TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Ranked #25 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
Dublin
“Enjoyable Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Myself (white Irish female in 30s) & my partner (black Nigerian male in 40s) stayed at House J Suites twice on our recent trip to Lagos for a total of 4 nights. It was my first time in Nigeria & my partner was worried about security but the hotel was very safe & secure. We paid for the hotel pick up & an armed guard was in the car on both occasions. I had no problem sleeping in this hotel. The pillows are light & felt clean. I brought my own pillow cases & this was the only hotel I didn't feel the need to use them. The restaurant is beautiful. The food is very expensive (as with all hotels) but there is a restaurant across the road, KFC is near by & also a fixed price supermarket a 5 minute walk away which we only discovered on our last day (they sell scoops of icecream upstairs!). We were able to use the swimming pool at the sister hotel, Hotel J, across the road and the pool area was lovely with very nice furniture. Our first room was huge with the biggest bathroom I've ever seen and a jacuzzi bath, but this was just a tease as there was no bath plug so we couldn't use it. Our second room when we returned at the end of our trip wasn't to our liking but they changed us to a nicer room with no problem. There is a small seating area outside where we drank our beers at night & listened to music. We decided to go to the night club across the road on our last night & paid a ridiculous amount of money in only to discover it's a lap dancing club!! So be warned. We had asked many people in advance about the club & nobody mentioned this to us which is strange but we were able to laugh it off as a learning experience. I really love the grey colour scheme of this hotel, it's very classy. The rooms seem expensive but we walked around other hotels in the area to compare prices & all were a good bit more expensive so I would stay in House J Suites again. The hotel has aromatic oil diffusers in the corridors which is a nice touch. For anyone who hasn't been to Nigeria before, when they say that breakfast is included in the room rate they only mean for 1 person. I've travelled to many countries & this was my first time to encounter this but we stayed in other hotels across Nigeria & all only include 1 breakfast, 1 towel, etc. even if you're a couple. It would be useful to state this on the advertised prices so guests are aware of this to avoid any confusion. Breakfast was a choice of eggs or eggs! Seems to be a Nigerian thing too. The menu advertised a glass of wine which I ordered & was told they only sell by the bottle; again this appears to be a Nigerian thing but it would make sense to only have a bottle on the menu & delete the glass option. Electricity was always very quick to return in this hotel & staff were nice & friendly but not overpowering. Overall, a very pleasurable experience & we will definitely stay here again if in Lagos.

Room Tip: The second time we stayed here we didn't like the room & the recepionist was accommodating i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rdcbar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have been at the House J a number of times, and the experience these past weekend got me mesmerised yet again. Where do I start from!

I still think House J remains some little kept secret...Its on / off a major road in the GRA area of Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria, but quite and effortlessly easy to locate. The security right from the gate is second to none, even though packing while inside can be challenging, and sometimes, you might need a rejuvenation of your driving skill and dexterity. But that's no big deal. The receptionists are highly professional and friendly, simply the type you do not usually come across, and easily in most of these sort of establishment easily. As a matter of fact, they go over the top to attend to you, and frankly speaking, you will be needing to do some microscopic search to find a fault. They are such a blessing to the organisation. A lodger has to be careful not to go over the top tipping them. You just have to appreciate them immensely.

I have always been a firm believer in the fact that anything good should not be "el-cheapo", but you do not have to break the bank to enjoy the facilities here. You start being welcomed into your room with a sprawling bed ladden with some mesmerising sight of white Egyptian bed covers / sheets. Every facility in the room works as expected. White the extractor was noisy, it wasn't much of a big deal in the least. The food wasn't that great but OK. Room services were prompt.

All in all, it's a place to be .

Room Tip: Ask for room on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was my second time to stay at House J in Ikeja, and I have to say that it seemed shabbier than what I remember a year ago. Location and security are good (as others mentioned), the complimentary breakfast is quite limited in choice, and internet seemed spotty (I could only access it in the restaurant). Nice pool at the rear and friendly staff. The dinner menu is also quite good. The road was under construction a year ago, and still is . . . so walking in the area is not very pleasant, although a trip to the nearby "Oh La La" is mandatory, for their great, homemade ice cream. For a solid "Nigerian" meal, check out "the Place", about a five minute walk. offering a broad range of very affordable dishes in a cafeteria style environment. Despite some negative comments, I likely will stay here again as it is preferable to the very over-priced alternatives.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rothar-gorm
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

First time I slept here, the duvet felt like butter, I love any hotel that make me forget my own home for a minute. Very good decor in and outside the hotel. The food is great and service is wonderful. In a very good enviroment too

Room Tip: There is a particular room with the sexiest bathroom ever, it has a see thru wall glass if you know...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tayo A
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

House J is one of several guesthouses that have sprung up in the Ikeja area near Lagos airport catering mainly for expat guests and wealthy Nigerians. It trades on easy access to the airport (true) and good security (true). However, the overall experience is very average, especially given the high prices (over $ 200 / night). My room was reasonably furnished, but had a mouldy smell and had not been cleaned well. The bathroom ony contained a shower which operated with minimal water pressure. Will I return? Probably not.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank BibendumCT
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Paid about $208 for diplomatic room, which is a standard room by all accounts. Lovely decor, art work. Good food, snapper a bit dry but fantastic potatoes, yes, potatoes.
Weird that bathroom doorI is see through and would prefer a shower curtain rather than those half glass doors. Found shower is annoying, sprayed u direct on the face or the floor!
Ok breakfast, had tons of fruit, which was extra but otherwise std breakfast was complementary.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank AfroRastaGal
Henley on Klip, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

A very secure comfortable small hotel, I stayed in House J 2 - which has a swimming pool and a gym. (there is a HJ1 and HJ 3)

The room was very clean and very comfortable (very firm matress)

The meals and drinks were rather pricy, but the supper menu had a great range of local and European dishes - very well prepared. Be warned the local dishes are peppery! Snails and fried plantain were delicious as was the moi moi (bean quiche is the best discription I could give).

Breakfast was adequate, but without variety - and expensive.

Internet was always available - inclusive of the price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business