“Nice setting but otherwise disappointing”

Hotel Villa Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Isla de Ometepe
San Francisco
“Nice setting but otherwise disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I was underwhelmed by this hotel despite the fact that, by most accounts, it represents the best Ometepe has to offer. Rooms in the hotel part of the complex were small and dark. I don’t mind rustic but I do mind a $30/night (pricey compared to other places I’ve stayed in Nicaragua) room with a bathroom full of bugs. Literally – my first night there they covered almost every surface. When I asked the person at the front desk if something could be done, they handed me a can of Raid. Ok, so I filled the place with fumes and was left with a bathroom full of dead bugs. I was told it could be cleaned while I ate dinner but upon returning to my room, nothing had been done. I was forced to head downstairs first thing in the morning to ask to have my room cleaned before I could shower or use the bathroom. I will say that they did respond quickly to this request.
I wish I could say better things about the restaurant as I really wanted to like the food – the menu was quite appetizing. Unfortunately, the food was not (and it wasn’t cheap) plus I’ll echo the comments of others that the staff just didn’t seem particularly attentive or friendly. I rented a bike for part of the day and was initially given one with obviously flat tires. I had to point out why I was trading it in for a different one.
The setting is pretty and perhaps the cabanas are a better option than the hotels (although I met a couple who had their hiking shoes stolen from their patio while they were trying to dry them out, post-volcano hike). Overall, unimpressive.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kimbercat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Isla Omtepe is a special place and we were pleasantly surprised by this lovely place.
The staff appreciated that tried to use some spanish, really great food any time of day including vegatarian, great prices, private cabanas, your own hammock, views of the lake. The patio by lake which was a great place to hang out after the bar closed. We organized excursions arranged by the staff, very helpful and a little spanish and tipping goes a long way!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

The french doors that open out onto the lake say it all! The first thing I did when I check in was throw open the doors and let in the warm breeze from the lake--quite lovely. I spent some time on the hammock on my front patio as well. The cabana was well appointed with a large shower, separate toilet, two comfortable beds, a small fridge, tv and everything needed for a comfortable stay. The staff in the restaurant was lovely and the food delicious--try the whole lakefish and the soup!

Room Tip: Cabana 25 is perfectly located--just you and the lake!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Poppetwo
Ashland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed at Villa paraiso for 3 nights. The cabanas were very charming and clean. The views and grounds were excellent. Unfortuanately, the food and the service (wait staff and front desk/office staff) were very poor. The staff was unfriendly and not helpful at all - they acted like they were being "put-out" with the simplest most routine requests. We took two excursions (horseback riding and the hike to the waterfall) and the guides were fantastic. I highly reccommend them. I definately do NOT reccommend staying at Villa Pariaso and will never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank LizzyLou53
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I am so glad I chose not to stay in one of the two "Towns" on the island. Villa Paraiso is on Playa Santo Domingo which is a nice beach with a great view of the volcano. The service is a bit poor -- the ladies at the front desk are somewhat courteous but for the most part act like you are bothering them and do not speak much English. And when you take a crack at your Spanish, they are less than friendly and accepting about it. The restaurant has a great view with plenty of wildlife to watch but is a bit overpriced (as compared to other parts of Nicaragua) and since the dining options on the island and in that area in particular are few you have no choice but to accept it which kind of makes you feel swindled. We had our own private bungalow with a lake view, AC & hot water but the view is blocked by overgrown foliage, the power went out every night & the water pressure was so low it was a trickle at best. We sent our clothes out for laundry and they came back with holes (I believe they were washed on rocks) and we were overcharged-- by only a couple of dollars but it, again, made us feel wary about our bill and other things they thought they could slip by us since it was charged in Cordobas. Oh, and there was a rat in our room. Sooooo, why a 'Very Good' review? Location is everything. It was a beautiful place and despite the lack of customer service and certain creature comforts I realize we were on an Island in Nicaragua!!! I was sleeping well, eating great, and hiking to beautiful waterfalls!
Oh, I DID notice however, that when I told them the electricity went out and they said the plant on the island shuts it down for a bit every night, that the main office/restaurant area still had electricity. . . AS DID the cabanas closest to that area. We were one of the furthest cabanas from the main area so keep that in mind when you book. There are trade offs and in the end the power outage didn't make that big of a difference!

Room Tip: The closer the cabanas are to the main office the less likely you are to experience the nightly &quo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chaipilates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Beautiful quiet location, AC, jot water in some cabins, super clean compared to other places in Nicaragua, close to waterfall hike and ojo de agua. Rent bikes from Roberto across the street next to the tienda. Walk down the lake to a little bar on the left with drink specials and delicious meals. Paraisos food was delicious, but slightly overpriced compared to other local places. The rooms were a great value though, especially compared to San Juan del sur and playa maderas prices

• Stayed August 2011
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

If you are going to Nicaragua, you MUST go to Ometepe--it is amazing! And if you go to Ometepe, you should definitely stay at Villa Paraiso. This place has about 30 cabin/cottages for rent. Depending on the size and if you want ac or not they go from $35-55 a night.
Rooms are nothing special, but the beach, location, and restaurant make it well worth the stay. Everything we had to eat over the course of 3 days was excellent--from the fish stew to the charrasco steak. Also, there are horses and motorcycles to rent within walking distance.
The staff are not overly-friendly and aren't able to speak much English, but we found that the case across Nicaragua, this hotel wasn't an aberration. The staff will help you book an outing or expedition though--river kayaking, hiking, etc. and arrange transportation for you to and from the ferry in Moyogalpa. My fiance even booked an in-room massage from a local through the front desk.
Overall, a good experience--I'd stay again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple