“Hike It!”

Ometepe Island Day Trip from Managua
$100.00*
Maderas Volcano Hike from Isla de Ometepe
More attraction details
Owner description: The last eruption from this dormant volcano was 10,000 years ago.
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Hike It!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Definitely do the Maderas Volcano hike. It takes about 8 hours and is strenuous, but when you climb over the rim of the crater and walk down inside to the lake, there are few experiences as breathtaking.

It is like a step back in time to some secret Jurassic place where you wouldn't be surprised to see a dinosaur saunter out of the woods. It also has a very cool and powerful feeling to it that is difficult to describe and you see a variety of landscapes from volcanic rock fields to dense jungle. You just need to go!

I would suggest a guide. There are a myriad of trails and navigating them can be tricky. People have become lost and died. The volcano looks smaller than it actually is and the whole hike is about 12km because of the long lead up to the actual crater edge. Guides can be hired at any local hotel, but check out Finca Santa Cruz at the crossroads leading to Belgue and Merida. It will cost you between $10-$15 per person.

Bring at least 3 liters of water, lunch, a couple snacks and a decent pair of shoes. I did it in Converse and my feet and knees were not happy about it the next day. Oh and you will sweat - a lot, but a tall Tona beer at the end of the day never tasted so good :)

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Mud, monkeys, cloudforests”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is not the hike for everyone. As the reviews show, some people really hate it. My boyfriend and I were fortunate enough to have picked the right excursion for us- yes it's muddy, yes it's hard, but we both found it to be absolutely incredible!

As I hiked up Maderas the surroundings reminded me of Jurassic Park, Fern Gully, Lord of the Rings. The greenest greens you have ever seen. I had never seen a cloudforest so that was pretty incredible. We saw both Capuchin and Howler monkeys, as well as some creepy crawlers and a ton of beautiful birds. I wiped out 2-3 times. Wear clothes you don't care about.

We did the whole hike in about 7 hours with 1 hour resting at the crater lake (which is SO cool), but I think that's fast compared to most folks. In my opinion, it really just depends on whether you are okay with getting dirty. As soon as I embraced being covered in mud, (or face-planting into it) I was moving much quicker. Enjoy!

1 Thank stephaniedis
Boston, Massachusetts
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A pleasant hike to a beautiful waterfall”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We hiked up to San Ramon waterfall on Maderas Volcano while we were on the Ometepe island. Our guide/driver took us to the parking lot halfway up the mountain, so the elevation gain to the waterfall was probably less than 1000'. It was a two hour round trip hike through a tropical forest full of birds. The waterfall itself is beautiful and one can stand beneath it (not recommended because of safety reasons).

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Know what to expect and you will enjoy it”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

If you like a tough day hike, with a lot of climbing, and a LOT of mud, and you aren't too worried about whether you get a great view at the end (you may, or it may be clouded over), this trip is worth it. For me it was wonderful, for my girlfriend, not so much.

A few notes: The trip up is strenuous. You should be in decent shape. You don't need to be Atlas, reborn, but if you are out of shape, you may not make it.

Have appropriate clothing and accessories: I recommend sweat pants, and hiking boots. You will also want to bring a liter of water per person, and probably some food for the top. We brought light jackets for the top too, but didn't need them. Finally a small backpack is good. Someone on our trip came with a canvas, over the shoulder bag, and it really didn't work given all of the climbing.

We saw some people go up without a guide, but I would strongly encourage you to have one (and they are theoretically required). A guide will get you where you need to go, and just as importantly get you back.

Visited January 2014
Stockholm, Sverige
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Bad luck - no view”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were a bit unlucky with the weather, it had been raining and the path was very muddy and slippery. It was also very foggy the day we went up, we couldn't see pretty much anything. Because of that the whole hike turned out to be more of an exercise boot camp (good training for sure!) and not so much a scenic experience. You don't need to be an expert climber to reach the peak, but you do need to be in somewhat shape, because it's a pretty exhausting hike.

Visited January 2014