“loads of room for improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Lagos

InterContinental Lagos
Ranked #10 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
London, United Kingdom
“loads of room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

As a loyal member of the iHG chain as well as an Ambassador, i was quite excited we finally had an outlet in Nigeria.
Upon arriving I was unable to get the Ambassador upgrade, I was offered breakfast or points instead. I opted for points and still have not received them.
With regards to the Hotel, the rooms were quite nice and clean, the movies were at least 2 to 3 years old so could not watch any.
The food lacked variety and was too expensive, if you wanted just cereal in your room, you still had to pay for the whole breakfast tray about £50 for 1 breakfast, same for lunch, whether you wanted a light lunch or not, you still had to pay N10,000 for the buffet which was not good value for money, you cannot just get a toast and boiled egg, you have to pay for a whole breakfast.
Lastly for $320 a night, I think that should include breakfast in the least.
Overall not good value for money, I hope more light food options and prices should be added to the menu for those that do not want a huge meal.
Also the staff need to be educated on the values if the Intercontinental group as it does not seem they understand customer loyalty.
Hope to return sometime when i start reading better reviews. Can some one help with my Ambassador points please?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Femipee
IntercontinentalLag, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Femipee

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are very valuable to us and will assist in allowing us improve our services.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We have taken all your detailed feedback on board, and are currently putting in place procedures to rectify the issues you experienced.

We truly appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention as this is our best resource in providing guest satisfaction. We have reviewed your Ambassador account and your accrued points have been credited.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us, we truly value you as our most Loyal guest and I hope you will allows us the opportunity of serving you again in future.

Guest Experience Champion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Well its true that its a very nice and safe option. For me its centralized and close to the few options you can hang out there.
So lets talk about Lagos. we all know that the security situation is not the best so when you are inside the hotel you have a lot of things to do so you dont feel like in a cage. We all know that Nigeria/Lagos is very expensive so this is something we need to deal with.. and the business understand this.

Actually this hotel is my first IHG hotels in 2 years as I use to have a very bad history with them so I quit dealing with them.And I would say that the team in the hotel have done a very good job satisfying my needs.

Nice variety of food and restaurants. new clean Gym, pool looks OK but small and I didn't have time to try it.

Try to talk a room on a high floor on the waterfront. Actually it shows you the beauty part of Lagos.

I will definitely stay there again when I travel.

The only draw backs. is the hotel website itself needs to be updated. and the service team needs to respond more quicker.

Room Tip: High Floor facing the water not the city and away from the elevators
Dear Egyptian-Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay with us. We are very thrilled to read your comments as it affirms our goal to consistently provide excellent service and superior accommodation to our guests.

We are indeed pleased that you loved our skyline view, variety of restaurants and our recreation area. We have also taken on board your constructive comments about our website, which we are currently working on and will be updated soon.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us, we value you and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

The hotel is cozy and has a lovely ambience. I especially like the good food and quality staff ensuring that you get the best of services. Once inside it is like paradise. I recommend it to all anytime.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IntercontinentalLag, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Naat N

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and especially thrilled that you found our hotel comparable to paradise.

It is quite rewarding to read your feedback as at IHG we always endeavor to make your stay a memorable one, and create individual outstanding experiences. We are glad to read we got it right.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Lagos is pricey. We know that...but this is only the weakest attempt to deliver premium service for premium price. I hosted a business lunch for four in the lobby restaurant. The tab was nearly $200 US and the food was nearly inedible. A hot dog--actually a chicken dog-- in the spa costs 27 bucks! As McEnroe would say, "You cannot be serious!" But they are. I attempted to quickly convert a 20 dollar bill to local currency to tip my driver, but the clerk at the front desk refused to take it because it had been printed prior to 2009. What? No explanation regarding the magic of that date. Next time, I will try the Radisson Blu or Sheraton. Both are slightly less pricey... and unlikely to be as disappointing as the bogus five stars someone, in their delirium, assigned to this hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BobbyBMiles
IntercontinentalLag, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear BobbyBMIles

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your visit to our hotel. We truly appreciate your comments, since this is the most efficient way for us to constantly improve our services.

I am terribly sorry that you were unable to do a forex exchange, at our reception desk, more so I regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We will review our processes and ensure we improve our standards. Thank you for also giving us feedback regarding your meal, I have shared your comments with the Director of F&B, and I trust you will see improvement.

Thank you so much for your patronage, and I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Guest Experience Champion

Travelers are raving about these Lagos hotels

Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Being pretty jaded about Lagos and the rubbish service I have always endured there at lucury hotels in VI and Ikeja, the Intercontinental was a breath of fresh air. Service was crisp and friendly, and that West African chorus of "You are welcome" was constant.

The hotel is reasonably new and the room was spacious and well equipped. For some reason some parts of it looked a little worn already but that did not detract from my stay. There is security on every floor so you always feel safe. Food is good both at breakfast and at the restaurants.

The rate is similar to the places we've stayed before. The Intercontinental is not my default hotel in Lagos, no doubt about it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JoziMatt
Dear JoziMatt

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your stay. We are absolutely thrilled to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Positive comments like yours keeps us on the right track.

We are equally glad that you found the rooms spacious, enjoyed our food and felt safe during your stay. Once again thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel and we look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Ok the rooms are some of the best hotels in Lagos, but this is the only advantage of this hotel, otherwise:
- Laundry service is highly inefficient. in every 5* hotel in the world, when the laundry service says that delivery will be made on day D, not D+1... Here, you get your stuff late by one day, but no one even bothers to apologies... Who cares if you go to a meeting with a dirty shirt because your hotel is late??
- Room cleaning is the slowest i've ever seen... On 2 consecutive days, I came back to my hotel around 4-5pm, and my room wasn't made yet... What kind of 5* is it?
- My bathroom was dirty when i checked in... at 8:30pm! Which means that they had -in theory- minimum 6 hours to clean my room!
- Don't try to call Instant service and ask them for a hair brush or scissors, both will never reach your room... 2 calls later, no scissors but one SHOE brush...
- Jams and brown bread at the breakfast are over by 9pm, so better running if you want one of them. My omelette at today's breakfast never arrived.
- Food is really standard and basic, especially at the lunch buffet, that you pay $50 for poor quality food

Long story short, this is one of the very few places in the world where you will pay $450 per night for a standard room, and get such a poor service. So avoid it!! Radisson is a much better value for money and i'll be back there starting from my next trip

Room Tip: Ask for high floors
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ImadBz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear ImadBz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the poor service you received. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Danbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at the Intercontinental in Lagos on a week log trip. I did not have high expectations due to the reputation of hotels around Lagos but I was wrong. The service was great, professional and very courteous. The staff was professional, well spoken and available to help. Additionally, check-in and check-out was a breeze.
The hotel made me proud to be Nigerian in addition to being satisfied with the level of service. The restaurant and food was good, internet service was good, access through the hotel was controlled and well organized.
Power outage happened but the generators kicked in less than 2 minutes. This was good!
I will highly recommend the hotel and stay there again when I visit.
My only issue is the guy in the top hat and three piece suit at the entrance.....the weather is too hot to be dressed up like that....

Thanks.

Room Tip: 9th floor non smoking is the best. The garage under the hotel is extremely hot. The street (Kofo Aba...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AlaniKuye
IntercontinentalLag, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Lagos, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear AlaniKuye,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was quite rewarding to read all your positive comments, and that you had such a great stay with us. We strive to create special memories for all our guests, and your comments lets us know we are on track.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Lagos when next you are in town.

Best Regards,