“Review for Inti Punku Inn”

Inti Punku Macchu Picchu Hotel
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Portland, Oregon
“Review for Inti Punku Inn”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This place was more suited to hostel traveling than to people who want a decent and comfortable stay.
The only pro I can think of is they had free wifi in the lobby.
It was noisy with construction at the hotel and surrounding areas, the bath is totally outdated, the windows let in drafts as there are gaps, and overall it just felt cheap.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I know.
If you are a backpacker, it might be fine for your purposes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank silverfilings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
California
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I picked this hotel for all the wrong reasons. It worked out OK, but if I could do it over, I would have picked a different one.

As I was making my travel plans for this trip, I discovered that it’s not always easy to figure out the exact location of a hotel. The information on the hotel website (if there is one) does not necessarily match the Google maps location. And if the hotel website information is vague (or non-existent), it can be confusing. This was one of several hotels that ended up not being where I expected.

I thought the hotel was over by the river, northwest of the train station, and on the same side of the river as the train station. It turns out that area is the tourist market. This hotel is actually on the East side of the train station, literally 20 feet from the tracks.

First, let me say that my primary reason for picking this hotel was because it was close to the train station. I figured that since we would be walking to the hotel and hauling all our large suitcases, it was important to be close to the train station, right? Wrong.

Later, I learned that you aren’t allowed to bring your big suitcases on the train to Aguas Calientes anyway. You need to leave your bags somewhere (e.g. hotel in Sacred Valley), and only bring a small overnight bag. So, we arrived in Aguas Calientes with just our day packs, stuffed with extra clothes, toiletries, etc. Therefore, with respect to luggage, it would have been easy to walk to any hotel in the whole town. (It’s a small town.)

Not only was it unnecessary to be near the train station, but it was also undesirable because of the noise.

On a positive side, the room included a nice breakfast, and there was a computer with free internet access. Also, I liked the price of this hotel compared to some of the other hotels in town that were much more expensive. This is an expensive town, and this hotel seemed like one of the cheaper options.

Since this is the only time I’ve been to Aguas Calientes, and this is the only hotel I’ve been to in this town, I can’t really compare it to the other options. However, I will say that I was not impressed with the value. Our $150 room felt more like a $70 room. The bathroom smelled moldy, and there was no closet (only a coat rack). Maybe all the hotels in this down would be a disappointment with respect to value. I don’t know.

We were a party of 3 (my wife, our son, and me), so I selected their “triple room” option, which seemed appropriate. Unfortunately, a “triple room” has three twin beds, so needless to say there was no spooning. (I made this same mistake in several hotels around Peru.) I’m not sure how to book a room with two double beds. I was concerned that a “double room” would be for two people, either with one double bed or two twin beds. The hotel clerks at other hotels said I should have asked for a “matrimonial bed”, but that wasn’t one of the options on the website. So, I really don’t know.

I guess that’s an advantage of using a tour company. I used Peru For Less for many of my bookings on this trip, and I was very satisfied with all of their arrangements and guides. We always had the right type of beds in the hotels that were booked by the tour company.

When we arrived in Aguas Calientes, our guide met us at the train station and we set up the plan for our early trip up to Machu Picchu for the sunrise. He also helped us find our hotel, although I believe the hotel also sent someone to the train station to meet us, so that wouldn’t have been a problem anyway.

Keep in mind that there seem to be two hotels with almost the same name. There is the “Inti Punku Inn”, and the “Inti Punku Machu Picchu”. Obviously, this review is about the latter. The former is closer to the river (and farther from the noise of the train station), but that’s all I know about it.

Anyway, with respect to other hotels in Aguas Calientes, in hindsight I wish I had picked one over on the other side of the river. The streets “Av. Pachacutec” and “Av. Hermanos Ayar” seemed to be the better locations. That area had the nicer shops and restaurants.

The most expensive option appeared to be the Sanctuary Lodge, which is actually up by the ruins. Personally, I wouldn’t want to stay there, even if it had been in my budget, because I think it would be boring to be so far from town. I enjoyed walking around the shops and restaurants in the evening, which would be harder to do if you were all the way up by the ruins.

Another thing to do in the evening is the hot springs (which is where the town got its name). They are a short walk up the river. Well, let me clarify. There are two rivers. One is next to the town, and the other runs through the town. Walk up the river that runs through the town, and the hot springs are at the end of the sidewalk. You can rent bathing suits, towels, and thongs at the shops by the entrance.

For dinner, we asked our guide for a recommendation of a good restaurant that served guinea pig. He recommended the Inca Wasi, and we weren’t disappointed. Eating the guinea pig was a fun experience. Eat it with your hands (not knife and fork) because of the small bones.

Another tip: We got the Sanctuary Lodge buffet lunch bundled into our tour package. I cannot recommend this buffet. The food was not very good, and it was very expensive. I think it would be better to eat at the snack bar across the courtyard. The food looked fine, and it would have saved us a lot of money.

The bus stop for catching the bus up to Machu Picchu was about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. It’s close to where the river that runs through town meets the other river. So, just walk down-stream and go with the flow. In the early morning, you can’t miss it. Just follow everyone else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jim_and_Barbie

Travelers are raving about these Aguas Calientes hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Unfortunately this hotel is located too close from the noisy train station, and our room was just facing the station with poor accoustic insulation (Large glass windows). The noise just killed the grading, because this hotel would otherwise have a better rating (Nice rooms, excellent bed, good shower, intersting location, acceptable prices,...).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel66303506
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We spent one night in Aguascalientes during our tour of Machu Pichu. The luggage pick up at the train station was great. Since we didn't have to carry our bags to the hotel ourselves. Like another review pointed out, we went to the hotel in the main drag of this very small city---ratio of tourist to locals is probably 10-1--only to learn that we were staying in the other property. Our room was on the third floor and it had not elevator. Room was very basic, but the hotel staff more than made up for it. I was horribly sick that night and in the morning when I told one of the servers what I had he came with Anis tea and made a thermos of coca tea for me to sip all day. The hotel is across from the train station. The market nearby is a great place to get gifts for friends. Things are very basic in Aguascalientes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MTM61
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I paid over $100 to stay one night in this hotel, and it was an unpleasant experience. The lobby is nice, but once you get to your room you realize it´s a complete dump. The carpet was dirty, we had a large moth on our pillow, the paint was peeling, and the doorknob to the bathroom was falling off. We had no hot water when we wanted to take showers. The receptionist told us to let it run for 10 minutes to heat it up, but after 15, still no hot water. They checked the heater and we did get warm water for a while, but the next morning, it was gone.
OH, and the bed. It was the WORST. The mattress was so hard it was like lying on a board with a sheet over it(the sheet was full of pills and scratchy against our skin), so we had to ask for extra blankets to pad the mattress. It was no better than a hostel, but 5 times the price. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ToryS710
pierecusco, Director Comercial at Inti Punku Macchu Picchu Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Apparently you is qualifying the other hotel "INTI PUNKU INN" and not the hotel "Inti Punku Machupicchu", please check your hotel confirmation to continue with your comments or otherwise remove it please.
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We recently booked two roooms for three nights in June 2012.

We were met at the train station by a hotel representative. Unfortunately, instead of taking us to the Inti Punku Machu Picchu, the representative, without telling us, took our party to their sister hotel, the Inti Punku Inn.

The Inki Punku Inn is a dump—one step above (or below according to some in our party) a youth hostel. For most of the day the hotel had no power and no hot water. When the power did come back on, we discovered that the only lamp in the room had a major electrical short in its wiring (scary!)

With little choice, we spent the first night in the hotel and woke up the following morning at 4:30 am in order to go up to Machu Picchu for the sunrise. Unfortunately, as we were getting a quick breakfast the hotel staff informed us that they had over booked the hotel and would have to immediately move us to another hotel. They didn’t give us a choice about moving and weren't particularly nice about it, but I figured any other hotel had to be better then where we were staying.

At 5:00 am we packed our bags and carried they over to the new hotel. One we got there and realized that they had taken us to the original hotel we booked, the Inti Punku Machu Picchu. We ended up spending two nights at the Inti Punky Machu Picchu. This was a much nicer hotel than the Inn but was located right next to the train station so we had to deal with a lot of exhaust from the locomotive engins.

That said, I pointed out to the hotel staff that they had put us in the wrong hotel and that the Inti Punku Inn rates were $40 less per night than the Inti Punku Machu Picchu. I asked for a refund of the difference but the hotel staff refused to entertain this request.

By the way, the move to the new hotel took over an hour so we missed sunrise at Machu Picchu.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Unfortunately I think you made ​​your reservation through Pacarama.com, the problem is that the website that is alien to our confirmed without consultation and by that time we had no space and did all the ways you have to stay all night, and if it was not discounted because the rates we charge very differentiated, but we offer full refund that night in a Suite on my return to Peru in the main hotel. Anyway you are calling the "Inti Punku Machupicchu" and not the "Inti Punku INN", Thank you for booking with us.
Idaho
Reviewed June 14, 2012

When we got to the hotel we weren't registered but the staff was very nice & said there were two hotels--one was more of a hostel. They graciously took our bags & got us to the other Inti Punku. It wasn't a Hilton or Marriott but clean with comfortable beds & hot water shower. The only downfall was it being right by the train so was a bit noisy. The complimentary breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.