“not the best”

Sheraton Lagos Hotel
Ranked #17 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed August 27, 2013

the brand sheraton evokes a certain awe and hence high expectation.but alas it was not the best of hotels.check in was inefficient but can be understood because we were a big group.it was highly expensive for the services it offered.may be because of the monopoly it holds in the area near to the airport. outlets were okay. rooms are strictly okay.breakfast was good though.pretty much old world hotel. the swimming pool was very good. staffs were very friendly but untrained.security in this part is very important and they scored well here.i was impressed when they stopped me in the porch with a food parcel brought from outside. they have a zero tolerance policy in this and thats very assuring .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Chefficiency,

Thank yob for taking time to review our hotel. It is unfortunate that we did not entirely meet the expectations other Sheraton Hotels have provided. Please send us an email on guestservice.00445@sheraton.com for an indepth knowledge on how to resolve the issues as this is one of the benefits of feedback.

Thank you so much and have apleasant day.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We only spent a night here;arrived in the night and left next morning so didn't have time to explore the hotel.But the much i saw was nice enough,which is not surprising;Sheraton is supposed to be a '5 star' hotel,right?Nice grounds,nice location and warm reception by concierge...didn't expect less..
Our room was spotless,32 inch TV,big writing desk,comfy bed,powerful AC,spotless bathroom with toiletries.I had expected a mini bar,bathrobe,slippers but there was none;in a '5 star' hotel?When we ordered dinner it arrived complete with a trolley,flowers and all,nice touch!The downside is that the menu was badly limited,very little to choose from...but when our order came,it was delicious.
All in all,Sheraton is...well,nice but overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Touristbee2013,

I am glad to hear that the majority of your stay with us was satisfactory. The guest room amenities like bathroobe, slippers etc are upon your request. We appreciate the time to post such positive comments on your stay.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The staff at this hotel are the worst. They all need to be completely retrained. The are at best civil. They are slow checking you out and slow checking you in. They have this air of disdain about them and are certainly not welcoming. Double check your bill also because things appear that you may not have signed for. The room staff are noisy and don't seem to be bothered about chatting loudly in the corridors. On every floor there is a security person but to be honest I hate leaving the room because I know that these so called security personnel have seen me leave. The water in the bathrooms runs brown which makes me feel dirty just looking at it. The rooms are dark and the floors are covered in laminate which is noisy especially from the rooms above. There was an adjoining door in my room and I was able to hear the tv in the room next door.
Food and beverages in this hotel are quite expensive but it feels safer eating in rather than venture out into the city in the dark. I think the prices reflect this. You are basically a captive.
Some positives were the air conditioning worked and the Internet worked in the room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tony R

Dear Tony R,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay did not meet your expectations. The popoularity of our frequent traveler progam (SPG) was demoostrated during your check in/check out process and we certainly apologize that you encountered this delay. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further. Please feel free to contact me on guestservice.00445@sheraton.com.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Not sure why there's so many harsh reviews here, as I found the hotel to be perfect for a short stay. I remind folks to keep things in context. The Sheraton was a sight for sore eyes after 1.5 hours spent in customs and baggage pickup at Lagos Airport.

First, I recommend using the rental car service from the Sheraton, Planet Rental, (arrange the service in advance over the phone or e-mail), they will pick you up from the airport and drive you directly to the hotel, relatively inexpensive and most importantly, SAFE. I cannot emphasize how key this service is....this was my first time to Nigeria and was traveling solo. The outside of the airport is a mob scene. Horns honking, insane traffic, tons of people wanting to offer you a ride. My driver found me after a few minutes, and, was super polite, drove well, (roadways in Nigeria are not for the faint of heart), and knew a short cut that had us avoid at least 30 minutes of traffic.

Upon arrival, all of the staff were incredibly courteous. The hotel is gated for safety, there are also guards at each floor every evening. The check-in was seamless, I was able to exchange US dollars on site, I had a room overlooking the pool (which looked very nice but I didn't have a chance to visit), and the room was clean. The bed, (after 24 hours of flights), was amazing. Super comfortable. There was a flat screen TV, fast and free Internet, AC worked fine. I arrived in time for a quick stop at the bar, (they close around 10:30 pm but room service I believe is offered later into the evening), had a hamburger and fries, were excellent. Also had coffee at the bar in the morning, the waitstaff were very accommodating--breakfast I believe is included with most if not all of the room rates, but, I didn't have time to eat in the morning before heading to my next destination.

I had looked into several hotels in and around Lagos for my trip and was pleased I went with Sheraton rather than a few hotels I passed along the way. It's a bit expensive but in my opinion, was worth every penny.

