTS WERE A MAJOR INCONVENIENCE. It was an absolute [--], and smelt like it too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Let me start with, I did not choose to stay here. It was a case of "bait and switch" by Green Nature Hotel. I will file a complaint separately for their unfair practices.
So let me clarify that the Hotel Muyurina which I am referring to is one that is 2 doors away from El Indio Feliz and right next door to a disco. The pictures from other travelers is not the same place we are staying 1 night. I will post pictures when I get home as I am writing this review at present time in this hotel. I will state the facts and you decide.
Pros:
3-4 blocks to bus station for Machu Picchu
Close proximity to the Plaza, restaurants, stores...but then again that's mostly what this town has plenty of.
Wifi in the lobby and since our room was above the lobby we had signal

Cons:
Smell of sweat and body odor on the linens
Small 'rice size' black bugs and mosquitos in the room
Dirty, stained window coverings
Low toilet pressure (could be normal for A.Caliente) and yellow water, noticed b/c of clogged sink
Small mounted T.V. with no remote control
Thin walls, you can hear the telephone ringing in the reception and conversations
Next door to disco, we could here music playing
Construction supplies and equipment in plain view on 2nd floor
No banister or rail for staircase, unsafe if you have small children
Seems to be ran by a family with no experience in the Hospitality industry
No toiletries, only small soap
Across town from the train station, 10-15 min walk

Now, for my personal opinion. This place is fine if you haven't showered in a week and don't mind the feeling of bugs crawling on your skin. Otherwise look elsewhere, there are plenty of hotels. Unfortunately for us, it was late and although we asked 3 nearby hotels, we found no vacancies. We decided to sleep in our clothes and wake up early for our Machu Picchu hike.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KMP73
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have no idea who would give this place anything but 1 or 2 star reviews. I am traveling with a friend who likes to have reservations in advance....He panicked and insisted we book prior to arrival. What a mistake. This was by far the worst place we have stayed in almost 3 weeks in Peru. And it was $120 USD each of the two nights. I think they moved locations and are also under construction. The smell of raw sewage greeted you every time you walked out the front door. The biggest problem with this place is the dirt. They just don't clean. Hair on the floor, clogged bathroom drain, no wifi, lousy breakfast, just plain BAD! Most people only stay one night in Aguas...we stayed two....OUCH....just Nasty!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Its not easy to find a quiet room in Aguas Calientes, but Muyurani is right by the river and the lovely waters drown out the street noise. I slept like a baby here. King size beds, hot water 24/7, and HEATERS in the rooms! All for a reasonable price, and close to everything. HIGHLY recommend this very nice place.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Like many others, I think this one was one of the worst ones I stayed in whilst in Peru. I would have to agree with nearly everything already said. We were first given the first room on the first floor, with the lobby couches sitting right next to it. We immediately asked for another one and was put on the third floor. Still facing the lobby. On the third floor, we didn't have any problems with noise. It was very humid and very buggy. The window in the bathroom was taped on. I can't believe it stayed. And for some really weird reason there was a frosted window into the bathroom next door. So even though we couldn't actually see the people in the other bathroom, you could see movements. Not something I really liked. The shower had a very deep tub -- for good reason. It didn't drain; so if it hadn't been that deep, there would have been water all over the place.

On a positive note, the staff is VERY nice and accommodating. They let us use the internet on the computer for free. There is also free wifi, so if you have a laptop or smartphone, you can use it for free. The breakfast wasn't any different from anywhere else we stayed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We liked it here. very helpful staff, clean, quiet, comfortable--- good location.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple