“Great times, great company. Meant to stay 2 nights, ended up staying 7.”
Review of Yogi's Hostel

Yogi's Hostel
Reviewed December 21, 2013

My wife and I went to Ometepe with the idea of staying 2 nights before we headed off to Popoyo to surf. When we got off the Ferry, we had no idea where we were going to stay, until a fella with perfect english started talking to us. Im normally really weary of people trying to get us to stay at their place at Ferry docks, but Robinson, the owner was really charming, polite, and well spoken. We decided to go check out his place, and decided that Yogi's was perfect for us. Casual atmosphere, very relaxing, good people seem to be attracted to staying there. We met awesome people, and spent a good amount of time with Robinson. He was a wealth of knowledge, gave great directions and would help us set up anything that we wanted to do, including treks to the top of the volcano.

We had a really great time there, and look forward to returning one day. Don't think twice about staying here. The prices were great, and everything was clean and comfortable.

On a side note, House Hunters International filmed at this hostel for one of their episodes while we were staying there. That was rather interesting.

Room Tip: The room at the top of the stairs with 3 beds is ROASTING HOT in April when its 40C outside. He does...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Yogi's Hostel

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at Yogi's for a total of three nights. I had a great time and met a few friends there as well. Robinson, the owner, had excellent suggestions for what to do depending on how much time you have. He's lived there his whole life and knows the island very well. I ended up renting a motorcycle from his father's rental service for 6 nights. We climbed Conception with the help of a guide and then I made my way to the smaller volcano of Maderas. Everything went as planned and I had a great time. Robinson is genuinely, a great resource. Next year, If I come back as planned, I'll be stopping by Yogi's and renting another motorcycle as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Tucked away in a side street a few blocks up from the port, Yogi's is an under-construction, no frills, solid budget option. The dorms have single and double beds (could be interesting...) and the double rooms are spacious. The hammocks are amazing and the place has a really relaxed feel. It's not a party hostel - but for that, El Indian Viejo hostel is just one block away.

There is no AC, but the fans are good. There is a kitchen, but it is rudimentary and has some resident mice. Breakfast is not provided, nor is hot water. The fridge has soft drinks and water, but no booze.

On weekends the lady 3 doors down has an outdoor BBQ (one of many in town).

Robinson, the owner, is an amazingly nice guy. He's full of info about the island, will go out of his way to help you and can hook you up with tours and bike rentals (but make sure you barter with his sister, who rents the bikes - her opening offers are too high). He is around in the morning and night; make sure you catch him when you see him.

A nice hostel if you want a no-frills, chilled place to stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2013

robinson, the owner is adorable and tries everything to make you feel home. hostel is still under construction, because the owner needs more space for all the satisfied backpackers :) he can organize motorbikes and speeks excelante english, which is not common...

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Yogi's based on a recommendation from some folks that live on Ometepe. We didn't know how long we would stay, but we ended up spending 4 nights there and we loved it. Robinson (the owner) is friendly and knows a lot about Ometepe.

We did not have a reservation, but he found a bed for us in the dorm. We said we were thinking about climbing Concepcion (the 1600 meter volcano nearby) and he set us up as part of a tour that was leaving the next morning.

He (and his sister) rented us a scooter to tour the Island with. You can also rent off-road motorcycles and 4 wheelers.

Yogi's is fun, but it isn't a party place after hours. It's muy tranquilo! It's right down the street from downtown Moyogalpa. If you are there on a night other than Monday, treat yourself to some great home cooked chicken at a house just 3 doors down.

The rooms and beds are clean. There are 2 shared bathrooms and showers. You can also get a room with a private bath if you want to spend a few extra dollars. The prices are reasonable. Next time we stay on the North Island, we'll head to Yogi's.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rich B
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at Yogi's for over a week and I have nothing but positive feedback - I loved my time there. It is family run and the owners take great care to make sure you have a positive experience - they're very helpful but not pushy. They can help you set up tours, rent a bike or just figure out the bus schedule. The rooms are very nice with clean sheets every couple of days, nice fans and NEW mattresses. I even had a nice chest of drawers in my room! Hotel quality rooms at hostel prices. You can't beat that. The owners were always asking if I needed anything or wanted my room cleaned - nice! The garden area is relaxing and lovely and the sitting area is spacious and has comfortable chairs and three very popular and comfortable hammocks. It's a nice place to come back to after climbing a volcano or checking out the sites and there are always people gathered there to chat about their days. It's not a party hostel, but it is very friendly. Also, it's located a block or so outside the center strip, so it's very peaceful and less touristy - and yet just a 1 minute walk to the heart of it all. I highly recommend this hostel - it's got everything you need for a great trip to Ometepe (which I also highly recommend)!

Room Tip: The best shower is in the back, though the garden!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Robinson is hands down the most genuinely friendly hostel owner I have met. He was never pushy with tours, which is rare in many hotels in Latin America, and he was always so helpful and nice to us. The rooms are a great value, but have some bugs in them. But what do you expect? Moyogalpa means "land of the mosquito." Bugs are everywhere on the island.

Room Tip: Mattresses are pretty soft...maybe look for one that's less saggy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends