“A hotel way past its best before date.”

Sheraton Lagos Hotel
Ranked #16 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visiting on business (Lagos is not a holiday location) I was booked into this hotel.
Once upon a time this was a five star hotel but now it would struggle to hit 3 stars.
The building and rooms have seen much better days and the corridors and rooms smell of damp and wood rot, but the rooms are clean if tatty.
The best thing about the hotel are the restaurants, there are 4 restaurants to choose from in the hotel. A poolside burger bar, a local buffet, an Italian and an Indian restaurant, the Indian is particularly good. There is a sports bar if you just want a drink but this is rather small. On a Thursday and Friday night they turn a function room into a night club, this is best avoided as it is just a place for the local "working girls" to ply their trade.
The Breakfast was also a saving grace, you have to love a breakfast buffet that has a Bloody Mary station!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian G
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Ian G,

We are glad to read your knowledge of our facility and appreciate your comments. Fortunately, Lagos is a busy city and we are minutes away from the airport to avert stress from a tiring flight. Stay with us next time and we will make your next stay valuable and most memorable.

Thank you for your loyalty and best regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Where do I begin. Overly priced! Way too expensive for anything. The pool is over crowded. Rooms are alright. Beds have bugs. Was bitten all over. Staff SO rude. Just not a nice experience at all. Would not return, at all.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AnthChidiac

Dear AntiChidiac,

Thanks for letting us know your view on your stay. The incoveniences are regretted.
We will be glad to receive your mail on guestservice.00445@sheraton.com with your dissatisfaction details.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have to say that I was expecting a three star hotel standard at best after reading the reviews. I have to say that the reviews are a bit harsh.

I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights for business and a seminar in Lagos. The location is perfect of course in Ikeja street being close to the airport. The minute I arrived my main concern was security. The hotel looked quite secure with a good presence of security in the hotel. They have security on each floor at night as well. Perhaps my only suggestion is that the security shouldn't be sat right next to one of the rooms next to the elevator to respect the privacy of guests of this room.

The room was clean with fresh clean sheets. I think they have new TV sets more modern the ones I have seen in the pictures. The bathrooms however are still quite old fashioned and need renovation for sure, but they were clean and well maintained by room service. The water was hot and I had no problems with it at all.The air conditioning is a very old system and it was hard to adjust the room to not being freezing. However I managed to in the end when I set it on a very high temperature it seemed to be alright. It was a bit loud though.

The room had a desk where I can sit and do my work. Internet was superb, I had almost no problems with the connection. You just have to log in again after 24 hours. I didn't that was a problem. You can't complain if you have stable internet. I didn't think there was a need to upgrade to the premium internet package.

My room had a pool view. I liked the view although the hotel surroundings doesn't really help the good view with the the old tired buildings beside the hotel.

It was Ramadan(Muslims holy month), so dinner was served as an open buffet of different cuisines every night. You had the choice between either the cuisine of the night or Nigerian food. I found the variety of food quite good and I especially liked the salads. The buffet however is a bit expensive just like the hotel. Around 40 $ without drinks. I didn't get to have breakfast during my stay.

The staff was friendly overall, the receptionist was helpful however it takes a lot of time to check in most of the time. The staff were warm and friendly always greeting you and even one of them who knew my name always greeted me with my name. Nice helpful man.

I had some time to waste before dinner one day, so I tried the gym. It was clean, equipped with good machines for cardio. Only like 3 or 4 more machines and plenty of dumbells. Perhaps the only thing that is missing from this gym is a bench press . But then again you don't expect Golds gym when you stay in a hotel really, So I would say that the gym is good.I didn't have time to try the pool though.

All in all I would give this hotel a 4. With some renovation and a few small things here and there , it would comfortably climb up to international 5 stars standards. The major downsides being the very high price of the rooms, but then again all hotels in this area charge about the same. I would definitely go back there for my next business trip. I just hope it would be the same nice and pleasant stay as this one, maintaining the same consistency and hopefully improvements that would not suggest that I was just lucky not facing all the problems people were talking about.

