“Wonderful place”

Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Lagos
Douala, Cameroon
“Wonderful place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is really a gr8 place to stay, located in a safe place in Lagos with management and staff so ready help.
Travelled on business, and through the stay, had a gr8 experience with friends and coleagues.
will always want to come back each time am in Lagos or Nigeria.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear 6pro,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about your stay with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you soon

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Linz, Austria
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very good for business travellers. Stelayed there for a week and enjoyed it very much. Breakfast buffet with parma ham was a nice gesture. Pool seems to be ok, did not have time to use it though. Will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Michael W,

It was a pleasure knowing you enjoyed your stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Lagos. Thanks for the great review and hope to have your stay with us soon.

Regards

Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stepping off the plane my heart sank. The airport was worse than I remember and just as ramshackle passport and customs as I remember. I want to catch the plane back straight away.

So what excitement I experienced to be checking into the 4 Points - modern, friendly and efficient check in and a great room. My 6 days was going to be fine with a refuge to look forward to at the end of the day.
All the essentials for a business traveller are there. Big comfortable bed, ample room for a work station - desk, swivel chair and internet (see later). Bathroom has all the toiletries needed - soap, shampoo etc. and of a good quality. Sufficient towels albeit the bath towels were a little small but does the trick. Dressing gown welcome as I needed it to feel warm in the cool air conditioned room. To my joy I found out that the air conditioner can be temperature controlled - often not an option in Nigeria.

The walls are a little thin so expect some noise from the other guests and outside traffic.

My room has a nice view of the river so I can get a sense of perspective of Lagos. The hotel is within 10 minutes from the office even in Lagos traffic so little wasted time commuting.

The breakfast is the best I have had in Nigeria ever and is up there with the best of the hotels. Smoked salmon on small brown fresh crisp rolls, fried eggs with palma ham, cuppachino, juice, toast and marmalade (ran out today!)- yum (I am going there after typing this review!!!). Cereals are limited if that is your thing.

Always know in Nigeria that there will be intermittent power cuts -at least10 a day. But the generators kick in after a minute - make sure you have battery power for your computer otherwise you will lose everything since your last save.

The internet is patchy at best. But persevere it does work and when it is up it is fast. I had to call for assistance a couple of times to stay connected. There is too much traffic on the lines so you take your turn or ask nicely to get some priority due to the urgency of your work.

I had a great reflexology treatment at the spa. Good value there.

I am likely to be back in Nigeria and I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Floors 6 and 7 are for SPG and 8 for Executive - aim for these if you can. I think all rooms at this...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rob N
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Rob N,

Thank you for choosing us as your home away from home during your business trip in Nigeria.
It’s glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location central for your business.
Your feedback is much appreciated and will be shared with every member of the team.
We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Four Points for a week. Travelling alone on business, my key concerns were cleanliness, safety and a decent environment in which to work. This hotel meets all three of these requirements reasonably well, with the exception of their wifi service, which was at best annoying and at worst, non-existent for a full day.

The hotel advertises "free" in-room wifi. The reality: signal strength was poor inside my room and the "free" service is throttled, forcing you through a tedious log-in process every 45 minutes. Continuous wifi service is available at a cost (too steep for my needs) so I put up with the login annoyance. One day, all wifi was unavailable and hotel staff just stated this as a fact with no apology or any indication of the length of time to repair.

Other technological glitches included daily power outages (2 to 3 times a day for several minutes at a time) and non-functioning room phones. My desk phone did nothing at all, while the phone by the bed did not dial out correctly. I tried several times, but following the instructions as written, my call would not go through. Finally, I had the hotel operator put the call through.

Hotel staff throughout were reasonably friendly, with the exception of the front desk staff, who were not great. Overall, I'd say they could all use a lesson in customer service befitting the Sheraton brand. They are not up to par.

Check in and check our are more tedious than in most hotels. Among the annoyances: I was charged for a local call that did not go through and when I asked for the charge to be removed, the desk staff flatly refused. Apparently attempting to make a call is sufficient to incur a cost. Advice to others: use Skype (or similar) to make local calls.

There was plenty of security presence. You had to use your room card in the elevator to get to your floor and there were security guards stationed on each floor.

Eating at the hotel is another adventure. The hotel restaurant - the Brazzerie - serves an utterly un-inspired buffet morning, noon and night. The evening I arrived, I was a bit hungry, so I went down and asked for an a la carte menu, wanting only a light meal. I was told that they did not have an a la carte offering and that the only option was the (rather expensive) buffet. I asked if there was another option for eating in the hotel and was told this was the only restaurant and my choice was the buffet or room service (even more expensive).

I ended up paying too much for a small amount of truly poor quality food on the first and second nights of my stay. FYI, the buffet looked pretty much exactly the same both nights. On both evenings, I saw many other hotel guests come in and ask for a menu just as I had. Each was told the same thing: this is the only restaurant; it's the buffet or room service.

WRONG!

Perhaps, strictly speaking, it is the only restaurant, but it is not your only food option in the hotel. There are several bars, at least two of which serve food. I did not try the sports bar offerings, but I did eat at the Office bar, located on the roof deck. It served a really nice barbeque where I enjoyed grilled king prawns and grilled vegetables that were quite delicious - a million times better than the buffet.

The hotel is well located near many restaurants within a 10-minute drive. The car rental in the hotel, while pricey (400 Naira or approx US$26 for an hour with a car and driver), is reliable and provided clean vehicles.

You should also know that the Cafe Cappucino in the lobby is excellent. I never tried the buffet at breakfast, but I thoroughly enjoyed a terrific latte and one of the best croissants this side of the Seine for breakfast each day. The only thing that would have made it better would be a fresh fruit offering of any kind. An apple or banana would have been a nice treat. But the coffee and baked goods were great - highly recommend Cafe Cappucino.