Room Tip: The hotel will exchange money for you at the front desk, exchange rate isn't too bad. Use the Pl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Tanya,

It gives us great excitement to hear you had a superb stay at our hotel. Thank you for taking time to post your review. Do make out time to visit us again as we will gladly accomodate you again and make your next stay filled with pleasant memories.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visiting on business (Lagos is not a holiday location) I was booked into this hotel.
Once upon a time this was a five star hotel but now it would struggle to hit 3 stars.
The building and rooms have seen much better days and the corridors and rooms smell of damp and wood rot, but the rooms are clean if tatty.
The best thing about the hotel are the restaurants, there are 4 restaurants to choose from in the hotel. A poolside burger bar, a local buffet, an Italian and an Indian restaurant, the Indian is particularly good. There is a sports bar if you just want a drink but this is rather small. On a Thursday and Friday night they turn a function room into a night club, this is best avoided as it is just a place for the local "working girls" to ply their trade.
The Breakfast was also a saving grace, you have to love a breakfast buffet that has a Bloody Mary station!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian G

Dear Ian G,

We are glad to read your knowledge of our facility and appreciate your comments. Fortunately, Lagos is a busy city and we are minutes away from the airport to avert stress from a tiring flight. Stay with us next time and we will make your next stay valuable and most memorable.

Thank you for your loyalty and best regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Where do I begin. Overly priced! Way too expensive for anything. The pool is over crowded. Rooms are alright. Beds have bugs. Was bitten all over. Staff SO rude. Just not a nice experience at all. Would not return, at all.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AnthChidiac

Dear AntiChidiac,

Thanks for letting us know your view on your stay. The incoveniences are regretted.
We will be glad to receive your mail on guestservice.00445@sheraton.com with your dissatisfaction details.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have to say that I was expecting a three star hotel standard at best after reading the reviews. I have to say that the reviews are a bit harsh.

I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights for business and a seminar in Lagos. The location is perfect of course in Ikeja street being close to the airport. The minute I arrived my main concern was security. The hotel looked quite secure with a good presence of security in the hotel. They have security on each floor at night as well. Perhaps my only suggestion is that the security shouldn't be sat right next to one of the rooms next to the elevator to respect the privacy of guests of this room.

The room was clean with fresh clean sheets. I think they have new TV sets more modern the ones I have seen in the pictures. The bathrooms however are still quite old fashioned and need renovation for sure, but they were clean and well maintained by room service. The water was hot and I had no problems with it at all.The air conditioning is a very old system and it was hard to adjust the room to not being freezing. However I managed to in the end when I set it on a very high temperature it seemed to be alright. It was a bit loud though.

The room had a desk where I can sit and do my work. Internet was superb, I had almost no problems with the connection. You just have to log in again after 24 hours. I didn't that was a problem. You can't complain if you have stable internet. I didn't think there was a need to upgrade to the premium internet package.

My room had a pool view. I liked the view although the hotel surroundings doesn't really help the good view with the the old tired buildings beside the hotel.

It was Ramadan(Muslims holy month), so dinner was served as an open buffet of different cuisines every night. You had the choice between either the cuisine of the night or Nigerian food. I found the variety of food quite good and I especially liked the salads. The buffet however is a bit expensive just like the hotel. Around 40 $ without drinks. I didn't get to have breakfast during my stay.

The staff was friendly overall, the receptionist was helpful however it takes a lot of time to check in most of the time. The staff were warm and friendly always greeting you and even one of them who knew my name always greeted me with my name. Nice helpful man.

I had some time to waste before dinner one day, so I tried the gym. It was clean, equipped with good machines for cardio. Only like 3 or 4 more machines and plenty of dumbells. Perhaps the only thing that is missing from this gym is a bench press . But then again you don't expect Golds gym when you stay in a hotel really, So I would say that the gym is good.I didn't have time to try the pool though.

All in all I would give this hotel a 4. With some renovation and a few small things here and there , it would comfortably climb up to international 5 stars standards. The major downsides being the very high price of the rooms, but then again all hotels in this area charge about the same. I would definitely go back there for my next business trip. I just hope it would be the same nice and pleasant stay as this one, maintaining the same consistency and hopefully improvements that would not suggest that I was just lucky not facing all the problems people were talking about.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear LouayH,

Thank you for your detailed review on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your concern on our airconditioning and overall refurbishment. Some parts of our hotel renovation has been carried out and some are yet to be done. We will continually improve our strenghts for outstanding results.

Best Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagos
Four Points by Sheraton Lagos
InterContinental Lagos
#9 of 135 in Lagos
Renaissance Lagos Ikeja Hotel
The Federal Palace Hotel

Been to Sheraton Lagos Hotel? Share your experiences!