“Not a place I would go back to”
Review of Royal Inti Inn

Royal Inti Inn
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our tour company booked us here for one night and was definitely one night too many. The first room we were given was a large room with a good bathroom, unfortunately I could not stand the smell. The second room was much smaller but there was no smell. I could not get comfortable in this hotel and found it to be more like a hostel. On the good side it was clean and the front desk staff tried to be helpful. It is the only hotel I have ever been to that we were told we could not have extra toilet paper, we would have to buy it at the local store. Very strange. The breakfast was not something that I could recommend. There are better places to stay before you head to Machu Picchu.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank retiredtraveller2015

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The worst experience of a G Adventure tour, culminating in Machu Picchu. We checked into this place and had to wait to get a room. One of our fellow travelers spotted a mouse crawling across the desk clerk's counter. My husband was ill and needed a place to sleep, and after an hour they had a room ready. Basic accomodation is all we need, but this was far below basic. There were not enough blankets or pillows and my requests were ignored, so I helped myself to some from another room. The beds were hard twin beds, the floors were grimy and the bathroom provided a towel and soap only. The shower was filthy. Somehow the hotel had fit this room into the inside of a corridor with no windows. Thank God and G Adventures we were moved with our group to a much better place at 8pm, after the complaints of our group became overwhelming.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rcurry17
Reviewed May 11, 2013

There are two pros to this hotel: 1 - it's close proximity to Machu Picchu, 2 - the efforts of the staff to make your stay as good as possible. However, this wasn't enough to make up for the hotels failings. Whilst we were checking in, I nipped to the loos downstairs in the restaurant and can honestly say that these were the dirtiest toilets that I used in all of Peru (including the huts in the jungle!). This wasn't a good start, but I was prepared to put it aside as the room on initial inspection appeared ok. We were staying in the bedroom immediately above the restaurant and facing out onto the street. The noise was incredible and lasted well into the early hours of the morning - people laughing downstairs followed by fighting on the streets. This wasn't helped by the fact that it wasn't possible to close the window in the bathroom. The door on the shower was broken and there was no bath mat so the bathroom flooded every time we showered and the floor became very wet and slippy. Lastly, the bed sheets smelled very damp and fusty and did not feel clean at all.

Separately we were a group of about 15 staying in the hotel and decided to have dinner in the restaurant downstairs. It was like being part of an episode of Fawlty Towers. It took hours to take our order, further hours to deliver the food and then sorting out the bill at the end, was a nightmare.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2013

When we arrived at the train terminal, someone from the hotel was supposed to get us.. no one was there! They said they have phone connection problems, and that nobody from the agency fron Cusco let them know that we were arriving that day! Bad start, and it goes worse.. no room for us! They sent us to another hotel from the same owner, it was really awful! We complained and returned to the hotel. Got a room, we were 2 friends travelling together and had to share a bed! Rather did that that stay at the other hotel.The room: no towels, hangers, no breakfast ready at the time it was supposed to be, no cleaning of the room or toilet at all during the 2 night stay, no extra toilet paper.... VERY nosy hotel, both guests and maids shouting as from 5 am!!! Very bright room, no ventilation at all, smaller sheets than the matress, dirty cover. NOT coming back!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank carmencita75
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed here as part of a group trip, which meant I had no say whatsoever in where I wanted to stay. I quite frankly don't even know how much the hotel costs compared to everything else in the area. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never stayed in a hostel. I don't know how others would describe this place but it certainly fits my idea of what I think a hostel is. Therefore, I can't say how it compares to others.

Some of the pros: #1 Clean room, #2 Kind staff (although not many speak English), #3 Not too far a walk (5-10 minutes) from where the bus to Machu Picchu departs.

Some of the cons: #1 The rooms are not designed with comfort in mind. Clearly they expect visitors to spend less than 24-hours as they arrive into Aguas Calientes and depart by 5am for Machu Picchu. #2 More than one outlet in the room is a luxury. That sucks when two or more people are sharing a room and there's lots of technology between the two (or three) of you that needs to be recharged. #3 There are no bathmats. After stepping out of the shower I slipped and almost fell quite a few times. I had flip-flops for the shower and my wet footprints tracked into the bedroom area. #4 There are supposedly three wireless routers of which almost NONE of them worked. My group occupied quite a bit of the building and everyone was trying desperately to get online. #5 There are no railings on the inner stairs and I found it a little unnerving.

Recommendations: #1 Ask for an extra towel when you check-in that you can lay on the floor just outside of the shower stall. Your safety depends on it. #2 Don't realistically expect to be able to get online. At the time of my visit, the WiFi signals were incredibly weak and everyone was trying to access it at the same time. #3 Pay extra if necessary to hire a porter to carry your bags from the train station to the Inn. Fortunately my group handled it and it was a service I truly appreciated. The streets of Aguas Calientes can be very confusing as you arrive and have to pass through a huge market. Not to mention the fact that it's pretty much a modest uphill and winding route to get there. I would have been annoyed beyond belief if I had to find my way there AND carry my bags on my own. #4 Request a room on the second floor if possible should you have knee trouble or difficulty climbing stairs. My room was on the fifth floor.

At the end of the day, I was satisfied but slightly annoyed at this location. You pretty much have two options: #1 You can save money on accommodations and be patient with what you get. Understand that you're staying at this location for likely less than 24-hours and you're simply passing through to Machu Picchu. #2 If you're not comfortable with the idea of staying in anything reminiscent of a hostel - even for less than 24-hours - RUN for the hills. Spend your money and stay in one of the higher-end hotels closer to Machu Picchu. It will cost several hundred dollars US, but for some people the price is well worth it. Just understand that you can't realistically spend a little and expect to get five star service and the world for your money.

Room Tip: Request an extra towel so it may be used as a bath mat
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank appetite4trvl
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed there one night before visiting Machu Picchu. No heater. Nobody talks English here to answer any questions. It gets real cold, and the sheets they provided did not help in my case.
No elevator. Room had only one power outlet. Very noisy room.
We were at their restaurant - which was even worse. We ordered 2 items: chicken fried rice and chicken on skewers. Had to literally wait one hour and after severe complaining, we got one dish: chicken fried rice: which was decent and the chicken on skewers came out real raw... I don't understand the point of making us wait for 1 hour for that. It wasn't like the restaurant was crowded.
Don't stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank srkkreddy
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I found the Royal Inti Inn quite difficult to find. It seemed to lack proper signage and its neighbours had no idea where it was. The lobby looks nice enough but the rooms were extremely spartan. The bathroom smelled moldy and the only thing you got was a bar of soap and a towel laid out on the bed. The room was sketchy enough so that I inspected the bed for bedbugs. Fortunately the bed linens appeared clean however they smelled like the previous occupant.

Clearly the hotel relies on patrons who only spend a night before going to Machu Picchu and it isn't really worth their while to offer anything special. You've paid your money and you're just going to leave the next day.

Few of the hotel staff speak English but this is quite common throughout Peru. Breakfast opens at 6 so if you're trying to get the 5:30 bus to MP you're out of luck.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo