“Great Service, But in Need of a Renovation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Lagos Airport

Ranked #30 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
Seattle, Washington
“Great Service, But in Need of a Renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Yes, this hotel is in Nigeria, but that's no excuse for letting the rooms go into disrepair. In my room there were stains on the carpet, the TV was really small and the bathroom smelled moldy. Service in the restaurant was inattentive and the food was expensive and mediocre. The hotel is very close to the airport, which is its primary advantage. If not for that, I would have spent another $100 for the Sheraton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank EveryCountryBy50
Richard_robaix, Front Office Manager at Ibis Lagos Airport, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear FlySeeFly,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your comment.

It is very disappointing to hear that your stay at Ibis Lagos Airport was not pleasant. Please accept my apology and give us a second chance.

I can be reached at h6708-fo@accor.com.

Deepest Apologies,

Ibis Lagos Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for my short trip for a board meeting in Lagos. My room ( 251) was on the 2nd floor with poor view. The rooms were neat and serviceable. The air conditioning was good. The major advantage of this hotel is it's proximity to the airport (local and international). The meals were nice with a wide variety of African and continental cousine. However the service is slow. You need to order for your meals especially breakfast one hour ahead of time. while the rooms are neat the corridors and walkways require a little more attention. The environment is difficult and noisy. This hotel is average in it's quality of service.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with an external view not a view of the hotel court yard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew I
Dear Andrew,

We appreciate your comment and thank you for staying at Ibis Lagos Airport. We are currently upgrading our rooms and we will pay more attention to our walkways.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return.

yola
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have read some of the other reviews and decided to book here for an overnight business stay. The hotel is very conveniently located close to the airport - if you are just transiting through Lagos, this is a plus due to the normal Lagos traffic (which is hectic at the best of times). Don't be fooled by travel times quoted between hotel and airport - it is totally unpredictable in Lagos.

The room rates are very reasonable compared to others in Nigeria.The room rate included breakfast.

Yes the rooms are not very big, but I don't mind if it is just for transit purposes. The room was clean and very comfortable - I had a good night's rest after about 6 hours on the road. The bed and pillows was designed for weary travelers. Staff were friendly and the restaurant was good (according to Nigeria standards). That means the food was not spectacular, but it was very acceptable to my western palette. The restaurant caters for both local Nigeria tastes as well as western dishes. They had a fixed price buffet that included both Nigerian and western dishes for dinner. The breakfast however was the highlight for me - a wide variety buffet expected from any high class hotel. I cannot fault the breakfast at all - in actual fact I rate it as absolutely great.

Two little things bothered me however about the stay: There was not bottled water in the room (this is an absolute must in all African hotels due to the quality of local water) and also no form of milk to go with the coffee and tea supplied in the rooms. These two things are really such low cost little items that would have made a difference to my overall impression of my stay.

The bigger issue that bothered me was the musty smell on the 4th floor (I don't know about the other floors). I noticed this when I got out of the lift on the 4th floor. The smell that met me was one of wet musty carpets. It was only the next morning that I discovered the cause of this - the ceiling in the passage outside the rooms on the 4th floor is rotten and dripping water in places and is covered in black mold! I have been told that renovations are still on the go and that this was an issue that will be addressed during this process. I was also told that the problem exist only on the 4th floor, but I did not confirm this myself.

Overall - this hotel has huge potential and will become a regular for me, but not until the little issues and the big issue of the black mold has been rectified. I hope this will be done soon - the convenient location near the airport is definitely an attraction for me (I dislike heavy traffic).

Room Tip: I took a room not facing the road as suggested by others - i.e. overlooking the pool. It was not noi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RenaldoRheeder
Dear RenaldoRheeder,

Your comment is greatly appreciated. I am glad you know how horrible traffic can be in Nigeria. Staying with us eliminates the traffic stress to and from the airport.

We are currently fixing the dripping water problem from our cooling system. Thank you again for your comment and we hope to see you again.

Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The Ibis at Lagos airport is not cheap for what you get, but is a thoroughly serviceable hotel. My room (211) was clean and had pretty much the softest and most comfortable bed I've had in ages. I had a brilliant nights sleep.

Dining choices are limited, but up to scratch. Due to arriving late evening, all I could manage was a cheeseburger at the bar, and it came with a good portion of fries. Burger itself was cooked well, and nothing to complain about.

