“Be Prepared And You Won't Be Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Inti Inn

Royal Inti Inn
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Chicago, IL
“Be Prepared And You Won't Be Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed here as part of a group trip, which meant I had no say whatsoever in where I wanted to stay. I quite frankly don't even know how much the hotel costs compared to everything else in the area. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never stayed in a hostel. I don't know how others would describe this place but it certainly fits my idea of what I think a hostel is. Therefore, I can't say how it compares to others.

Some of the pros: #1 Clean room, #2 Kind staff (although not many speak English), #3 Not too far a walk (5-10 minutes) from where the bus to Machu Picchu departs.

Some of the cons: #1 The rooms are not designed with comfort in mind. Clearly they expect visitors to spend less than 24-hours as they arrive into Aguas Calientes and depart by 5am for Machu Picchu. #2 More than one outlet in the room is a luxury. That sucks when two or more people are sharing a room and there's lots of technology between the two (or three) of you that needs to be recharged. #3 There are no bathmats. After stepping out of the shower I slipped and almost fell quite a few times. I had flip-flops for the shower and my wet footprints tracked into the bedroom area. #4 There are supposedly three wireless routers of which almost NONE of them worked. My group occupied quite a bit of the building and everyone was trying desperately to get online. #5 There are no railings on the inner stairs and I found it a little unnerving.

Recommendations: #1 Ask for an extra towel when you check-in that you can lay on the floor just outside of the shower stall. Your safety depends on it. #2 Don't realistically expect to be able to get online. At the time of my visit, the WiFi signals were incredibly weak and everyone was trying to access it at the same time. #3 Pay extra if necessary to hire a porter to carry your bags from the train station to the Inn. Fortunately my group handled it and it was a service I truly appreciated. The streets of Aguas Calientes can be very confusing as you arrive and have to pass through a huge market. Not to mention the fact that it's pretty much a modest uphill and winding route to get there. I would have been annoyed beyond belief if I had to find my way there AND carry my bags on my own. #4 Request a room on the second floor if possible should you have knee trouble or difficulty climbing stairs. My room was on the fifth floor.

At the end of the day, I was satisfied but slightly annoyed at this location. You pretty much have two options: #1 You can save money on accommodations and be patient with what you get. Understand that you're staying at this location for likely less than 24-hours and you're simply passing through to Machu Picchu. #2 If you're not comfortable with the idea of staying in anything reminiscent of a hostel - even for less than 24-hours - RUN for the hills. Spend your money and stay in one of the higher-end hotels closer to Machu Picchu. It will cost several hundred dollars US, but for some people the price is well worth it. Just understand that you can't realistically spend a little and expect to get five star service and the world for your money.

Room Tip: Request an extra towel so it may be used as a bath mat
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank appetite4trvl

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hillsboro, OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed there one night before visiting Machu Picchu. No heater. Nobody talks English here to answer any questions. It gets real cold, and the sheets they provided did not help in my case.
No elevator. Room had only one power outlet. Very noisy room.
We were at their restaurant - which was even worse. We ordered 2 items: chicken fried rice and chicken on skewers. Had to literally wait one hour and after severe complaining, we got one dish: chicken fried rice: which was decent and the chicken on skewers came out real raw... I don't understand the point of making us wait for 1 hour for that. It wasn't like the restaurant was crowded.
Don't stay there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank srkkreddy

Travelers are raving about these Aguas Calientes hotels

Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I found the Royal Inti Inn quite difficult to find. It seemed to lack proper signage and its neighbours had no idea where it was. The lobby looks nice enough but the rooms were extremely spartan. The bathroom smelled moldy and the only thing you got was a bar of soap and a towel laid out on the bed. The room was sketchy enough so that I inspected the bed for bedbugs. Fortunately the bed linens appeared clean however they smelled like the previous occupant.

Clearly the hotel relies on patrons who only spend a night before going to Machu Picchu and it isn't really worth their while to offer anything special. You've paid your money and you're just going to leave the next day.

Few of the hotel staff speak English but this is quite common throughout Peru. Breakfast opens at 6 so if you're trying to get the 5:30 bus to MP you're out of luck.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Belgrade, Serbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

Very, very bad hotel! We got it through the arrangement we made for visit to Machu Picchu. The hotel is uphill (though we got assistance from the train station). The reception is a joke, nobody speaks English. The room is really basic, to the extent that there was not even toilet paper. It was also very noisy whnever somebody was using water. THe breakfast was also not what is normally considered as breakfast. One of the worst experiences in the last years when it comes to hotels. Avoid!

Room Tip: There is no help if you stay there...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dimitrije56
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

The "hotel" is located in the town at the foot of Machu Picchu (called Aguas Calientes or Machu Picchu Pueblo), not in Cusco.

I did not choose to stay here. We had booked a room for one night at Gringo Bill's, but they were "closed" due to some local ordinance, so they sent us to the Royal Inti Inn. (See my review of Gringo Bill's to see what I think of that practice...)

We would have never chosen to stay here! The location alone was enough to drive us batty because it was way up Av Parachutec toward the hot springs, so you have to hike quite a ways almost straight uphill to get to the hotel with your bags.

The rooms are musty and smell like mold because there is no ventilation in the bathroom and the steam builds up when you shower. We had to keep the door to the hallway open until we went to sleep to try to get rid of the moldy smell.

The rooms are noisy because they have single-paned windows that don't close completely, face the street, and the restaurant on the first floor plays music until 10pm or later.

Our particular also suffered from holes in the cement walls, and cracks around the door frames that let these giant insects into the room! We had to dispose of a huge moth (at least 3" wingspan), a giant thing that looked like a centipede but wasn't because it was slithering like a small snake up the wall, and lots of fruit-fly like gnat things.

Btw, the beds are rock hard -- as hard as the cold tile floor.

Finally, we took one look at the breakfast the next morning and decided to not to risk it. A limp offering of coffee, reconstituted juices (likely reconsituted with tap water), sliced lunch meat and sliced cheese -- buzzing with those gnat things? Ugh. We survived on Cliff Bars that day.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Former_grad_student
Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Our experience in this hotel actually was not that bad. The only complaint is about pick-up. Although our travel agent had arranged a pick-up from the train station, after arrival no one was waiting for us. As it was midday and I had the hotel address, we managed to find it on our own. Upon arrival we had to wait some 20 minutes for our room to be cleaned. The room itself was very nice, bathroom had all the toiletries needed, as well as 2 complimentary bottles of water. The breakfast was not the best ve've had, but was OK. When going to Maccu Picchu, left our backpacks in the storage. Overall the hotel is really good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed there only for one night while going to matchu pitcchu.
The hotel is really clean and the staff is helpful.
The room is really big and has a Mini-bar the bed is really comfortable.
Aguas caliente is really small but this hotel is not good for older people because is about 4 block up on the hill.

Bacal