“Disappointing”
Review of The Blowfish Hotel

The Blowfish Hotel
Ranked #15 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Horrible neighbour, in the middle of a low end area. Messy service, with a major confsusion about the bookiing. Old rooms, with the overal hotel needing an upgrade.
Overall disappointed with the higher price comparing to the international hotel chains

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank JoseHenriques
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Mr. Henriques,

Greetings from The Blowfish Hotel Lagos, Nigeria!

I would like to know if you are rating the right hotel or you are intended to write a feedback about another hotel, because as far as I know, our neighborhood is a mix of some European Embassies, Head offices of major banks, some major financial services and some other fine dining restaurants.
With regards to our rooms, our extension is less than 1 year old, and the hotel itself was built in 2009 and renovated in 2012, 6 moth ago.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any inquiries, and if you really stayed at The Blowfish Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria, so I can attend to your complaints.

My email address is walid.elzyr@theblowfishhotel.com

Walid El Zyr.
The Blowfish Hotel.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel rooms are a bit small but then if you are on a business travel then that should not be worrying at all. The hotel has multiple restaurants and that is a blessing in Nigeria as one does not have to go out and risk life in the evenings looking for a decent place to eat. The pool is one of the best and cleanest I have seen in Nigeria and worth a swim. Room service as per West African standards is good and surprisingly the internet connectivity is not bad either. Overall, a good property to stay in VI.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Blowfish Hotel!
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to highlight that you must have booked the Level room, which is our standard room.
The size of the Level room is 30sqm.
Our Focus room is 38sqm and it has a nice balcony with wooden table and chairs.
Our Deluxe room is 45sqm and it has a small sitting area and a small dining area for 2.
Our Supreme room is 50sqm and it has as well a sitting area and dining area for 2.

I look forward to welcome you in back soon at our hotel.

Walid.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I love this hotel. Everythin was just perfect. So kind and nice pple takin care of u, always very clean, good airconditioner, Pool side was amazin and always very clean, I loved the Jazz nights every thursday, good food.. like a home. I slept every night like a baby no any noises from outside or in. Everyone were so familiar. I really wanna come back again someday. Thank you for everyone whos workin in this hotel, will remember u always!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Ms. Maria,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Blowfish Hotel.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Walid.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip. The standard Level room was perfectly adequate, but with a few rough edges, could do with some maintenance, such as the shower curtain falling down whilst showering which happened three times and the remote control for the TV did not work. The A/C unit was also badly positioned and blowing directly onto the bed.
The food was generally good in the main restaurant, including a nice greek menu. I found the food service was pretty poor around the pool area, there were often 2-3 waiters but they were not very attentive or friendly to the guests. The service in the italian restaurant was much better.
The pool was very nice it seemed to me that very few people were using it. Also they have live music on a Thursday night around the pool area which was very good.
One annoying thing was that they do not provide an iron and board for guest use, you must use the hotel laundry service. This is something that european travellers will expect.
Overall an average experience.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are generally quieter
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ads102
Walid-El-Zyr, General Manager at The Blowfish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, and likewise for your review about our hotel and services.

We take your comments very seriously, and I already communicated the areas of improvement to the concerned department heads.

The maintenance manager is checking daily and personally all the fixtures in the rooms to ensure all is working and in order.

The service around the pool is already improved, since we hired a new restaurant manager who is re-training all his team, and he will be present with them in the restaurant and the pool at all times.

As for the iron and ironing board, as a boutique hotel, we are unable to provide this for the rooms, and this is why we have our laundry facilities at a very low rate compared to any other hotel in town.

I look forward to welcome you again in the near future at The Blowfish Hotel.
Please feel free to contact me for any further inquiries.
My email address is: walid.elzyr@theblowfishhotel.com

Thank you once again for sharing your experience at The Blowfish Hotel.

Walid El Zyr

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Recently stayed here for 20 days, and it was a very enjoyable experience. The room was functional and clean, and Nora and the rest of the floor staff treated me with exemplary hospitality. The complimentary breakfasts were great - having fresh pineapple, papaya and watermelon was a nice touch to the morning buffet. There were some tasty dishes served by the two restaurants (Thai/Indian and Italian), my favourites being the butter chicken, palak paneer and any of the pasta dishes from the Italian menu. The weekly Jazz night by the poolside was also a great source of entertainment. Be sure to bring your own iron, if you require de-wrinkling the clothes from your suitcase. But aside from this minor quibble, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I'll be back again soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels in Lagos and i can say that the blow fish hotel is the best. The rooms are clean, and smell good. The bed was so comfortable, slept so well. The staff is very welcoming, the service is great, the food is yummy, best cuisine in town. They offer italian, thai, continental and snacks. The pool is amazing and clean, the best place to relax after a long day of work.
I recommend the blow fish hotel, i had a great stay there, will stay there again and again. You will not regret it at all.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed here in July, Only lasted here for one night due to the overpowering musty, moldy smell. Changed rooms but it was still there. It was so strong my eyes were watering and my sinuses were stinging... Breakfast was good, Pool in back is great for Lagos standards. Would think twice about staying again...

Room Tip: Make sure you visit the room first to avoid the mold.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business