“my first 15 meters on kiteboard!”
Review of Sun Kite School

Reviewed March 23, 2014

gratefull to Sonay - teacher from her heart- for amaizing time and memory. i took only 3 hours lesson but it was so productive that in the very end of these hours i finally could stand on the board and make my first ride! thank you Sonay! and thanks to Emmanuel ofcourse for her smile and care and optimism. Women power yahoo!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I took 12 hours of lessons and 3 hours of rental with Sun Kite School, and I had a really great time. My instructor was Sonia who is very good at what she does, and assisted by Emmanuel who was always a pleasure to talk to.

The school focuses on safety. They have top class equipment and provide helmets and life jackets. I took semi-private lessons, but the quality of my lessons were almost as if they were private.

The main problem I had was that there was not enough wind to do lessons or rent for 4 days during my stay. However the school is fair regarding this and the lessons/booking is delayed for another day. On one day there were rough waves which made things a bit more difficult.

A big advantage is that the kitesurfing is done in Lake Nicaragua, with the fresh water being much more pleasant to work in than salt water.

I can also say that after my lessons, when I was only paying for equipment rental, Sonia and Emmanuel still provided much assistance and advice, which was really great and helpful.

Having now looked around a bit, I can also say they offer one of the cheapest packages in (if not the cheapest), without sacrificing any quality.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Was not expecting to do or even find any Kite Boarding School on our 3 day visit to Ometepe.
Found the School just outside the town of Santo Domingo on the beach of the Xalli Hotel.
Was little sceptical when first walking down the stairs to the beach to find that there is not much of a shop or outfit but rather just a table setting on the beach with some equipment set out. The beach on the Lake Nicaragua itself is a long stretch with onshore winds gusting up to about 20 knots and seemed rather choppy at first especially as a beginner.
I met Sonia and Emanuelle, two very nice French ladies who own the school. They are IKO Instructors and seemed very professional about their courses offered. The prices were reasonable and I signed up for a 6hrs Intermediate Course over 2 days.
Day one with Sonia proved her skill and expertise and she gave excellent instruction and safety awareness. It's all about safety here! She was very polite. helpful and encouraging. The waves were quite big on that day and I myself not beeing so young or fit struggled a bit at first but Sonia kept encouraging until I got up on the board down wind. Day two continued with some fails but I finally got it in my head what Sonia had instructed the past two days and started going up wind on the board over waves and had much better control over the kite and my board than ever before. After the six hours was over I got instruction on the IKO Safety Rules and Received a Card with my experience level which I can use at any other school internationally to get further training.
I would definitely recommend going to Sun Kite School on Ometepe Island to anyone who wants to start kite boarding or continue further training, plus a chance to visit this beautiful island. This is also the only IKO School I know of in Nicaragua and the only school I came across during my visit there.

1  Thank Travel_Yachtie
Reviewed January 16, 2014

SCHOOL: Sonia and Emannuelle are super chill. The school is directly on the coast in front of Hotel Xalli. Xalli has by far the best food on the beach. They are there every day from 8am until about 4 or 5pm. I didn't need lessons so they didn't charge me anything despite launching and landing me, watching my stuff all the time, and listening to me talk all the time (seriously, look how long this review is!).

WIND: Steady ENE wind every day. This is the lake of the eternal whitecaps. It whitecaps Novemeber through May. The wind is almost straight onshore so going upwind is necessary and you need someone to help you launch and land to do it safely. The benefit of almost straight onsore is that you can go up the entire beach in one tack if you want. I kited from my hotel down to the kite school in a few minutes as I couldn't find space at Xalli. The very best wind is December through March. The morning is always windy, afternoons would work with a surfboard (see below).

WATER: Nicely spaced swell and breakers providing ramps to jump off over and over when kiting. If you have a surfboard, this is the place to use it. I had a chop-eating rockered twin tip which is awesome when you are well powered but the waves (current towards the shore) robs you of a good 3 knots, so I was unable to go upwind with a 14m even with whitecaps out. I see a surfboard in my near future.

BEACH: The beach is narrow in December and grows as the lake recedes through the dry/windy months (until June, when it starts raining again). Very gradual slope on the beach, you can walk out a good 50-80meters from shore before waterstarting depending on the level of the lake and the intensity of the waves.

VIEW: From the beach you can only see one volcano (only one VOLCANO!), as soon as you do a couple of tacks out you can see the other one as well. While riding, you are facing one volcano when you are tacking one way and the other when you are tacking the other way. The view is just surreal and incomparable.

OTHER THINGS TO DO: Climb a volcano; go to a viewpoint; birdwatch (you do this anyways); rent a dirt bike and go around one of the volcanoes; go look for howler monkeys; relax in the river pool (ojo de agua) fed by the volcanic rainforest water; go kayaking on the calm side; go kayaking in the swap with the small gators; go to the indigenous sauna; go to "little morgans" if you want night life, a bit crazy though so expect seeing weird stuff there, some european hippies run the place. Ometepe is a HUGE island with lots to do and see, Seriously, I have been there about 10 times in the last 15 years and still haven't seen it all!

2  Thank elNicaKitesurfer
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Setting: Firstly, Ometepe has wonderful natural attractions such as cloud forests, volcanoes, pre-columbian petroglyphs,waterfalls, Rio istian wetland and lots of other hikes just to mention a few. To top it off, it has a wonderful kite surfing school and the views surfing the lake are breathtaking.

The school: It is run by 2 "IKO" certified teachers and they give lessons in French, Spanish and English. They run it very professional and put safety first which I really enjoyed.

My package: 9 hour private lessons spread over 3 days. In the morning 3 hours/day and the rest of the day exploring Ometepe. After 6 hours of lessons, I finally felt comfortable with the kite handling and started with the board. After 9 hours, I started feeling comfortable to go out by myself and stayed close enough just in case :-) Now, it is all up to me to continue what has been started. I am super excited!!!

Thank you Emanuella, Sonia & Carlos!!