I did not try the spa, gym or pool areas.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor overlooking the Office Bar roof patio. It was quiet most nights, but on the w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sandrmom,

Thank you for staying with us. Your constructive feedback and recommendation to us through tripadvisor is much valued.
Kindly accept our sincere apologies on your unsatisfactory experience with internet, phone and at the front desk. The issues raised are certainly not reflective of the usual standards of our hotel and would be discussed with the relevant departments.
It’s great to know you enjoyed the services at The Office bar and we would indulge you to visit the Adrenaline Sports bar during your next visit, as it offers exquisite delicacy.
Presently, we offer buffet at the Brazzerie restaurant and your view on the offering of “a la carte menu” has been presented to the management team.
For the internet service, we offer 1) unlimited 60 minutes complimentary internet package and 2) the chargeable premium internet package.
We look forward to having you stay with us again and wowing you beyond your expectations.

Paris, France
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I am the CEO of a large technology company that is investing in Nigeria. At arrival at the airport I 'lost' my wallet and had no credit cards or money, my arrival was on a Sunday evening.
Despite being a so called preferred Starwood member, and despite the booking at the hotel being made by our customer in Lagos , a leading Bank, I was treated quite appallingly.

When I arrived at the hotel, and having explained my predicament, I was told by the receptionist that I could not stay in the room as I had no card or means of payment with me. Despite the fact I was accompanied by a protocol officer from the airport who explained the situation, I was refused a room.

The attitude was one of hostility and menace- ' you can't pay sir, or you have to pay cash'. Particular mention should be made to the ' Head' of the reception team , whose name I believe was Esther. She was without doubt the most surly, dismissive and least trained in customer relation I have ever come across in my 30 years of business travelling.

In the end the local partners that I am working with came to help resolve the situation, but it was an ugly experience.

Now - in terms of the hotel. It's first and foremost a business hotel, the facilities are reasonable, the rooms are poor , the food is ok. It's not what you would expect from a Sheraton, and the room rates are high.

But what is especially ' needling' is the incremental charges, the overall staff attitude ( apart from the cleaners who always have a smile), the security which is overbearing, the silly, minor things like the room phones not working despite repeated requests to fix, the room not made up by 5pm on two occasions.

In my experience of running businesses these issues usually come down to poor management. Whoever is the head of this hotel should take a long look at my review. Sheraton may think they have the lead in Lagos, but on my last evening I moved out to the Oriental Hotel. The difference was immediate. Excellent service, polite staff, good food, great rooms.

I will ( thankfully) never return to the Four points, but the one major problem that team should address as a priority is their staff attitude, and in particular Esther, who I will be formally complaining about to Starwood Group's CEOFrits van Paasschen. directly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JustinFloyd
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear JustinFloyd,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos.

We would like to express our sincere apologies for the negative experience and encounters with our associates (especially Esther); be rest assured as your concerns has been shared with management and is been addressed.

Kindly note, that Four Points by Sheraton holds its SPG members in high esteem. We do our best in ensuring we deliver great services to our guests and also beckon on a high culture service standard among our associates.

We look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back, make your stay an uncomplicated and memorable one.

Regards
London
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I moved here after a day at Radisson Blu, and fond Four Points to be a breath of fresh air. The staff were attentive, and made me feel welcome from the reception desk. Ruth, Akinwale and Shirley deserve special mention.

I was a female traveller alone on business and felt safe throughout my stay. I used the hotel taxis quite a bit which was convenient.

A downside is I think the prices are a bit steep for what you get. The food, and price of rooms were quite steep. Also, there were 'hidden' charges, so a price seen suddenly gets hiked with taxes and service charges. As one based in a country that doesn't do this, can be quite a shock. Also, the power cuts can be quite unsettling especially at nights but the generator comes on after a few seconds. The management might want to look into a generator that provides a seamless transition so power cuts are unnoticeable to the customers.

That was the only downside. Four Points is also located centrally for restaurants, and offices so journeys to and fro are quicker than if you were on the mainland.

The rooms are lovely and clean and shower does the job.

Will recommend this place as a suitable business hotel, and will definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2013
FourPointsLagos, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear holidayfan09 ,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Four Points by Sheraton Lagos. It’s so glad to know that you had a great stay.
As part of our staff recognition program we will be sure to acknowledge Ruth, Akinwale and Shirley for their service.
Your reviews on the generator and the charges would be shared with management.
Please rest assured of a flawless and high value experience during your next visit to our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards
Durban
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Four Points as part of our new year holiday. Mistake. The hotel does not have much to offer families by way of holiday diversion. So you must treat this as a strictly business hotel - in this, they come up looking pretty good.
Service not spectacular, looks understaffed, cramped rooftop bar with poorly-trained, overworked waiters; but the food, as is the tradition with Sheraton was excellent. The rooms were also sparkling - but it really is a Spartan, if elegant hotel. But nothing stands out in the memory to warrant a repeat leisure stay, but I would put my business visitors here without hesitation.
Not a vacation destination.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank douglasude
Dear Douglasude,

Thanks for making Four Points by Sheraton Lagos your “Home away from home”, kindly accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations during your last stay.
Kindly note that four points by Sheraton is a family hotel, we have kids’ menu packages and also we have a kiddie’s playground every Sunday.
We do our best in ensuring we deliver great services to our guests and we also maintain a high culture standard among our associates
Kindly contact us on info.lagos@fourpoints.com to share more of your encounter with us, kindly be assured of great service during your next visit.
We look forward to having you and your family stay with us again and making your stay an uncomplicated one.

Thanks