After having spent a week on a medical mission in Nicaragua, my wife and I with our 5 month old daughter wanted to do some sightseeing. We were told to go to an expensive resort in San Juan Del Sur and were disappointed after spending a night there so we decided to take the ferry to Ometepe to see what was there. We had no car or accomodations when we arrived on the island and thought we would just 'wing it'. A porter started grabbing our bags once the ferry docked and we were a bit concerned - our Spanish is not good at all and he didn't speak English. He brought us to a guy on the shore who spoke excellent English and had a van. We explained that we didn't know where to go and he offered to take us to the beach area to find a good hotel. He turned out to be an excellent tour guide, telling us the history of Ometepe along the way. He brought us to Villa Paraiso and we asked to see the available rooms. We were shown two rooms which were clean and had air conditioning and reasonable amenities. For $10 more we could have the bungalo overlooking the water (#1) with a porch decked out with hammock and chairs. We took it! This is not really fancy, but we had just paid $260 for a night at Pelican Eyes, and we liked the rustic charm of this better. There are 5-6 other small hotel/restaurants along the beach here. We didn't swim, but the beach was nice to walk on and it had good views of both volcanos. We ate at the restarant that evening and found the food to be excellent and reasonably priced. The shower had great water pressure, the AC worked great, and the TV was functional. For $70, this was more expensive than many budget travel options, but I thought it was well worth it. My wife and I decided that if we come back to Nicaragua, we will come back here. We arranged for a tour guide to pick us up the next morning and for $60 total, he took us around to Agua de Ojos, a Finca (coffee plantation), Choco Verde and several other sights before dropping us off at the ferry for our return trip. This was a highlight of our visit to the country!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Paraiso es un hotel ubicado en la bella Playa Santo Domingo, en la Isla de Ometepe, en medio del Volcán Concepción (activo) y el Volcán Maderas con una laguna en la cumbre. El Hotel cuenta con 29 habitaciones todos con A/C y agua caliente, para familias, parejas o viajeros solos. La Terraza de las cabañas invita con las hamacas a un descanso merecido. El restaurante de Villa Paraíso es reconocido por su buena comida. Seguridad las 24 horas y un respaldo energético garantizan su bienestar. La Piscina del hotel tiene una vista preciosa al Lago de Nicaragua. Ofrecemos Paquetes para descubrir los volcanes y la Isla de Ometepe. Alquilamos caballos para excursiones a "Ojo de Agua" y a los Petroglifos al pie del Volcán Maderas. Un Tour especial es el sendero de la "Peña inculta" para observar las loras nuca amarilla en su hábitat. Este tour aporta económicamente a la conservación de esta especie en vía de extinción. También ofrecemos el servicio de transporte terrestre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Villa Paraiso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Paraiso Hotel Isla De Ometepe
- Paraiso Hotel Isla De Ometepe
- Paraiso Isla De Ometepe