“Great hotel in the heart of Lagos, Nigeria”

Westwood Hotel Ikoyi
Ranked #52 of 131 Hotels in Lagos
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in the heart of Lagos, Nigeria”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I have been a regular visitor to Lagos Nigeria since 2005 an extremely challenging environment for many travellers unfamiliar with this centre.

However, I have discovered the recently opened Protea Westwood Hotel in Ikoyi which provides a very efficient service in a relaxing and secure environment in very comfortable surroundings. The hotel itself is set on the river in the heart of Lagos with its own launch and has a quiet terrace - a place where one can read a book or enjoy lunch or dinner.

The newly re-furbished lounge enables the business traveller to relax or to meet visitors from other countries many of whom visit the hotel on a regular basis and the hotel is especially popular with both British and South African guests. There is also super-fast internet available through-out the hotel.

The hotel provides a meet and greet service at Mohammed Murtala Airport and airport transfers which are essential to make getting to and from this airport less stressful. The hotel also has dedicated drivers to take you to appointments that wait for you and bring you back due to the absence of official taxis and public transport services. The hotel itself and its rooms are immaculately clean and the food is well up to international standards.

Now that I have found this hotel I believe it is well worth sharing with other travellers to Lagos.

Steven: Sussex, England

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I get to travel through out West Africa for business and can finally tell you I have found a Hotel in Nigeria, Lagos which I will definately come back to!

Excellent spacious room, clean with all amunities one could expect from a world class hotel. The food was brilliant and custom from the staff over the top! From a business perspective the hotel is well within the buiness hub of Lagos with easy Access to Victoria Island from Ikoyi and proffessional transfers available and secure. The lobby / lounge is peacefull and a great place to relax and catch up with mail (Good WIFI signal avaiable throughout the Hotel)

Great views from the rooms and dinning area onto the water, with an awesome outside terrace to catch up on some much deserved "refreshments"

I highly recomed this for a trip to Lagos and will definatelly be back. The Gerneral Manager and Chef made my stay one to remember!

Well Done Protea Ikoyi

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I spent a week here. The first room I was given was unusable as the water coming from the taps really stank.

I was then given a room where the water was just about OK but it still smelt bad when I showered.

I did not try the restaurant except for breakfast the first day, it was very average and very expensive as breakfast was not included in the room rate.

The hotel is situated on the water but due to the layout of the coast there the water next to the terrace is stagnant and stinking.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, however.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank timefly

Travelers are raving about these Lagos hotels

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I have stayed in Protea Westwood hotel for 1 week during a business trip to Lagos. It is a typical Nigerian hotel that was developed especially for foreign business people who don't like to pay ridiculously inflated prices of EKO and Sheraton but still want to get some quality and value for money. AS I understand the hotel was refurbished over a year from the appartment block the rooms are very small but still adequate, beds were comfortable enough. My complain was that the air conditioning was always set at 18 degrees that I personally found very cold but I could not change it no matter what button I pressed plus the unit was hanged above the bed so the cold air was constanly blowing on you. There were supposed to be 2 lights in the bathroom - one on the ceiling and another one near the mirror, I only had one near the mirror so the room was very dark as it sisn't have an outside window. I have asked reception every day of my stay to fix the light but nothing happened in 6 days! :) Lifts are very very very small, it hardly fits in one person with a small bag. Food in the bar area is very over prices, expect to pay 30-40 pounds for an avarage burger/chicken and chips that comes 50 minutes after you ordered and always cold. Breakfast buffet is OK but I have seen mouldy cheeses and butter on display. Service is not worth mentioning, it is the same as in every Nigerian hotel I stayed before. They have a small restaurant area and a small patio outside overlooking the lagoon where you can have dinner/drinks. It is quite small but acceptable however if you visit during a rainy season you have no other option but to sit inside on the very uncomfortable chairs in the restaurant with air con blowing at you in all directions. I think the hotel is OK but as I mnetioned before it is quite new so still clean and well presented, not sure how it will look in 2-3 years time if they don't regularly maintain it. I already saw marks on the wall, broken lights and dirty carperts in the room and it has only been a year.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank helennik
Nairobi
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I ended up for a night at this hotel after the Protea, Ikeja cancelled my booking without informing me. I got there late at night, tired and hungry. They gave me a small cramped room near the elevator but I was too tired to complain. I prepared for bed and immediately after pulling down the duvet, a giant cockroach crawled out of the sheets...!!
I spent the next 20 minutes killing it, then stripping the whole bed to look for others, luckliy I found none. I had to remake the bed and could hardly sleep. I woke up early, declined breakfast and headed to the airport 4 hours earlier than my flight, just to get out of the place. My relationship with Protea hotels ended there...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business