Dear LouayH,

Thank you for your detailed review on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your concern on our airconditioning and overall refurbishment. Some parts of our hotel renovation has been carried out and some are yet to be done. We will continually improve our strenghts for outstanding results.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff are rude and lazy. The price for food and drinks is way out of proportion considering the quality and service. $25 for a gin and tonic, for example. Lousy hotel. Seriously...stay somewhere else.

2  Thank TBone_Rock_65
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear TBone_Rock_65,

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would love the chance to speak with you about your stay – please feel free contact me anytime at guestservice.00445@sheraton.com.

Thanks and best regards,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My regular hotels in lagos are on Victoria Island but due to meetings near the airport I chose the Sheraton for a 1 night stay. I was pleasantly surprised in the standard of the room (the bathroom was dated), it was modern, clean and comfortable with all the necessary amenities. I did not spend any time in any of the hotels facilities, bars or restaurants but the overall feel was good, staying there again would certainly be an option but the rates do cause a lump in the throat, even knowing the average prices in Lagos. Overall not a bad property and a good choice if you are in the Ikeja / airport area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Mr ZAguyghana,

We appreciate you for commenting on your stay at our hotel although you felt it was pricey but was worth the cost as we meet your expectations. We urge you to visit our restaurants for tasty meals with varieties when next you at our hotel and our modern facilities as well.

Thank you so much and have a great day.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Ten years ago I spent my very first night in Nigeria at the Sheraton and have been coming back on and off ever since. Back then it was truly dreadful – grottty rooms, arrogant staff and high prices. Since then the competition has increased. The high prices remain, but they are trying to improve service (reception staff were almost obsequious) and the room I stayed in was bright, clean and comfortable with a good (free!) wifi connection.

A nice touch in the breakfast buffet was the bloody Mary station – tomato juice, Smirnoff vodka and Tobasco sauce – cool.

If they delay renovations of the lobby area for a few more years, it will become retro chic and will be admired the world over.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for one of the renovated rooms.

Dear Mr Grassy W,

Thanks for writing about your stay at the hotel. We are glad to have you back and good to know you liked the improvement. More changes will be effected in the nearest future. Wishing you a pleasant day and look forward to having you at our hotel soonest.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Allow yourselves to read my other reviews to understand my honesty of my ratings. This hotel is one of the worst I have had to stay in. Starting with the customer service level, I refuse to say skill as this is non existent with the staff at the this hotel. I performance manage everyday with my role and I can tell you now, the majority of the staff would be sacked! I would like to introduce the waitress outside who hissed at me when I asked for beer politely, I was embraced upon the atmosphere of American flight crew tinkering with Nigerian prostitutes. The beer at the bar was poured from the bottle into the glass and the half full bottle sold to the next punter, disgrace. The food was however lovely but served with the most outrageous approach I have ever observed, quote "you must sit here now! You cannot eat there, OK, sssssssss!" If it wasn't for my company that paid for my stay then I would of embarked on a wonderful mission of receiving a full refund and destroying my SPG points card. This hotel is a disgrace to the SPG name and brand. Continuing to my favourite the room, I entered a damp and disgusting environment that physically made me throw up; 'twas either that or the pool water. There was no free wifi, the toilet had human steins still inside and the tiles dirty with mould. Check out was a pleasure and as you can imagine the service level of the staff continued, if was a pleasure to see the airport and fly home to a more relaxing environment.

Dear future customers or viewers I am sorry to have to go to this dramatic level, please feel free to disregard this review, if you do choose to stay don't hesitate to ask more questions, I will answer all I can.

Dear Manager and Staff, I hope you have had the time to read through my comments, also with my direct complaint I left with a manager at the hotel, I hope you act upon these reviews, you are working for such a lovely company and you are ambassadors or the Sheraton Group. You have let me down.

I Highly disregard Recommendation of this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Stewpot1776
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Mr Stewpot1776,

Thank you for your comments! We would appreciate if you could contact us under bcguest.00445@sheraton.com, the Management will response immediately.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagos
Four Points by Sheraton Lagos
InterContinental Lagos
#10 of 135 in Lagos
Renaissance Lagos Ikeja Hotel
The Federal Palace Hotel

Been to Sheraton Lagos Hotel? Share your experiences!