“Best Budget Hotel I have stayed in.”
Review of Ibis Lagos Ikeja

Ibis Lagos Ikeja
Ranked #39 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Prior to arriving at this Ibis, I read a few negative reviews and was worried about the experience I was about to have. What I think people have failed to understand is that, this is a budget hotel and never claimed to be a 5 Star hotel. I think these guesst are just being unfair and very picky!
I had stayed for 5 nights and had a very good experience, the hotel was clean, the staff were very pleasant and welcoming, the food was very good and there was a good variety. And the pool, yes an Ibis with a pool! was very nice and it got a very good use from me. The only reason I have not giving it my full rating is becaue it is very pricy for a budget hotel. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Eb A
Solange B, General Manager at Ibis Lagos Ikeja, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear M. EBA,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Lagos Ikeja. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Regarding our rating, we fixed the rate according to the cost of life in our environment. But we are open to make the discount according to the length of stay of the guest.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I’ve never stayed at an Ibis before and I’m not sure I will be hurrying back to this chain.

I’d chosen this hotel for an overnight stay in Lagos, on my way out of Nigeria, because of its proximity to the airport. (It’s about 20mins by car if there’s no traffic, which in Lagos is a huge plus). However, from check-in, I began to wonder if I’d made a mistake. The hotel is on a busy road, but that’s not a problem. The reception is clean, new and nicely put-together – (I think the hotel has only recently opened). However, the check-in staff was distracted and slightly stand-offish. I asked for help with my luggage – 2 heavy suitcases and hand luggage - and was pointed to a trolley and left to sort myself out. They said they didn’t offer porter services. I’m assuming this is because it’s supposed to be a no-frills hotel? However, for 29,500 Naira a night (around £107), which is expensive for Nigeria, I don’t think that quite washes.

I was given my key card and then stood in the lift like a lemon, pressing the call button and wondering why the doors kept opening and closing but the lift didn’t move until a kind man (another guest) came over to tell me that I needed to swipe my key card against a reader to activate the lift. A sensible security precaution no doubt, but surely something the check-in staff ought to have mentioned?

When I finally manoeuvred the trolley to my room, I got another surprise - the room was tiny! Granted it was clean and new but after I’d set down my suitcases, there was very little floor space left. The bathroom was fine, with a large shower cubicle, (no bath) and good water pressure. You only get one towel – apparently because I was a single guest! Tea and coffee are provided, albeit in very mean portions - 1 tea bag, 1 coffee sachet and 1 evaporated milk sachet. No spoon or stirrer so I used my fingers to squeeze the tea bag. No pen or paper or other stationery in the room either. They certainly took the no frills concept to ridiculous levels. There is Wi-Fi, although this is patchy.

The bed was comfy- good pillows and I slept well. A buffet breakfast was included in my room rate and I thought the breakfast choice was fine. There are Nigerian options like fried plantain and yam, but also scrambled and boiled eggs, frankfurters, baked beans, fruit platters etc. Also bread, cereals and cheeses and a variety of teas, juices and coffee. I was happy with the breakfast to be fair. Check-out was slow and the girl tried to get away with not giving me my change. I refused to leave it, not because it was a large amount of money, but on principle given their lacklustre service and unwillingness to go the extra mile for their guests.

Overall, if you need somewhere clean and decent for an overnight stay or even a couple of days, and are not too worried about comfort or customer service, this is fine. However, they need to train their staff better and the price needs to come down. It’s far too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear M. IFE,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed some of our services like our breakfast, our bed , and amenities in the room.

We apologize about some inconvenience you met during your stay. We have taken note of your comment about the porter, but would wish to inform you that we are a budget hotel, and not offer this service. But exceptionnally, when a guest have a lot of luggage, we help him to carry the luggage in the room.

Regarding your comment about the room size, we would wish to inform you that this is in line with the Ibis hotel brand standard all over the world and we are sorry to hear that this is not to your perfect liking.

We thank you for your feed back and we look forward to seeing you again for a much better experience.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was using this Ibis property in lagos for the first time and was pleasantly excited. Its quite bustling and hectic outside, but once you drive in through the gates, you breathe an air of difference. First excitement: the secured underground parking space. The rooms are small but neat. There's wide variety of local food, which is quite okay..and the staff were exceptionally nice. However, one of the staff got my food bill, collected the money and never returned the change. I traced her out, and she pretended to have forgotten, then promised to get back to me..but never did. Ironically, I really appreciated her service and would have given her more than she took.
Checkout was quick. Overall, It was a nice stay.

Room Tip: If you're looking to open your window and feel the natural air, you'll be disappointed. Its...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear M. Joustar,

We are happy to hear that you had a lovely time in our hotel.

Regarding the problem you had with change, we apologize about that and will strive to ensure that no customer is no longer victim of this kind of behavior.

We thank you for your positive feedback which will serve as an encouragement for us to continue to give our guest a very good service.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Location is not bad at about 15 minutes if the traffic is not heavy. There was a pick up from the airport which worked well

On check in I needed to pay the full amount in dollars because their credit card machine in Naira did not work. The room cost over € 100 a night for a small room (see picture). The shower did not have very hot water, but probably luke warm water is good enough. The neighborhood is not nice (see picture). The breakfast is included but not great, but the waiters are friendly.

On check-out, no refund in dollars but in Naira. They made a mistake by putting a wrong name on the invoice. They could not put my name on it because of the system. It took me over 20 minutes to find a solution to this problem. What a way to say good bye to your guests.

I will go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear M. Geerlings

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at ibis ikeja.
We are happy to know that you enjoyed the shuttle from the airport to hotel Ibis, and friendliness of the food and beverage staff.
We are very sorry for the failure of internet which avoid you to use your credit card for the payment. We were connected to the city network, which made very difficult connections. Now all our POS are connected directly to the hotel wireless network, and the quality is better.
Regarding the dimension of our Bedrooms, we respect the standards of all ibis worldwide and our rates are based on the cost of our environment.
We have improve our hot water system as well as our breakfast and our customers are very satisfied with the change.
Refund is always done in local currency, but an exception can be made ​​if the reception had foreign exchange when the guest check-out.

Once again, please accept our apology and we thank you for your feed back. We hope you will give us a second chance to correct your impression about our hotel.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Sola N
Solange B, General Manager at Ibis Lagos Ikeja, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Reviewed March 12, 2014

This Ibis is an excellent choice if you need to travel through Lagos, the free shuttle bus makes this such a great hotel and actually works out as real value for money. The rooms are small but perfectly formed with all the modern conveniences, good water pressure and constant hot water also provide an ideal experience. The rate includes buffet breakfast but the choice is not great, I asked for tomato stew cos I don't like egg stew and the kitchen obliged.

The staff are young but polite, courteous and genuinely willing to help. You have to get your suitcases to your room but that's about as bad as it gets. The pool area looks very nice and the entire hotel is quite peaceful considering the hustle and bustle outside on Toyin Street. There are lots of restaurants and shops in the area as well as lots of taxis.

For N30,000 a night inclusive of breakfast and airport pick up and drop off, this is my first choice for Lagos.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Julia O
Solange B, General Manager at Ibis Lagos Ikeja, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Julia,