“Decent hotel, close to bus / train stations and restaurants”
Review of Santuario Hotel

Santuario Hotel
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Santuario for one night.

The service was good. I liked how the hotel offered to let me check out and let me leave my luggage with them. Someone from the hotel then went to the train station with my stuff, and I collected my luggage from him after my Machu Picchu tour.

Overall, the location is very convenient to everything you need (bus, train, shopping) in Aguas Calientes. It's five minutes walk to the train station. The daily bus service to and from Machu Picchu is only one minute walk from the hotel. The restaurants and market place are about five to ten minutes by foot.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank David Y

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Well, let´s start from: none goes to Aguas Calientes to spend most of the time enjoying the hotel.

So, if you need a place to sleep decently, Santuario Hotel can work out.
Our room was clean, the bed was confortable (although small - we are used to queen/king size bed) and the shower was amazing - hot water and powerful shower. And, OMG, there was a decent hair dryer!

We had breakfast at 5 am and it wasn´t exactly good, but wasn´t exactly bad as well... but, at least, it was there at 5am, we could eat and go to Machu Picchu early.

The staff is friendly and helpful, but you´d better use your alarm clock because they didn´t call us as we expected to. They say they have wifi in the rooms, but we didn´t find the signal in ours.

I really didn´t enjoy staying at the 3rd floor and having no elevators! After Inka Valley and Machu Picchu your legs get a little scared about stairs...

Room Tip: First floor!!!
Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Camilli C
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

At first, you can not expect to much in Aguas Calientes. So, this hotel is very reasonable: well located, good shower, tv. No elevator. Internet is very slow. Breakfast is average. 100 meters from bus station and 200 meters from train station. It‘s ok for one or two nights. You are here not to enjoy the hotel, but to spend your time in Macchupicchu!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First off, you can't beat the location. It is right next to the entrance of Macchu Pichu and right but the buses that take you up there. It overlooks a nice river. It just seemed a little worn. However, best shower (very powerful) of our whole trip. Definitely worth it just for the location to everything in the town. Plentiful breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I've seen a lot of misinformation about this place, but maybe the reviews are just outdated. I stayed here for one night with my girlfriend in September 2012, and we had a perfectly good experience.

Our room was clean and my iPhone picked up WiFi on the third floor (just had to ask for the password). We also had hot water, although it took a few minutes to kick-in. My only complaint would be the size of the TV (which had DirectTV connected to it), but we were off at Machu Picchu and exploring Aguas Calientes so much that I'm not sure we ever turned it on.

Another plus: The staff was extremely helpful and nice. After check-out, they graciously let us store our bags with the hotel until we came back down from Machu Picchu later that day. And the breakfast buffet was excellent.

If I ever find myself back in Aguas Calientes, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bryden M
Reviewed May 30, 2012

After touring Machu Picchu, we checked into the hotel. The room was on the third floor (i.e. the US fourth floor) and there was no elevator. Pack light. While some rooms have balconies and views of the river, mine was on the back of the hotel. It had a window into the bathroom from an unfinished construction site behind, and a window into the room overlooking a construction site/trash dump slope. There are no screens on the windows. It was too warm to leave the windows closed, so the room was full of bugs at night. Bathroom was small and the hot water was totally inconsistent. My least favorite hotel of my Peru tour, bar none.

With that said: the breakfast was good, the first floor lounge was comfortable, and the staff was generally thoughtful and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front side of the hotel. Pack lightly. If you can store your heavier bags in Cus...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank elizavieta
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed here one nite, that was plenty. Room was small and delapidated. Carpet was dirty and falling apart. Electrical outlet hanging by wiring from the wall. Three stars is more than generous!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family