“Good business retreat in Lagos”

The Federal Palace Hotel
Ranked #4 of 135 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Good business hotel, free functioning wifi and clean rooms. Liked the fact that one couldn't hear any street noise in the hotel and the retreat the terrace offered after a crazy day in the city. Also ideal for conducting business meetings in the boardroom or bar area.

Room Tip: Ask for water/garden facing room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelife-SA
karen_rothschild, Project Marketing Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our property! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our facilities met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our facility soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We checked out of this hotel after six hours. When you walk in this hotel, it is very impressive and very well decorated. Same goes for the rooms. Best in Nigeria without a doubt I have seen. However, this is when everything good stops.

When we first arrived our luggage came promptly, and as we were all going to the elevator the porter shoved his trolley with the luggage in the elevator and informed us 'luggage goes first', so we had to wait for the next one. I found his extremely rude. However, later when we were arriving back to the hotel after lunch, we found our porter down collecting tickets at the entrance. So I guess he is a porter and also a parking attendant? No wonder he is not so good at being a porter. I also saw him later as we were checking out doing some other odd job. Perhaps they should invest in more staff? Instead of getting one guy to do three things.

I found all the staff to be rude and unfriendly. Terrible, terrible service. I requested for a baby cot down in the lobby and the female receptionist was so impolite. Didn't even acknowledge my request or presence. Seeing as she was no help, I called housekeeping which was even worse. It took forever for them to understand- 'Baby bath..? Baby what..?' And each call to housekeeping came with huge background noise, as if they're having a party down there or something. It took three hours to arrive. When the bed came, it was a scary nightmare. Old rickety wooden thing WITH SCREWS COMING OUT OF IT. EVERYWHERE. As in, each corner had SEVERAL screws. The whole thing looked like it would break. Also, if our child decided to stand up and hold the edges, he would have toppled over. How hard is it to invest in a simple mothercare travel cot? Just get several of those and the hotel is set.

Now on to the next fun part: YELLOW WATER. We had three suites in the hotel and ALL THREE had yellow water. And not the kind that if you leave it running forever it changes color, it just stays yellow.

I mean, what else can I say? There was no internet connection in our room because 'we do not get internet in that wing of the hotel'... um what? In the entire suite we found just one electrical outlet that gave electricity. Our chain on our hotel door was gone, as in broken. I always like to lock my room with the chain, makes me feel that much safer and also stops any housekeeping from walking in on you. Well, forget that. We requested a sea view suite, let me say I have never had such an UGLY view. You can see a slight, tiny, ity bity corner of the sea and the rest is the roof of the next building with all its air conditioning and I don't know what else. Room 334, go give it a try. How can they even call this a sea view? I feel as though I am rambling on and on. You get the picture of the hotel.

My reasons for checking out are clear. When we tried to check out, we were offered an immediate upgrade to what is called an apartment suite and also unlimited cartons of bottled water to make up for the yellow water. Yes, you read that correctly. Well, I didn't come to the Federal Palace to take a shower caveman style. While nice and friendly at that point, it was too little too late. Perhaps the management could try to teach the rest of their staff how to be friendly and nice from the moment their guests enter the hotel. I sincerely mean that not one face we saw was friendly or polite. NOT ONE.

Even if you wanted to stay just for the nice rooms, and could put up with everything else, how will you take a shower with the yellow muck? This is just not a hotel one can stay in.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank ssn12
karen_rothschild, Project Marketing Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

It was with sincere disappointment that we noted your comments from your recent visit to our facility. You can be assured that the issue of poor staff attitude towards our guests is not taken lightly by Federal Palace. This will be addressed with the Departments concerned and corrective training and action will be taken. I can also advise you that the baby cots are in the process of being replaced, and we thank you for this observation.

We can only apologise for your poor experience and thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention so that we are able to take the necessary action to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for two nights earlier on in March while my husband was there on a conference. While the hotel lobby looks grand and appealing, that cannot be said about the service.

The lowlight for me here was the fact that i was stopped from bringing in a birthday cake for my husband who turned 40. It was bad enough that he couldn't spend the whole day with the family due to the conference.

I however made him a lovely cake and brought it to the hotel to have some family time with him in the evening. We were rudely stopped at the entrance of the lift and told we couldn't take the cake to his room.

It later took the intervention of one of the managers before we were then allowed, by then my husband and the whole family were very upset.

The room service food is also nothing to write home about. .

The management should do something about the colour of the water coming out of the taps! It’s such a shame that it has remained this way for years!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissMot
karen_rothschild, Project Marketing Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay with us on Trip Advisor.

Please accept our apologies for the manner in which you feel you were treated with regards to your husband's birthday cake. It is, however, standard practice in many establishments that sell food and beverage, that outside catering, is not allowed. We would, however, have been more than willing to accommodate this special request on what should have been a happy occasion, had we been advised thereof. I am pleased however, that it was able to be resolved on the day.

With regards to our In-Room Dining menu, this has been reviewed, and the new menu is currently in print.

Federal Palace operate their own water treatment plant on the property as we draw bore hole water. The "brown" water is sometimes experienced when switching tanks, but it is not a continuous issue.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Federal Palace ( Hotels & Casino ): "Great Business & Family Hotel"
Date: 25 July 2011

I booked this hotel for a Month stay in Lagos mainly based on its #1 rating by my friends. And it is a unique little gem, really.

We have stayed at many hotels over the years, often luxury ones with impeccable details and fantastic designs. Price-wise Federal Palace is on par with these better-class hotels. But the comparison fails: Federal Palace is a luxury place. Yet, in ten years from now, I’m sure we will still fondly remember the business trip & vacation we had there.

It is the perceptive and friendly service that makes it worthwhile staying in this small family-run hotel. The owners and staff are social at just the right level and they go to great length to make you feel at home. In the afternoon, the staff would bring out snacks and coffee for guests who had opted to spend the day in the shade of the palm trees in the little garden. At no charge. During the Birthday of my friend the duty manager arranged for Complimentary Cake and Red Wine at no cost. In the breakfast the chef accepted the request of making an Indian Dish on a daily basis and that was all we all were looking for. Indian Food in lagos .. wow .

This said, there is nothing wrong with the facilities. The room we had was spacious and pretty, the breakfast is good and the hotel is almost at the front of a Lagoon, so distance to the beach is limited but no access to beach. The garden may be small, but it’s a relaxing and quiet place – one where you really don’t mind spending an afternoon or two with a good book. Also the Club Facility is the best , with access to Lawn Tennis, Giant Swimming Pool ( with Life Guard) , and Mini 18 hole Golf Course absolutely free for Guest 24 X7 , with Gym Facility.

Federal Palace is known for Casino worldwide, and so did i found here, easy and friendly access to Casino , anytime of the day and no dress code at all , give you the feeling of being at home. Casino was a great Fun.

And as many people have written before. Federal Palace ( Hotels & Casino ) is a place you would definitely come back to and recommend to your friends. Thank you very much for making our stay so pleasant!!!

Room Tip: Ask for 5th Floor , Sea Side Facing .
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
karen_rothschild, Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding our property. It has been a pleasure hosting you and your colleagues at Federal Palace - you are certainly part of our family.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

The Federal Palace is my fav hotel in Lagos. Situated in Victoria Island, the hotel is very safe & secure, high standard accommodation and amenities. The new pool club & tennis courts out the back are great new additions.

Room Tip: Book via telephone for lowest rates.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
karen_rothschild, Project Marketing Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2011

Thank you for your comments! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Lagos soon!

Reviewed June 19, 2011

I had a splendid time@the hotel, the ambience in the lobby was exceptional. I was actually there for Season one of the "Casino Celebrity Learner's Night" so i had to spend the night, despite the fact that an event of such magnitude was going on, the whole environment still retained its calm and prestigious feel. The room was gorgeous and the breakfast was great. i'm definitely coming back because Federal Palace Hotel is a home away from home.

Room Tip: I was in room 312, but rm 512 has a pool club view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank M0t0la
karen_rothschild, Project Marketing Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Thank you for attending the first in our series of Celebrity Nights! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will visit our property again soon. Kind regards

Reviewed May 29, 2011

Great hotel, nice clean and spacious rooms with good facilties and amenities, nice beds, good food (has improved substantially over past year), excellent service from very friendly and efficient staff!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank wp1234wp
karen_rothschild, Project Marketing Manager at The Federal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Regards