TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Excellent stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lagos
Avenue Hotel
You added Avenue Hotel to your Saves list
Ranked #52 of 127 Hotels in Lagos
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Excellent stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for the second time and both times have been excellent. (The first time was October last year). The personnel are warm, friendly and interested in a genuine way to their guests. I stayed for just over two weeks and any issue that arose with my room was solved immediately. The hotel has a good standard of cleanliness, occasionally the finer details are missed - air vents etc. The food is consistent, well cooked and well presented particularly in the restaurant on the top of the hotel. The location of the hotel is not central, however for the purposes of my trip it was very convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Now this hotel has the potential to be 4*, and could do with a few tweaks (if like me you treasure an unimpeded nights' sleep, bring your own pillow: they were too hard, then too soft, but a minor inconvenience when considering the whole), there is no pool and the bathroom let the suite down somewhat in terms of needing updates on tiling, but the accommodation was unfailingly spotless (and believe me I went prepared with my cleaning products and toilet wipes - as I was travelling with children, but no additional cleaning was necessary - neither were my pre-packed sheets!), non-smoking, totally bug free, and the food was of an excellent standard, the staff were responsive, polite, discreet and the real strength of the operation. Max was constantly available to go above and beyond the call of duty (my laptop stopped working and Max and his manager Nnena were quick to voluntarily print out my pre-booked boarding passes and make computers available to us) and all members of the staff team are a credit to such a small boutique hotel. I say "small" but our family of four stayed in the one bedroom apartment, and using their own initiative an additional double bed was moved in to accommodate us, the apartment was spacious and nice enough to entertain visiting associates and friends, there was a lovely outdoor thatched roof lounging area that served drinks and food which was lovely to sit in of an evening (especially when a very good band played on the Wednesday night!). While this location was close enough to the business and leisure districts to feel connected but discreet (lovely quiet road, easy to find, situated behind the main drag in Victoria Island), it would be ideal for the single business traveler looking for a short or extended stay - the children were welcomed and catered for in terms of meals and DVD entertainment; they are 8 and 14 so weren't running around interrupting meetings, but I get the distinct impression this staff body could have handled anything thrown at them. Having shopped around scrupulously and maximised the spying potential of friends and family living in Lagos I can confidently say that for our tight budget, this was not only the most amazing, reasonably (and competitively) priced hotel, but was so clean, welcoming and conveniently located I wouldn't hesitate to return (as promised) on future trips to Lagos State, Nigeria. As world travelers I can confidently say the security was second to none, and I felt secure and comfortable in all areas of the hotel (I don't play with my childrens' safety and even fully inspected the low traffic staff areas at the back of the residence - it pays to be paranoid) - the gate and environs of the hotel were constantly discreetly patrolled and the unobtrusive security measures were noted and appreciated. We went for my fathers' funeral, and to walk away at such a devastating time with the impression of a phenomenal stay in this establishment says it all. Thank you Max, Nnena, Ibe, Glory and Austin for being such outstanding support in creating a home away from home in our darkest hour.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Even though the place has the potential of being a very nice simple and affordable hotel,it is lacking a lot of things which is obviously suffering from lack of supervision and maintenance,rusted soap handles and shower rails enough for you to wanna puke or throw up,the corridors are so hot once out of room and sometimes smells of cigarette smoke,then most of the food they have in the Menu is never avialable in the kitchen while food take one hours to be served,its never fresh,yet expensive,. Very dirty towel mat on the floor you will dread stepping on it. The whole compound needs fumigation because the mosquitoes are big as giants courtesy of the dirty gutters in front. The house keeping can't even make a proper bed with the stained bed covers. Meanwhile staffs dress like the are going for a house party. The hotel is still trying to breath and it could be better if the could bring up their standard. For now,I will not advise anyone to stay here. Penny wise,pound foolish.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Doris_idec
Coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The staff are first class all very friendly and helpful, they cant do enough for u, anything u ask for its not a problem for them.The location is safe and perfect, far enough from the strip to get away from the hustle and bustle of Lagos but close enough (5 minute walk) to get to, enjoy evening meals and drinks, shopping malls, nightclubs,and banks! I have to say that I have never ever stayed in such a nice, well run, immaculately kept haven. Although there was some renovations going on at the pool and Gym it was no problem and never obtrusive. the weather was fantastic, couple of short bursts of rain but nothing really, but it did make the landscape so nice and green, The Rooms and bathroom were spotless, Excellent Wi-Fi facility throughout the whole of the hotel, including your hotel room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

When you consider that the other option for Europeans is the Radisson Blu at +$400 per night, this is an acceptable alternative.
It is typically African in standard and service but is perfectly OK.
The water was off for one day but they have a good Generator so when the power goes, it never is off for too long.
Staff are lovely and friendly and the rooms were serviced daily.
I did have a small complaint about the fact that the Mozzies were let into my room by open windows, courtesy of the cleaner, but after i complained, the manager then instructed them to de-bug my room and the smell of the spray they used was extremely strong and made all my clothes in the wardrobe smell.
If I go again, I will take my own insect spray I think.
All in all, not a bad little guesthouse and I would consider when I go back again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ben H
Mavenue, Director of Sales at Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you sir for your comments and also for choosing to stay at the Avenue Hotel. We are always happy to get feedback from guests.
Ive had a chat with our team mates (who have the job of looking after the guests rooms) &
you will be happy to know that they have come up with a new bug spray brand that has a lighter after-fragrance which is now used as standard in the hotel!
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay, and will look forward to welcoming you back again whenever you are in town.

We love to hear from all our guests as we believe that your comments drive us to sustain our services and help make us an alternative, affordable oasis of comfort among the larger, more expensive big name brands out there.
We wish you a happy rest of year in your business travels!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great value for money. The staff are so welcoming and professional. The price was amazing and my room was beautiful. I did have a problem with my TV but the staff tried to fix it. I had a great time. i would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying at the Avenue Hotel, your comments drive change and we are happy for feedback.
We have upgraded the breakfast menus wonderfully and we now have a wider range of sections for your enjoyment including, Healty breakfast section, Full English sections, Fruits only section, Continental section, Nigerian Sections and also we even increased the brands of tea we carry to include green teas and more!

We look forward to hosting you again when you may be in Lagos next time!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stay at this wonderful place in March 2011 for 5 days after finding them on facebook. The Place is noise proof so you cant hear the generator. The pepper goat is to die for, i had it every night.............lol The staff were so friendly and helpful, they found someone to tie my heap wrap for a wedding. They could not do enough. They have a bar and have various special night. The Avenue is near a nail bar, supermarket and it is safe.
My only bad point is they try and serve you same breakfast every day but just tell them you want some diffrent and they will offer you yam, plantain etc.
It a best kept serect of Victoria Island, Stay there. I will be back in xmas