“Comfort, Security, Proximity to Airport” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Lagos Hotel

Sheraton Lagos Hotel
Ranked #14 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
Baltimore, Maryland
“Comfort, Security, Proximity to Airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Not sure why there's so many harsh reviews here, as I found the hotel to be perfect for a short stay. I remind folks to keep things in context. The Sheraton was a sight for sore eyes after 1.5 hours spent in customs and baggage pickup at Lagos Airport.

First, I recommend using the rental car service from the Sheraton, Planet Rental, (arrange the service in advance over the phone or e-mail), they will pick you up from the airport and drive you directly to the hotel, relatively inexpensive and most importantly, SAFE. I cannot emphasize how key this service is....this was my first time to Nigeria and was traveling solo. The outside of the airport is a mob scene. Horns honking, insane traffic, tons of people wanting to offer you a ride. My driver found me after a few minutes, and, was super polite, drove well, (roadways in Nigeria are not for the faint of heart), and knew a short cut that had us avoid at least 30 minutes of traffic.

Upon arrival, all of the staff were incredibly courteous. The hotel is gated for safety, there are also guards at each floor every evening. The check-in was seamless, I was able to exchange US dollars on site, I had a room overlooking the pool (which looked very nice but I didn't have a chance to visit), and the room was clean. The bed, (after 24 hours of flights), was amazing. Super comfortable. There was a flat screen TV, fast and free Internet, AC worked fine. I arrived in time for a quick stop at the bar, (they close around 10:30 pm but room service I believe is offered later into the evening), had a hamburger and fries, were excellent. Also had coffee at the bar in the morning, the waitstaff were very accommodating--breakfast I believe is included with most if not all of the room rates, but, I didn't have time to eat in the morning before heading to my next destination.

I had looked into several hotels in and around Lagos for my trip and was pleased I went with Sheraton rather than a few hotels I passed along the way. It's a bit expensive but in my opinion, was worth every penny.

Room Tip: The hotel will exchange money for you at the front desk, exchange rate isn't too bad. Use the Pl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Tanya,

It gives us great excitement to hear you had a superb stay at our hotel. Thank you for taking time to post your review. Do make out time to visit us again as we will gladly accomodate you again and make your next stay filled with pleasant memories.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visiting on business (Lagos is not a holiday location) I was booked into this hotel.
Once upon a time this was a five star hotel but now it would struggle to hit 3 stars.
The building and rooms have seen much better days and the corridors and rooms smell of damp and wood rot, but the rooms are clean if tatty.
The best thing about the hotel are the restaurants, there are 4 restaurants to choose from in the hotel. A poolside burger bar, a local buffet, an Italian and an Indian restaurant, the Indian is particularly good. There is a sports bar if you just want a drink but this is rather small. On a Thursday and Friday night they turn a function room into a night club, this is best avoided as it is just a place for the local "working girls" to ply their trade.
The Breakfast was also a saving grace, you have to love a breakfast buffet that has a Bloody Mary station!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ian G
Dear Ian G,

We are glad to read your knowledge of our facility and appreciate your comments. Fortunately, Lagos is a busy city and we are minutes away from the airport to avert stress from a tiring flight. Stay with us next time and we will make your next stay valuable and most memorable.

Thank you for your loyalty and best regards,

Travelers are raving about these Lagos hotels

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Where do I begin. Overly priced! Way too expensive for anything. The pool is over crowded. Rooms are alright. Beds have bugs. Was bitten all over. Staff SO rude. Just not a nice experience at all. Would not return, at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AnthChidiac
Dear AntiChidiac,

Thanks for letting us know your view on your stay. The incoveniences are regretted.
We will be glad to receive your mail on guestservice.00445@sheraton.com with your dissatisfaction details.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have to say that I was expecting a three star hotel standard at best after reading the reviews. I have to say that the reviews are a bit harsh.

I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights for business and a seminar in Lagos. The location is perfect of course in Ikeja street being close to the airport. The minute I arrived my main concern was security. The hotel looked quite secure with a good presence of security in the hotel. They have security on each floor at night as well. Perhaps my only suggestion is that the security shouldn't be sat right next to one of the rooms next to the elevator to respect the privacy of guests of this room.

