“Nice Restaurant - for Lagos”
Review of The Wheatbaker

The Wheatbaker
Ranked #1 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed January 7, 2014

[This review is only for the restaurant, not the hotel.]
The Wheatbaker was a nice restaurant. For Lagos. But it probably wouldn't make it on the level that it is trying to exist in any other major city. It was clean, and the food was decent, and the selection was more than fair. The service was very good; however, I attribute that more to the waiters' recognition of my travel companion, rather than just good service, since I saw others vying unsucessfully for their attention.
The atmosphere was noisy and a bit crowded. When full, and it appeared the type of locale that was ALWAYS full, it was a bit uncomfortable manipulating the buffet without hitting patrons' tables.
The restaurant gave the impression of trying too hard to be the "it" place to be and be seen. The patrons obviously wanted to be seen as being in an extremely upscale and haute couture restaurant, and this one didn't fit the bill. It wasn't a bad restaurant - far from it - but it was rather pedestrian considering the prices it charged and the attitude it attempted to present.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amnesty1
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Amnesty1

The Team and I thank you for your valuable feedback following your visit to our Deli restaurant and your impressions which are shared with the our team. Your observations are critical to our delivering the service distinguished patrons such as yourself expect from us.

We do hope you will visit us again when next in Lagos.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Being a first time visitor to the city of Lagos my friends and I decided to stop in at the Wheatbaker for something to eat. I was so impressed with the service and the way in which the staff and management made us feel so welcomed we decided that we would book for dinner the next day. The spread layed out for dinner was beyond comprehension, from the starters through to desert and coffes served there was absolutely nothing to complain about, we even got a chance to have a taste of the local dishes, how awesome. What was even more astounding is that the General Manager went around greeting all guest making sure we are happy and being looked after. Thumbs up to the Management and staff at the Wheatbaker for a superb dinner and exceptional good service.

Rozanne Bblackwell

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Rozanneb2808

Happy New Year!

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Wheatbaker, Lagos.

The team and I appreciate your feedback as it is invaluable in guiding our service delivery to all our valued guests.

We do hope you will choose to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had a business meeting here and it was very successful. Staff were very courteous. My issue with this place is the parking which is grossly inadequate, having to park outside the facility. The food was great. The rooms are rather small. Love the spatial arrange and flow from the reception to the hall and dining area. It's really a lovely place....

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Toyin C

Dear Toyin C

The Wheatbaker Team are grateful for your feedback following your visit to our hotel.

We certainly wish we had a bigger car park but hopefully the parking directly outside, attended by our Security, was a convenient option.

Your patronage is never taken for granted and we know there are many other choices now available to discerning Guests such as yourself.

Please do visit us again - it would be great to meet you!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

After travelling to Lagos for many years and trying various hotels, this is probably the best. Great rooms, clean linen, good shower. And service is good. The only downside is that it is a little far from VI and hence you need to plan ahead for meetings.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nndebele13

On behalf of the Wheatbaker Team, let me thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit.

Your honest feedback is critical to us in understanding what we get right and what we do not.

Certainly our location in Ikoyi is rather more tranquil that VI (Victoria Island) but you might agree that that is an advantage in a very busy city like ours! As you say, correct planning can have you in VI, Lekki or Mainland when required. The new Lekki bridge brings a huge improvement to travel times too.

We are grateful for your custom and remain at your Service,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

As a frequent guest to The Wheatbaker Hotel I am always pleasantly surprised by the consistent excellent service i experience at this hotel. This has on numerous occasions also been confirmed by my guests that I have introduced to the hotel. I have always experienced that from the time I walk in, you are made to feel very welcome and special. The greetings are sincere. The food whether its the breakfast, lunch or dinner is of such a quality and variety that the establishment is an ideal place for entertaining your clients or having important business meetings over a meal. It is so refreshing to see that there is such an establishment in Lagos where the Management who are very visible and accessible ensure that as a guest I constantly receive the excellent service to compliment this unique boutique hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike R

Dear Mike R

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience of The Wheatbaker, Lagos.

Our Executive Chef tries very hard to balance the culinary expectations of our international and domestic Guests.

We appreciate your feedback and never take for granted the support of patrons who have many other hotel options in Lagos.

I hope you will choose us again if you visit again!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I was excited cos my husband wanted us to spend the day/night out away from the norm, I was disapointed from the Gate as the security was very rude, we were rudely told to park our car outside opposite the hotel even though we had a 4 month old baby with us( he sized us up and assumed we were visiting someone probably because we didn't drive in with a big car ). My husband asked to drop us off first. Anyway I entered the beautiful lobby and the staff at the reception were not so friendly (i'm assuming because I look so young). We were told to wait a while which I didn't mind. Finally, the receptionist came to me and said there was a smoking room available ( did I forget to mention I was carrying a 4 month old baby). We were told we had complimentary drink and food which didn't arrive till we asked for it after about 3 hours.
I cannot fault the meal, it was delicious but very pricey. The room was also beautiful and comfortable but I was very disapointed in the service. Judging by the comments of others. I am assuming we were sized up by the staff and treated that way probably because they believed we did not meet the caliber of guests they are used to. Would I visit again? Unlikely

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Toeseen
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Dear Toeseen

The Team and I were very sorry to receive your review as we try very hard to make every individual Guest happy.

We cannot unfortunately locate a booking from last month that included an infant - as we would certainly have placed a baby cot in the room and made the arrangements associated with having a baby with us in the hotel.

We are equally sorry that you felt your age or your vehicle may have had an impact on how you were looked after, please accept my genuine assurance that this certainly would not be either our intention or our policy as a large percentage of our Guests are younger people.

I will write to you to request further details of when you stayed which will assist us in trying to find out what happened and respond in a comprehensive manner.

Once again, our apologies in the interim.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel stands out from all the hotels I have stayed in Lagos and other parts of this country. It is super clean, the serve good food, staff are great and courteous. Although a little bit pricy, but if offer value for the money. I will definitely go back

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Segebaba
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Segebaba

The Team and I here at The Wheatbaker thank you for your feedback.

Your patronage is never taken for granted and we hope you will choose to stay with us again should you visit Lagos again in the future.

Once again, many thanks and we wish you a Happy festive season.