“A very high end establishment, meticulously managed”
Review of The Wheatbaker

The Wheatbaker
Ranked #1 of 134 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If i had the money i would stay at the Wheatbaker everytime. It is owned and managed by Legacy hotels with a competent management team. The hotel is located centrally in Ikoyi. The rooms are extremely well appointed, immaculate and luxurious with blisteringly fast wifi internet connecitivity. The food is very good but standby for extremely high prices in the restaurants.

There is a nice pool area but similar the bar area is quite small and a little cramped. The gym is really good with modern equipment. there is an abundance of private secuirty guards both inside and outside the hotel, i felt safe at all times. They have a monster on site 'cat' generator, so when the mains power cuts (as it always does in Lagos about 30 times a day), the inconvenience is minor.

If you can get a cheap rate, go for it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Hotelguru85

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us here at The Wheatbaker, Lagos.

We have carefully noted all the points you have raised in order that we can ensure discerning Guests such as yourself receive on the best we can offer.

The Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Lagos soon.

There are newer reviews for The Wheatbaker

Reviewed February 6, 2013

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, then it would be very simple - this is the best hotel I've ever been to in Nigeria. Period.

And I stayed in many different hotels, usually favouring the Protea chain, simply because there was nothing better available. Until now.

Essentially, this will be my home away from home, whenever I am in Lagos - I don't even want to try anything else.

The rooms are spotless and well laid out, staff are super courteous, with management offering to resolve any issues immediately, breakfast is free and decent, the location is great - what more can someone ask for?

As the icing on the cake, every room comes complete with a Nespresso Cube machine and coffee capsules. Being a Nespresso owner and lover, I find that to be a very nice touch. I'd go for different flavours of coffee, than what they have, however I now know I can bring my own.

Definite repeat.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear DrSavant

Your review received yesterday created great excitement amongst the Wheatbaker Team as it is encouraging to know that Guests such as yourself - having reviewed in 40 cities - have found our hotel to be to your liking.

We will also extend our range of coffee pods in the event that a Guest requests one outside the range we offer in the room.

Your words meant a great deal and we genuinely appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Quality build, good amenities & friendly staff. Rooms are spacious, clean and well serviced.
Excellent location on Ikoyi Island. Security etc are consistent and conspicuous. The restaurants are good & food has a good variety. Overall, nothing is cheap in Lagos - but it was value for money compared with most of the competitive set. Having previously lived in Nigeria I have seen a fair selection of hotels and restaurants there. Recommended.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear ALP777

All of us here at The Wheatbaker were thrilled to receive your review and it has been circulated to the team to both assist and encourage us to maintain and improve our offering to discerning guests such as yourself.

We are very grateful and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Previous reviews spot on - I particularly liked the fact that the location is in a semi residential area so very quiet location. Staff were excellent in all areas, gym well equipped and rooms very comfortable. Being a coffee addict, the nespresso machine was a welcome start whilst getting ready in the mornings. Breakfast offered everything required and room service club sandwich, one of the best ive had. Burgers in the bar pretty decent as well. Costs, well Lagos isnt a cheap place to do business but ive paid more and paid less in West Africa previously. Hotel was busy so clearly not putting people off. Unfortunately they had a drain problem on my last morning but there was a lot of banging going on so sounded like they were taking immediate action to sort the problem. Usual credit card machine problem that I have suffered previously in Lagos, again seen here, so when paying had to do manual transaction.

1  Thank middlegam

Dear Middlegam

Thank you for providing this review of The Wheatbaker, Lagos. your comments are particularly appreciated given that you have obviously travelled extensively.

Every individual team-member here at the Wheatbaker is dedicated to ensuring you return and it is feedback such as yours that helps us improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in Lagos.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Lagos on business. As you will no doubt find, hotels in Lagos are not cheap. However, the Wheatbaker was - at this time - offering a promotion, which made their daily evening rates 30USD cheaper than other hotels of the same calibre.

Rooms were well appointed, clean and provided all the amenities you would expect for a top level hotel. While the power did go on and off several times, the generators were able to kick start the power efficiently. Bed was comfortable, the breakfast spread was completely beyond expectations, and the service was excellent. Upon checkout, management discovered that they overcharged me by 30USD, and refunded it immediately.

The Wheatbaker is not a large hotel, and does not offer the scene like a larger hotel. However, it is a place you can meet with clients and friends and expect wonderful service.

1  Thank syl2114

Dear Syl2114

On behalf of the Wheatbaker Team, may I thank you very sincerely for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very pleased that you found our efforts at providing a memorable stay were effective. This does encourage all of us to work harder for you, our valued guest.

We do know you have other hotel choices in Lagos so your patronage is never taken for granted!

I do hope you will return to us again.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed at the Wheatbaker for over two weeks and I plan to stay there again next time I am in Lagos. I really enjoyed my stay because the security was very good, all the staff were very professional and the hotel itself was impeccable. Best of all, the bed was so comfortable. Even the sheets felt good. It was wonderful to be able to sleep so well in a bed other than at home.And it was quite and peaceful. No loud generators. The water was clean and clear (if you know Lagos, you'll know why I mention that). Everything was perfect.
I am not a fan of big hotels, especially not in Nigeria, because in my experience there are always 'girls' floating about the corridors at night. Nothing like that goes on at the Wheatbaker! It's very civilized. The staff know the guests and the security guards are very discerning.
The hotel is pretty stylish and trendy, designed by well-known architect, Mosun Ogunbanjo. You'll catch the who's-who of Nigerian business meeting at the bar every evening and on Sunday, high-society gather here for brunch. You may even run into a few international musicians and movie stars if you are lucky! It's expensive but worth it.

Room Tip: If you prefer to over look the pool you can ask
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Catherine Moji R
Simon G, General Manager at The Wheatbaker, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Catherine Moji R

Thank you very much for your comments following your recent stay with us at The Wheatbaker, Lagos.

The Team and I are very grateful for your encouragement and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

In all standards the best hotel in Lagos. The attention to detail, visibility of management, the comfort. The rooms are so clean. The waiters wait on your every need. You can't get lost in the crowd at the wheatbaker! I spent the first few days of my honeymoon at this hotel before leaving for Seychelles. The experience was so warm I decided to spend a few more days. When I called to book the hotel, they were so thoughtful to ask if I was celebrating anything. I told them was spending my wedding night at the hotel and they decided to give me a generous discount and a wedding night surprise of roses, champagne and scented candles and dinner. My wife can't stop talking about the wheatbaker experience, even while in Seychelles.
We definitely will be back at the wheatbaker.

Ayodeji

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank dejouk

Dear Dejouk

Congratulations on your recent marriage! The Wheatbaker Team and I are honoured to have played a role in making this special occasion memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back should you visit Lagos again.

Thank you for your patronage.