“Horrible but I endured”

Ranked #37 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
Brookshire, Texas
“Horrible but I endured”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am a diaspora Nigerian that goes home occasionally and it was always challenging to find an affordable hotel in our over-priced city. I settled for this hotel after spending an horrible but more expensive night in another one in the same area (Lekki Phase I). Now I asked myself how I survived for close to 90-days here. Though I must admit that after staying so long at some point I was given the privilege of flexible payments. They had no choice as many of the rooms were empty for most of the time. They rationed power supply from their generator once public power went out, and during day time when many guest were out of the room power supply was usually zero. I only ate there once or twice and can even remember what the quality was like. Bathroom was very crappy and shower curtain haunts me till today. This is not supposed to be an hotel because it does not operate as one. I pitied the staff because I was sure they were paid peanuts. I could go on and on. I've been home again, and I stayed at another hotel with similar price and I thought to myself how and why did I stayed that long in Embassy Court, Lagos. I am still mystified.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank adeoflagos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We booked a room at Embassy Court at the last minute and were thoroughly appalled by the poor quality of the rooms and service. I'm not sure whether the other reviewers got lucky or if we just had a bad experience, but ours was awful.

The room was filthy and poorly equipped, lacking even toilet paper, a trash can, a towel, drinking water, glasses, mugs, or any other kind of dishware--for that matter. Everything in the room was dirty: sheets, shower, toilet, curtains, floors--the works.

The only thing in their favor was that they had a mini-fridge in the room, but that's about it. I've stayed in some real dodgy places both in West Africa and India, but for $100 a night this place is easily the worst hotel for the money I have stayed in.

If you have to be on the Islands in Lagos, drop an extra $50 or so and get a room at the Three Arms. Otherwise head on out to Governor's Hotel in Ikeja. You may not be able to book online, but at least you'll get a clean room, hot water, and can book a mini room for about $60.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hojason

Travelers are raving about these Lagos hotels

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Visited Nigeria from the United States in February and June 2013. Stayed at the hotel for three nights in February and one week in June 2013. Except for minor problems in February when the hotel was undergoing major renovation, my June experience was great. I found the receptionists to be very friendly and warm. Also the room was very clean. In fact, the price is a bargain for its standard.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank James E
Athens, Greece
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed there only 1 night, we have booked triple room, which caused a little bit of confusion, but finally we had our extra mattress on the floor and went to have dinner to a next door Asian restaurant (recommended).

Hotel was a little bit hard to find as it was dark already and it's not quite by the side of the street, but if you keep your eyes open you will see their yellow sign.

Room was big as well as bathroom. We had breakfast included in the price, we ordered it at 9am, but they manage to serve it a little bit after 11am - Lagos chaos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends