“Too small and quiet, and charged me twice!”

Protea Hotel Victoria Island
Ranked #8 of 134 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a small hotel on Victoria Island, but its adequate. Reception was very friendly and I was given a bottle of Guinness during check in (although I think that this was just because I’m Irish!).
My room was nice enough, the bed was comfy and the bathroom adequately clean. The hotel was very quiet during my stay. At breakfast there was only a couple of other people apart from my colleague and I. Breakfast is only ok, not a great selection and all of the cereals seemed to be stale. The small bar had a very friendly barman, who was happy to recommend a cocktail for us using some Nigerian juices. The outdoor pool is small, but it’s partially shaded which is good. The gym is very small, and not air conditioned enough.
A few days after checking out, I noticed that the hotel had put a very random charge of approx. €600 on my credit card in addition to my actual room bill. Obviously I contacted both the hotel and my bank to stop this charge and the Proteas response was that they charged my card my bill twice in error. This is not what happened as my actual bill was a different amount. They refunded the money within a few days, but it left me very suspicious of the hotel. Because of this event and the fact that the hotel is very quiet, I don’t think that I’d stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Flossykins
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at Protea Hotel Victoria Island. Since your stay in August last year we have rectified the AC in our gym, we have also improved on our breakfast selections. With regards to the comment of double payment on your credit card would you be so kind as to mail me direct on gm@proteavi.com so I can personally investigate the issue.

Regards

Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you are South African, you will feel right at home. The room was spacious, and bathroom very clean. Security is really good - gives you a good sense of comfort knowing that you are safe. The service is really excellent!! Clifford, thank you for the awesome cocktail and your wonderful sense of humour!! The food is good - don't leave without trying their Thai Green chicken curry!! I would say this hotel is better than the Federal Palace which is way more expensive.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear GUEST

Thank you for your kind review. I will inform Clifford about his cocktail and I am positive he will have one waiting for you on your next visit.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My room was very spacious and comfortable. Staff friendly and very professional. I felt secure which was important as this was my first trip to lagos. The meals were good. A really nice touch was the 'work space' in my room (a very comfortable desk and chair where i could get some work done in the evenings). Free wi fi is always a plus. Definitely a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear GUEST

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for Protea Hotel Victoria Island. Your kind comments are much appreciated and we are looking forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Nigeria.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Protea Hotel Victoria Island – Lagos, Nigeria

I loved this compact, boutique-style hotel and hope to stay there again the next time I return to Lagos. The décor is modern but inviting, the staff is friendly and helpful, the room is comfortable, the restaurant was surprisingly excellent, and everything worked including (importantly) the high speed wireless internet.

This hotel – Protea Hotel Victoria Island - is located on Victoria Island. (There is another Protea brand hotel on Victoria Island that has a slightly different full name. I visited there and it seemed quite nice – with a compelling view over a river – but I did not stay there.)

The lobby and common areas are modern and somewhat minimalistic but very tasteful. I had a couple informal meetings in an area just off the lobby and between the bar and restaurant (pretty much all open) and the space was comfortable and adequate. I wound up having and enjoying three meals at the hotel and was surprised by how excellent they were. A seafood pasta dish for dinner was particularly tasty and loaded with fresh seafood. The service in the restaurant and bar was also impressive, with Ethel and Francis demonstrating great attitudes and competence.

My room was compact (one of the regular rooms as the deluxe rooms are larger) but very nice and comfortable. This may be the cleanest hotel I have experienced in Nigeria. I slept well. The bed was comfortable and not overly firm (many Nigerian properties have beds that Americans would consider far too firm.) Although all of Lagos is busy and traffic and other noises, the soundproofing was obviously adequate to give me a quiet night’s sleep. The air conditioning worked flawlessly. The large, flat-screen satellite TV service had more channels than many Nigerian hotels and worked fine. There is also a good work desk in the room. My favorite part of the room was the lovely bathroom with a large, modern and beautiful walk-in shower.

There is a small attractive pool with nice seating (tables, chairs and loungers for sun bathing) but I did not have time to try it out.

Importantly, the wireless internet worked perfectly and was fast enough to download large documents and even watch videos (rare in Nigeria).

As with most places in Africa, the electrical power flashed off a few times but the hotel’s generators were always quick to compensate. We never went without power for even a full minute.

Security, with gates and guards, seemed to be taken seriously and appeared competent.

This is not an inexpensive hotel but costs less than Eko, Sheraton and other comparable properties while being nicer, newer and cleaner but definitely smaller.

I was particularly impressed by and pleased with the friendly service, including Elizabeth (the best!) and Lanre at the front desk. The manager, Charmaine, also spoke with me, was wonderfully friendly and informative, and obviously loves and cares about her job. I have no doubt that she, with both her operational skills and her ability to identify and train friendly and talented employees, is a major factor in why this is such a wonderful hotel.

This is an outstanding business traveler’s hotel that is comparable in quality and comfort to any quality business traveler hotel in the United States or Europe. I have stayed previously in several Lagos hotels but will return to this one on my next visit.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are larger and a little more luxuriious than the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear GUEST

It is awesome to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel and thank you very much for your feedback. This is much appreciated and I will personally inform all STAFF involved. It was only a pleasure to have met you during your stay.

We are looking forward to your next visit at Protea Hotel Victoria Island.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I found it small for a business type hotel but that is probably what gave it such a friendly atmosphere. I had to travel to work outside Lagos and it was always a pleasure and relief to return to the Protea in the evenings. Anyone who has worked in Nigeria will know what I mean.
My room was clean and comfortable. The internet was reliable and the restaurant was quite good. I felt safe staying there. I don't think there is much more I could ask from a hotel in Nigeria.

Room Tip: go for the delux room, it's worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Protea Hotel Victoria Island. We are very pleased to know that you felt safe and secure at our hotel.

We are looking forward to hosting you once again at Protea Hotel Victoria Island during your next trip to Lagos.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at the Protea VI in October 12, and whilst the staff were all very friendly and helpful the quality of the rooms was way below the star rating. Security of the rooms was poor with balcony doors that would not lock and no way of securing your privacy through the main bedroom door if a master key was used. The 'safe' was not secured in any way, so there was no point in using it. Standard of cleanliness in the bathroom was below average and the water pressure was appalling. The restaurant was tidy and comfortable, but the range of food offered was poor at all meal times. On a Sunday, when I know Lagos folk like to go out to eat, our small party were the only people in the restaurant and the food on offer looked the same as the night before. I travel around the world, on business, several times per year and my opinion is that this is a 'tired hotel' and needs investment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisDevon_UK
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Protea Hotel Victoria Island for two nights during a business trip to Lagos. I found all staff at the hotel to be exceptionally helpful. My room was large, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was quite nice, with a separate bathtub and shower. The bathroom was far better than many bathrooms I have encountered in hotels in Lagos and Abuja. I would certainly stay here on future visits to Lagos.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business