“What a Dump!”

Sheraton Lagos Hotel
Ranked #16 of 134 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a couple of years back and was not impressed. Recently returned with work and my company had paid for the room. Who is managing this hotel? How dare the Sheraton group put their name to it! All the public areas I encountered were dated and grubby. My room had a layer of dust over the furniture. The bathroom was shocking. Chipped tiles on the floor and walls. Stains on the floor tiles that I dread to think what they were. The water was brown even after the shower was left to run for ten minutes. (See photo). Extremely overpriced food and drink menu. The Italian cafe served something that resembled a pizza but left me with stomach cramps and frequent visits to the toilet! The bar was lively as I think a few airline crews stay here. On checking out I heard a woman complaining about being bitten by bedbugs! To sum up I found this to be a hellhole and hope I never ever have to return. It's beyond belief that a hotel of this standard bearing the Sheraton name even exists. A DISGRACE!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank EdinburghGraemekidd
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear EdinburghGraemekidd,

As it relates to all concerns noted by you, we do apologize if you feel your experience was not reflective of a Sheraton.
We regret that your impression of the hotel was not positive, thus spiraling other concerns. I am sorry not to have had the opportunity to meet with you in order to address these issues during your stay. Feel free to contact us at: bcguest.00445@sheraton.com.

With kind regards.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

No electricity meant we had to climb the stairs to the 5th floor for 3 days!!! Not to mention that the AC was out most of the time!!! I was charged for devices I didn't receive and when asked for the manager, no one showed up for 30 min and I had to catch a flight!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank The_Egyptian_Couple
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Egyptian_Couple,

We apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay due to the fluctuating electricity. All has been resolved. We hope to make your next stay more comfortable when next you visit us. Thank you so much and best regards,

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is not too far from the airport which is good as Lagos traffic can be a real pain, which is its only real plus point. It is extremely expensive, for what you get - an old room which was none too clean. The common parts were similarly outdated. The area by the pool is not too bad. There are a number of restaurants and the food is ok - pricey but ok.

Checking in and out took much longer than it should have done. When I tried to check out I was sent upstairs to the "club" level as the main reception desk was in total chaos. Despite being the only customer on the club level it took 30 mins to check out - mostly because the guy behind the desk kept answering the phone and did not seem to know what he was doing.

On check in it took the clerk three goes to get my key to work each necessitating a trip to the room to find that the key would not work followed by a return to the front desk.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mrbiffo

Dear Mrbiffo,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay as we apologise for the discomfort you experienced during your stay with us. We recently had a down time on electricity which might have caused re-programming your electronic key severally. We are fully back to normal and we hope to make your next stay more stress-free. Thanks a lot and have a great day.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel is just filthy dirty , it is tired and old fashioned ....its a shame as the basics are all in place its just need some care..the in room air conditioning is almost none existant and in reception its just not working at all, the room service is expensive but the pizzas are worth a try even at around £18...the staff are friendly and are the reason this hotel didnt get bottom marks..would i recommend it NO

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Ian h,

How are you today? Thanks a lot for commenting about us, we sincerely apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay as we are currently planning a renovation. We are glad our staffs were able to help you relax during your stay and we hope to make it more relaxing when next you return.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have visited Lagos many times in the past and I guess, it is what it is but this should not reduce the standards for a hotel paid with beyond 500$ per night. The room I have staid in was fairly old and outworn. TV sets where spare parts would have to be purchased in a Museum and furniture not worth the name. However there is quite some choice on restaurants, namely 3 different ones, which offer fairly decent choice of meals of medium upper quality. The British Pub in the lobby is the meeting point of most expats stationed here from different industries. The staff is very friendly but as friendly they are as inefficient they seem at times. The hotel seems to be just to old and does not deserve the brand or the 5 stars on the label at the entrance. Fridays is "Nigerian Night" at the pool bar which constitutes out of free Nigerian snacks and a life band which can truly compete with any airport runway as far as the volume is concerned, which again is probably based purely on equipment not suitable for a major venture. However the party is enjoyed by mostly locals but also expats as to the limited options in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms recently renovated. I have not seen them but heard of them.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mr C130Captain,

Thank you for taking time to comment about your recent stay at our hotel, we apologise for the discomfort you experienced during your stay as we are currently planning renovation which will soon result in a face-lift, We are glad you find our meals decent and we will maintain the training for our associates for a more efficient service. We hope to help you make your next stay more comfortable.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I checked into the Sheraton Lagos expecting ti to be up to the standards of other Sheraton hotels around the world - Big mistake

I checked in was shown to my room and from here on in i got really bad

The crtains had black mold all over the side that faces the window. I pulled back the bed covers to reveal someone elses "entertainment stains" on the side ofthe bed sheets and bed valance. Truly,truly, disgusting !!!

The room was also covered in a layer of dust that clearly demonstrated that the room had not been cleaned for quite a while .It had obviously been used for "entertainment " though !

I showed the room to one of the receptionists on the business level who was as shocked as I was at the unexpected welcome gifts I had found in my bedroom and she tried to find me a room , away from the business floor , on the 4th floor as the rooms there have been renovated -but there were none . I was then given another room on the same floor which while lacking the previous occupants residue ,was still dusty with air conditioning that worked intermittently.

Do not be misguided this is not an average Sheraton - it is well below any other.

Also the business center is slightly under equipped, to say the least, and lacks the ability to even meet the most basic of business requests in todays technologically led world.

The staff are lovely but, without the tools to deliver a good job their jobs are made more difficult than they already are.

Room Tip: Seems as though the rooms on the 4th floor have been renovated
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Jay B,

We appreciate you for taking time to comment, We regret the impression you have about us as we have personally resolved this issue and we sincerely apologize for the incoveniences.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I used to stay here when we lived with my dad in lagos. they did lovely club sandwiches and coca cola in glass bottles. very good pool and sun loungers. the service was very good and the staff were family friendly

• Stayed: March 2012
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Pippasaunders31,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at the hotel, We have constantly maintain the standards we have over the years even though the hotel needs a face lift which will soon be renovated, we are glad to hear you find it very appealing as our associates, service culture, and quality makes all the diiference. We hope you stop by soon for another relaxing stay with us as we look forward to receiving you here where you belong.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagos
Four Points by Sheraton Lagos
Radisson Blu Anchorage Hotel, Lagos
The Wheatbaker
The Wheatbaker
#1 of 134 in Lagos

Been to Sheraton Lagos Hotel? Share your experiences!