Breakfast is good, although I felt some of the hot dishes could be hotter. The fruit is great, as was the bread and pastries.

Not used the pool, but this can be seen from the bar and looks clean and well kept.

The staff I have dealt with have always been polite and efficient. I've had no reason to complain about anything, but am sure they would deal with it quickly.

The only reason I don't like going to this hotel is that it means I am returning to work!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank skottydog
Richard_robaix, Front Office Manager at Ibis Lagos Airport, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Skottydog,

Thank you for your comment. It was a great pleasure having you at Ibis Lagos Airport.

We appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to write this comment and we look forward to your next visit even though it means you have to return to work.

york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

A wonderful recluse from the noise outside! I've stayed in several places around Lagos but the Ibis is the one that you can rely on. Lagos is unpredictable and totally different from any other place I've been, I realised that pretty quickly. It is important to think about this before writing a review. The hotel is very comfortable, the staff are very friendly, the pool is wonderful and the hotel grounds are immaculate. The hotel manager makes you feel welcome, he takes the time to come and have a chat and even remembers your name! Anywhere you stay in Lagos you will have problems. It just depends on how quickly they are addressed! The Ibis was very good from my experience.

Thank you Richard.

Room Tip: Away from the road is more peaceful!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Richard_robaix, Front Office Manager at Ibis Lagos Airport, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear David0911,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take pride in what we do and we always go above and beyond to welcome our guests.

Your comment is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Airport Lagos.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I agree with the comments of other reviewers: close to airport, friendly staff and rooms that are sufficient size for an overnight stay. Room facilities are basic and bathroom is OK. There is no fridge to cool drinks or kettle for boiling water. The decoration and carpets are starting to show the sign of wear but the bedding was clean and the bed comfortable. Buffet breakfast is included in the room rate; like most hotels in Nigeria, the choice of food is limited but adequate
As others have noted, make sure the taxi driver does not drop you at the Ibis imitation hotel which is reached first but only 30 meters further on then you reach the real Ibis. Make sure you arrange transport from the airport in advance unless you are an experienced and confident traveller through Lagos airport. I failed to do so and was stressed out by finding a taxi service at reasonable cost - I paid N3000 for the trip to the hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Richard_robaix, Front Office Manager at Ibis Lagos Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear KenWimbledon,

We appreciate your comment and thank you for staying at Ibis Lagos Airport. We are currently upgrading our rooms with new beds, refrigerators and kettles.

Your business is greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return.

Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Let me start by saying I am so sick of reviews that state a property is acceptable based on its location in Africa. If a western hotel chain chooses to build in any city in the world, I expect it to be consistent with international standards no matter where it is. An Ibis in Germany should look the same as an Ibis in Lagos.

We booked this hotel as we had business at the airport and traffic from Victoria Island can be a mess. The hotel is very close to the airport and when you first walk in the lobby looks great and is clean. There is no training for the staff in customer service, they are all very rude and direct. I got to my room on the fourth floor and it was a DUMP. First you get off the elevator and the carpet is stained and smells like mold, then the rooms are very small. I checked my bed sheets and found the sheets had not been changed from the last guest (hair of all kinds and stale smell) and went immediately down to the lobby and requested a new room. I was given another room on the fourth floor which had fresh sheets, however the room was still filthy with mold, hole in the celling and nasty floor covering which was a mix of carpet and rubber (I don't know what to call it).

We had dinner that night at the restaurant and I ordered a club sandwich. After 15 minutes of waiting the waitress came back and advised me the hotel was out of bread. Come on out of bread?

Bottom line skip this hotel and suck up the commute to the island. We stayed one night and checked out. We moved to the Federal Palace on Victoria Island and had a great experience for the same price. It was like an oasis! Skip the Ibis even if location looks good!

Room Tip: Skip this hotel!
1 Thank cvhdvd0616
Dear cvhdvd0616,

Let me start by apologizing on behalf of Ibis Lagos Airport and the employees of Ibis Lagos Airport. We have really failed you and I have no excuse for your experience.

Please give us the chance to fix our mistakes and make it up to you. Please send your contact information to me at h6708-fo@accor.com. Thank you.

Ibis Lagos Airport

Travelers are raving about these Lagos hotels