The room was clean with fresh clean sheets. I think they have new TV sets more modern the ones I have seen in the pictures. The bathrooms however are still quite old fashioned and need renovation for sure, but they were clean and well maintained by room service. The water was hot and I had no problems with it at all.The air conditioning is a very old system and it was hard to adjust the room to not being freezing. However I managed to in the end when I set it on a very high temperature it seemed to be alright. It was a bit loud though.

The room had a desk where I can sit and do my work. Internet was superb, I had almost no problems with the connection. You just have to log in again after 24 hours. I didn't that was a problem. You can't complain if you have stable internet. I didn't think there was a need to upgrade to the premium internet package.

My room had a pool view. I liked the view although the hotel surroundings doesn't really help the good view with the the old tired buildings beside the hotel.

It was Ramadan(Muslims holy month), so dinner was served as an open buffet of different cuisines every night. You had the choice between either the cuisine of the night or Nigerian food. I found the variety of food quite good and I especially liked the salads. The buffet however is a bit expensive just like the hotel. Around 40 $ without drinks. I didn't get to have breakfast during my stay.

The staff was friendly overall, the receptionist was helpful however it takes a lot of time to check in most of the time. The staff were warm and friendly always greeting you and even one of them who knew my name always greeted me with my name. Nice helpful man.

I had some time to waste before dinner one day, so I tried the gym. It was clean, equipped with good machines for cardio. Only like 3 or 4 more machines and plenty of dumbells. Perhaps the only thing that is missing from this gym is a bench press . But then again you don't expect Golds gym when you stay in a hotel really, So I would say that the gym is good.I didn't have time to try the pool though.

All in all I would give this hotel a 4. With some renovation and a few small things here and there , it would comfortably climb up to international 5 stars standards. The major downsides being the very high price of the rooms, but then again all hotels in this area charge about the same. I would definitely go back there for my next business trip. I just hope it would be the same nice and pleasant stay as this one, maintaining the same consistency and hopefully improvements that would not suggest that I was just lucky not facing all the problems people were talking about.

Dear LouayH,

Thank you for your detailed review on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your concern on our airconditioning and overall refurbishment. Some parts of our hotel renovation has been carried out and some are yet to be done. We will continually improve our strenghts for outstanding results.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff are rude and lazy. The price for food and drinks is way out of proportion considering the quality and service. $25 for a gin and tonic, for example. Lousy hotel. Seriously...stay somewhere else.

2 Thank TBone_Rock_65
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear TBone_Rock_65,

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would love the chance to speak with you about your stay – please feel free contact me anytime at guestservice.00445@sheraton.com.

Thanks and best regards,
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My regular hotels in lagos are on Victoria Island but due to meetings near the airport I chose the Sheraton for a 1 night stay. I was pleasantly surprised in the standard of the room (the bathroom was dated), it was modern, clean and comfortable with all the necessary amenities. I did not spend any time in any of the hotels facilities, bars or restaurants but the overall feel was good, staying there again would certainly be an option but the rates do cause a lump in the throat, even knowing the average prices in Lagos. Overall not a bad property and a good choice if you are in the Ikeja / airport area.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Mr ZAguyghana,

We appreciate you for commenting on your stay at our hotel although you felt it was pricey but was worth the cost as we meet your expectations. We urge you to visit our restaurants for tasty meals with varieties when next you at our hotel and our modern facilities as well.

Thank you so much and have a great day.

Accra, Ghana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Ten years ago I spent my very first night in Nigeria at the Sheraton and have been coming back on and off ever since. Back then it was truly dreadful – grottty rooms, arrogant staff and high prices. Since then the competition has increased. The high prices remain, but they are trying to improve service (reception staff were almost obsequious) and the room I stayed in was bright, clean and comfortable with a good (free!) wifi connection.

A nice touch in the breakfast buffet was the bloody Mary station – tomato juice, Smirnoff vodka and Tobasco sauce – cool.

If they delay renovations of the lobby area for a few more years, it will become retro chic and will be admired the world over.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for one of the renovated rooms.
Dear Mr Grassy W,

Thanks for writing about your stay at the hotel. We are glad to have you back and good to know you liked the improvement. More changes will be effected in the nearest future. Wishing you a pleasant day and look forward to having you at our hotel soonest.

Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagos
Four Points by Sheraton Lagos
#10 of 131 in Lagos
Eko Hotels & Suites
Eko Hotels & Suites
#16 of 131 in Lagos

Been to Sheraton Lagos Hotel? Share your experiences!